Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Size of avatars

Flexmoney

Bandwidth cost $$. BE Forums and .... me.

Animated avatars cost excessive bandwith.

People with animated avatars cost me money.

I do not appreciate wasting money.

Don't EVEN ask me what I think of people to stupid inconsiderate to downsize their giant photos before posting them.....

Edited by Merlin Orr

Animated avatars could be banned. That would save a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Photos of products etc. are OK IF people posting them will post a thumbnail of sufficient size to see if the rest want to take the time to download. don't make the thumbnail too small in other words.

I can understand the problem for people with less than stellar ISP service. I have a really crappy DSL at home, FIOS at work, difference is night and day. In this day and age I pity people on dial-up and even on an aircard, it could be brutal or worse, it could get you into exceeding the monthly allowances and costing money.

Slow avatar load? You guys have to realize:

Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 20 KB

The must isn't enforced.. there's avatars > 3MB out there

If you post a link to a post with one, we could check it out.

be

Slow avatar load? You guys have to realize:

Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 20 KB

The one really big avatar, wasn't loaded to the forum, it wasa url linked to an outside gif. Brian's site didn't have the traffic, just all the forum viewers that have avatars enabled.

Animated avatars cost excessive bandwidth.

People with animated avatars cost me money.

Animated avatars could be banned. That would save a tremendous amount of bandwidth.

I had a couple of animated avatars jerk my system around unnecessarily on occasion in the past. I could do without 'em.

Animation really has little to do with the size of the avatar. Mine is only 7.62 KB and was done that way specifically to fit under a 10 KB limit on computer forum I used to be on all the time. Several static pictures I checked were over 10 KB. And I found one over 16 KB without much effort. That's a static picture that is over twice the size of my animated one.

Just an example, Jim's cat is 6.24 KB so it's only a tiny bit smaller than my animated hand and Sig Lady's "face" is 18.67 KB which makes it not quite 2 1/2 times LARGER than my animation.

We might be able to kill them animated ones... Some are fun and low band width, I think?

Yep, just because a picture has some animation in it doesn't make it big and just because it's a static doesn't make it small and bandwidth friendly. :cheers:

If you want to limit bandwidth to users.. eliminate the ability to use a url for their avatar.. so all avatars are loaded from the forum, and the size restriction can be enforced.

There's probably far too many users, that oversize linked avatars would ever be completely stopped.

And this probably hurts mobile users more, that actually have to pay for bandwidth... and people with slow connections (like satellite connections)

20k may be a little small... but what's small/large is going to differ by each person. 100K wouldn't bother me.. not sure where the limit is.

The issue isn't going to come from animated gifs, but basically small movies and a 4MB jpeg could also just as easily be linked

It's easy to turn off avatars at an individual level, but I match avatars with peoples posts faster than I can register the name..

This isn't the first time this has been discussed

Dave