Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning open gun- racked and *thumb rest [generic]* issue

kitestir

I just picked up my first open gun! Just curious how others deal with the slide racker and *thumb rest [generic]* getting in the way of removing the slide? The racker has to be locktited or it comes loose and I am sure the *thumb rest [generic]* will also! I have a 90 degree mount so the racker has to come off and the *thumb rest [generic]* blocks the slide stop!

It would be a pain to re loctite everytime you clean your gun!

So what do you all do?

I just picked up my first open gun! Just curious how others deal with the slide racker and *thumb rest [generic]* getting in the way of removing the slide? The racker has to be locktited or it comes loose and I am sure the *thumb rest [generic]* will also! I have a 90 degree mount so the racker has to come off and the *thumb rest [generic]* blocks the slide stop!

So what do you all do?

Most modify the thumbrest so that the slide stop can come out... as to the racking lever... mine is ball detented just for the reason, it never leaves the gun until I need to remove the slide, then I just pull it out :)... others that I know just use blue loctite and re-do it each time.

Alan

So what do you all do?

Welcome to Open! Ain't it cool??

The Ball detent is the way to go if you get the chance to have it done. Matt Cheely built mine and included that nifty feature without me really even knowing about it. Man, I owe that guy a beer!cheers.gif As for the thumb rest either do some filing on it or order one from Shooter's Connection that is already made for this purpose. (Racer's Cut)

I have a CR Speed thumb rest and I love them. I have tried the DAA and the *thumb rest [generic]* but the CR Speed seems to fit me better. I did not modify it but I did modify the slide stop. I grinded down the top lobe radius where the pin is at. Does not affect function and it comes out fine. This will work if you place it in the two center most holes of mount.

I also have a slide racker with a ball detent but I also have a set screw just to give me a little reassurance. My disassembly is pretty painless and quick. Also using a toolless guide rod so breakdown and cleaning is pretty easy.

Good luck

Springer Precision installed ball detents on two of my rackers and dimpled the dovetail in my slide. turnaround was real quick and priced fair. had a set screw in my first racker; it was a PITA. ball detents are the way to go. I just started using the racers cut version of the pedal with my Quinn mount and like it alot. It has the cut for the slide stop

I dont understand the need for the censor for the *pedal* thing, we talk about scope mounts, scopes, safeties, etc. all the time and this is the only thing censored?

Rest assured that we do not add words/phrases to the filter, without both considering the options and discussing the situation in the admin forum. While I won't discuss the specifics, there may be a trademark concern you are not aware of.....

Thank you,

Nik Habicht

BE Forums Moderating Team

I use to run a racker, the only one to have if you do is the detent ball version, everthing else is a pain in the rear. I run a GasPedal competiton cut on 3 guns one has none. The C-More mount screws on all guns have red locktite, they don't come lose. I have no use for a slide racker, I got rid of all of them, in winter they get hung on your clothing. A little practice with unloaded starts and I'm just as fast without it. If you gun don't run then maybe you need one or just get it fixed.

I dont understand the need for the censor for the *pedal* thing, we talk about scope mounts, scopes, safeties, etc. all the time and this is the only thing censored?

Seems I read or heard the makers of the *thumb rest [generic]* took exception to using the name and calling every thumb rest that came along a *thumb rest [generic]*.

If you ever plan to shoot any IPSC (vs USPSA), a racker is a must-have for an Open gun. Way too many unloaded/chamber-empty starts there (although thinking about it, pretty much the entire super squad has 'em in USPSA too-- and it isn't for jams...) I run mine on the right side since I'm a lefty-- no mount interference issues then and it never has to come off. ;)

With my Mod gun I had to set-screw the racker since there wasn't enough room to get the racker out underneath the scope mount due to the box limiting the racker length. Not really a big deal to unscrew it for cleaning, but be sure to keep the right wrench in your shooting bag. If you angle the screw and have a reasonably good thread, you don't have to re-loctite it all the time. A ball detent is a better setup if you can get one though.

Seems I read or heard the makers of the *thumb rest [generic]* took exception to using the name and calling every thumb rest that came along a *thumb rest [generic]*.

If they slowed down and thought about it, they might just like it that way.

For decades, people asked for a Kleenex when they meant a tissue.

"Can you Xerox this for me?"

Etc.

If you ever plan to shoot any IPSC (vs USPSA), a racker is a must-have for an Open gun. Way too many unloaded/chamber-empty starts there

you noticed huh?

I hadn't thought about it but someone recently pointed out that its a way around for Production shooters (CZ) to avoid the DA first pull. And then they shoot the whole stage with a 2 1/2# trigger. Under IPSC rules you have to have at least a 5lb first pull. This explains all the unloaded holster starts.