Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dealing with negative members of a club

n1guess

How do you deal with negative members in your club. we have a guy who tends to argue with everyone and has nothing but negative things to say and no matter what he knows everything. There are several members that feel the same way. I would like for either the negativity or him to go away....How would you guys handled it and is there any rules in

USPSA that would cover this kind of thing

How do you deal with negative members in your club. we have a guy who tends to argue with everyone and has nothing but negative things to say and no matter what he knows everything. There are several members that feel the same way. I would like for either the negativity or him to go away....How would you guys handled it and is there any rules in

Unsportsmanlike conduct?

Unsportsmanlike conduct?

Let the match director know -- it's his job to deal with these problems....

Unsportsmanlike conduct?

Let the match director know -- it's his job to deal with these problems....

Yes, and in the MD's arsenal is 6.4.4.b if push comes to shove:

6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match director’s discretion, if the person:

a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or

b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport.

Invoking this rule though requires some paperwork (See 6.4.5) to be submitted to USPSA, so MD's have to think hard before going down this route.

How do you deal with negative members in your club.....

Put him on the TSCR squad.

That's actually true.

In Georgia, they have guys to handle that. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The general rule is, if you play with us, bring thick skin and broad shoulders.

Bringing your namby pamby bullshit is OK, but expect to get hammered.

Hard.

It ain't life in the fast lane....lt's life in our lane.

This road ain't easy, but it's straight.

That's actually true.

Hard.

I was on this squad to shoot my first outdoor match. No wonder I have issues...

A non confrontational conversation asking why, asking for suggestions and considering for a moment that this person is seeing things differently than you. It could be a defensive reaction to their experience in the club. It may be the only way they know how to communicate. Never attack the person. Instead of pushing them away get them more involved. That is the trick to handling 99.99999 % of these cases. Yes some will never come over but that's life but don't forget they do show up so the interest is there. Just make the effort and you may be surprised by the results.

A non confrontational conversation asking why, asking for suggestions and considering for a moment that this person is seeing things differently than you. It could be a defensive reaction to their experience in the club. It may be the only way they know how to communicate. Never attack the person. Instead of pushing them away get them more involved. That is the trick to handling 99.99999 % of these cases. Yes some will never come over but that's life but don't forget they do show up so the interest is there. Just make the effort and you may be surprised by the results.

Nah - just put a few drops of superglue in their mags when they aren't looking. :roflol:

That's actually true.

Hard.

The guys that I shoot with from FSC are the same way.

How do you deal with

We have a guy like that in our club. He is negative and loud. It took a while to realize that this was the only way, and probably place, he got people to pay attention.

Generally I politely ignore him. Sometimes I ask him to stop or be quiet, he always does when asked.

The guy knows what he is doing, talk to him like a man and hope he responds.

I second the idea of figure out how to get them involved.

In another shooting game I was involved in, we had an individual who was always complaining and argumentative. Some people tried to avoid him if at all possible, because his conversation style was to try to make people pick sides on a issue. One evening we were kind of shorthanded in having people run the line, we had him step in temporarily since we know how safety conscious he is. Some of us were a little worried though about how things would come down if he ended up watching a newbie. It turned out to be a great assignment in the end. When playing RO, he was really courteous and great to be with. Additionally, he was actually taking newbies under his wing and helping them out. Who would have known?

Anyway, the point is try to get them involved somehow. Maybe they will be an asset to match setup or teardown? Maybe he can double as a squad mom? If there is a particular thing he always complains about that maybe the direction to steer him in to see what solutions he can apply. As somebody said earlier, the fact that they showed up for the match means there is some kind of interest in the sport.

Thanks for all the help. I will try a few of the ideas and see if they help. the only problem with getting him more involved is that he knows everything about everything so hopefuly we can plug him in a place that will fit and keep him positive... i will keep you updated on the saga that is USPSA friday nights

Yeah...getting the person involved helps.

And, truly...when I am at a match, I am usually helping out too much to get bogged down with listening to one person for too long.

It is easy to find something else to do besides being in a conversation that causes you angst.

When guys start talking to me, they often find themselves on the other end of the range (because that is where I am walking to...to do the next thing)...or painting hard-cover...or carrying steel....or...