Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 MGM Ironman

OK.... Yet another rookie question. What is an average distance to expect for the double spinner? I have been practicing on one and want to make sure that I can spin it with a pistol and rifle at a normal distance. By the way this is a very evil object...... I am sure this death star will make it mark in short order also.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On stage 8, do the double-double spinners spin independently?

Yes.....they do spin independently. To much weight to spin at the same time. Now you gotta ask yourself, do you spin them one at a time or try to work on them both at once?? And of course the Death Star spins opposite of each other with 5 "no shoot" plates spinning in front of the "shoot" plates, and there are two of these things on Stage 8, plus propeller plate racks. Now....see my point for pistol ammo "run outs" and "time outs". If you don't get them in at least 30 seconds, move on to the next target. It's better to get what you can and leave a few standing than to stand there and fight with something that's gonna beat you anyway. 'Ol Termite came out of the wood work late last night and did a little more snooping with the CAD stage guy. He says, seems no one is paying attention to the name of the Stage Designer on stage 8. Go take a look see..most of you regular shooters know this warped brain stage designer from previous Iron Man matches. He spends the whole year thinking these things up, then he collaborates with the CAD guy to come up with a really tough and fun stage. One every body will remember. To him, if it ain't tough, it ain't Iron Man. BTW, no Stage description till you get to that stage. This is on purpose as it seems this one has some hidden surprises in it. CAD Stage guy pointed them out last night. They are there for everyone to see if you know what to look for. Most will not see it. I didn't until CAD guy pointed them out. Some really weird stuff there, once you see them. Wish I could be there to sit next to the "Cussin & Cryin' shed. I could make a fortune selling advice on this one. Yall have fun and let me know how this one turns out.

TERMITE :roflol:

Termite, it sounds like you got the inside scoop, come on man give it up? What can you tell us, inquiring minds want to know? How do you recommend approaching this stage, you have some of us sort of freaked out. Are you going to shoot the first match or the second one?

I would assume it wouldn't stop for anything given it's called the Ironman (except maybe lightning).

With that, any results?

I helped run Stage 7(after I DQed on the zipline) and when the wind got so strong we couldn't keep the steel up it was time to quit for the day. Walking to my truck I saw 2 Porta Potties blow over and was glad I was headed back to the motel. Probably the strongest wind I have ever been in unprotected.

Doug

post-8887-0-07394600-1339030042_thumb.jp

Edited by Doug H.

Doug, I know for a fact that you where well protected. Is was a bit breezy. See you in Bend.

As for stage 8, I should have listened to The Termite and wore an adult diaper while shooting. I was barely able to face the attack target and the death stars, but somehow I was able to struggle through. The stages where great again this year hard to pick a favorite, the scope tac shooters will have fun. Thanks to all of the R.O.'s and those good looking fellows who worked set up. Good luck and safe shooting to the scope guys and gals.

Doug, I know for a fact that you where well protected. Is was a bit breezy. See you in Bend.

As for stage 8, I should have listened to The Termite and wore an adult diaper while shooting. I was barely able to face the attack target and the death stars, but somehow I was able to struggle through. The stages where great again this year hard to pick a favorite, the scope tac shooters will have fun. Thanks to all of the R.O.'s and those good looking fellows who worked set up. Good luck and safe shooting to the scope guys and gals.

Stage 8 was fun using a pistol caliber carbine! Unfortunately my shooting buddy was DQ'd on that stage leaving me to be the only trooper in our squad (and since he rode with me he had to stay for rest of the match). He fumbled his rifle reloading on the barricade and broke the 180. Our squad started the match with 13 and ended with 9, all DQ's :(

Our last stage was 5, the the exit of the tunnel was challenging in the mud, I slipped and fell after ditching the stage pistol and then fell again trying to get back up, good thing no one was back there to see it, not my most graceful moments in the match.

Stage 8 was fun using a pistol caliber carbine! Unfortunately my shooting buddy was DQ'd on that stage leaving me to be the only trooper in our squad (and since he rode with me he had to stay for rest of the match). He fumbled his rifle reloading on the barricade and broke the 180. Our squad started the match with 13 and ended with 9, all DQ's :(

Our last stage was 5, the the exit of the tunnel was challenging in the mud, I slipped and fell after ditching the stage pistol and then fell again trying to get back up, good thing no one was back there to see it, not my most graceful moments in the match.

I would imagine that stage 5 would have been the worst in the rain. We finished on the slide in the wind and rain. After an injury delay on the squad before us (not exactly sure of the details) the first shooter on our attempted it and barely escaped getting hurt due to excess speed. The rest of us took the time penalty. I was too worn out to trust myself at that point. Hopefully next year I can get a shot at the slide.

stage 8 was definitely fun, except the door actuator was going to pot when I arrived. Kicked the door open, ready for the mover and nothing, RO yelling to activate it, I pushed the door open again and nothing, the RO slammed the door open against it as I was just putting my eyes down, the mover was passed me by the time I got my eyes back on the target opening, man that thing is fast. Then on the 2nd door, I experienced a ammo malfunction after shooting the first target, there are three turning targets that I was unable to shoot, which hurt my scoring a bit. I blazed the pistol section of that stage fairly well and the shotgun went ok, great stage, I was smiling the whole way through it.

Almost?? There is no whining I'll have to wait until I get home

I thought you made it through OK? You certainly didn't whine about it, but you were hauling @$$ by the end of the slide and managed to keep your feet! :bow:

I would imagine that stage 5 would have been the worst in the rain. We finished on the slide in the wind and rain. After an injury delay on the squad before us (not exactly sure of the details) the first shooter on our attempted it and barely escaped getting hurt due to excess speed. The rest of us took the time penalty. I was too worn out to trust myself at that point. Hopefully next year I can get a shot at the slide.

Did anyone use the rope to brake with? It's marginally slower, but much safer if you are going down the slide.

Did anyone use the rope to brake with? It's marginally slower, but much safer if you are going down the slide.

The only person I saw go down the slide was "actionshooter" on our squad. I think he tried to brace his feet against the rope, but if so it didn't slow hime much. With only a 60 second penalty for not going up (and then down) it didn't seem worth it with the risk factor. Plus, for me shooting my first Ironman I was pretty fatigued and took the other route... Wimpy, yes. But others who have shot Ironman many times decided to also pass...