Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which vest 5.11 or DOMKE ?

Derek45

I need to get a better vest for IDPA

I know these two seem to be the most popular.

At a glance the DOMKE, with all the mesh, looks like it would breathe better on a hot day, but the 5.11 looks stiffer, for a better draw.

What do you think and why?

Thanks

The 5.11 for the better draw, it has integral stiffener panels. You might also want to take a look at the Dale Hunnicutt vest at www.tacticaltrainers.com. It's made from a stiff nylon like Cordura and has a mesh back for ventilation.

For IDPA I second the recommendation for the Dale Hunnicut Signature Vest from Competitive Concealment at http://www.tacticaltrainers.com

This Cordura vest is MUCH more durable than any of the cotton vests. I would go wear through the cotton lining of a "photog" vest every 6 months and my Competitive Concealment vest is almost 3 years old now and shows almost no wear. This makes it the best value by far.

It is also a very fast vest. The material sweeps well and there is nothing on the inside of the vest to catch on the gun.

The folks who make this vest are IDPA shooters and know what IDPA shooters need.

Although I don't shoot IDPA, I understand the concept.

You are supposed to be shooting "As if you were carrying in real life"

How many IDPA people would actually wear a 5.11 or any other vest in real life?

Assume it is 99 degrees and 100% humidity, How would you really be dressed? That is how you should shoot. In winter, it is -5 and windy, tell me you're wearing a dress shirt and a 5.11! More like a Parka and bib overalls.

Not bashing really, just a question. I seem to hear that a lot of IDPA Shooters say that IPSC/USPSA will yadda-yadda-yadda. Seems that they are not in generael practicing what they preach.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Domke and the 5.11 and I like them both. The 5.11 is heavier, but is IMO easier to draw from. The Domke with the mess back is nice in the summer and with the bigger open top fron pockets is great for reloads with retention.

I use the Domke more because of this reason. If there is a difference in draw time it isn't much, but with a reload that big open pocket is damn near impossible to miss, the 5.11 pocket is smaller and doesn't open as wide.

And like what someone else said just throw your top of mag in the draw side pocket.....of course you will then be classified as a gamer and shunned

I never did before this year, but I've been doing so (wearing a vest) frequently for the last few months. I think I'm annoying my friends by wearing it, but they'll have to get over it.

As I was entering the first lecture at the PS meeting in Memphis last Winter I was overheard by the presenter, who was wearing a suit, to say: "Man, look at all the 'I'm not carrying a gun vests." He laughed. :D

@ Jim Norman: thanks a lot! I shot IDPA from time to time but I feel it´s once more becoming time for something new. Same happening to IDPA as to IPSC b4.

Oh yes, I could imagine wearing a 5.11 vest daily: if I NEED the concealed holster inside the pockets. But then everybody would notice: that guy must be carrying, why else should he wear that 5.11 stuff daily.

Regards, Kraut

Hi guys,

I know zip about IDPA but I'm bit of a vest/jacket nut, and I suggest you take a look at the Scott E-Vests, especially if you shoot and are bit of a tecno-nerd with cellular phones, PDAs and what-not.

These vests have channels where you can have various wires concealed and out of the way.

I don't think that it is the "non-Shooting Public" thta we are discussing. Rather this thread started as which vest do you prefer? It has morphed into which vest is best and would you wear it in public?

I personally think that any LEO worth his paycheck would look at you in your 5.11 or your Domke and say, CW. Now, that having been said, I return to my original inquiry.

If IDPA is supposed to be real life, then why are you all wearing a vest? Shouldn't you be wearing what ever real life clothes that the current weather and or social conditions require? I mean, you are at the boardwalk with your family in August, would you be wearing your vest? You go skiing in Maine in February, Vest? Climate appropriate clothing would be the order of the day if you really wanted to make it "Real"

That having been asked, I realize that IDPA is a game, just like IPSC with just as much gaming. So wear your vests and have fun. Wear a jacket, Wear a t-shirt. Just don't go preaching that IDPA is Real and IPSC is not. And that is not to say that anyone here has done so.

As long as scores are kept on paper it is a game. IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, "Tactical" 3-gun, Rifle matches, they are all just games.

Now. let me get my 5.11 catalog out and see what I want to order next :)

Jim

Although I don't shoot IDPA, I understand the concept.

You are supposed to be shooting "As if you were carrying in real life"

Assume it is 99 degrees and 100% humidity, How would you really be dressed? That is how you should shoot. In winter, it is -5 and windy, tell me you're wearing a dress shirt and a 5.11! More like a Parka and bib overalls.

Not bashing really, just a question.  I seem to hear that a lot of IDPA Shooters say that IPSC/USPSA will yadda-yadda-yadda. Seems that they are not in generael practicing what they preach.

Jim

I don't think that it is the "non-Shooting Public" thta we are discussing. Rather this thread started as which vest do you prefer? It has morphed into which vest is best and would you wear it in public?

I personally think that any LEO worth his paycheck would look at you in your 5.11 or your Domke and say, CW. Now, that having been said, I return to my original inquiry.

If IDPA is supposed to be real life, then why are you all wearing a vest? Shouldn't you be wearing what ever real life clothes that the current weather and or social conditions require? I mean, you are at the boardwalk with your family in August, would you be wearing your vest? You go skiing in Maine in February, Vest? Climate appropriate clothing would be the order of the day if you really wanted to make it "Real"

That having been asked, I realize that IDPA is a game, just like IPSC with just as much gaming. So wear your vests and have fun. Wear a jacket, Wear a t-shirt. Just don't go preaching that IDPA is Real and IPSC is not. And that is not to say that anyone here has done so.

Jim

who appointed you the fashion police? :wacko:

If you don't shoot IDPA - why do you care??

MP

I am not speaking about fashion. And frankly, IDPA is of interest to me. I have not had a local club that shoots IDPA that I could attend, but there are a couple now that may fit into my working schedule. That being the case, I would like to know what is the requirement and what is expected.

I'll repeat that I have no problem shooting while wearing a vest, a coat, a parka or a T-shirt. Just don't tell me that IDPA is shot as if I were carrying in the real world. I doubt that very many people make a habit of wearing a 5.11 vest in their daily routines. That is what I asked and no more. Wear what you want, shoot the sport however you like, have fun doing it.

I would shoot IDPA in a light jacket that I woud wear on the street. Would I buy a 5.11 vest or other to shoot in? Yes, in a heartbeat if that is what it takes to be competitive in IDPA. My only comment is to whether it is truly street wear. And my question goes to the concept of IDPA being realistic while IPSC is only a game. They are both games.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. It is not my intent.

Jim Norman

You are right they are both games, one tries to simulate a more defensive "style" of shooting. I have seen people shoot IDPA matches in all types of cover garments. Heavy coats, flannel shirts, haiwian shirts, and a guy once wore a sport coat, but most people choose a vest of some style to "simulate" their cover garment.

Wear what you want to as long as you like it and it is safe.

Hopefully that will answer the original question, what do you prefer for IDPA,

don't know how IPSC figured in unless you want to wear it there too

You know, there are other forums out there where you can't bring up any questions about IDPA at all without it degenerating into this type of 'it's a game! no it isn't!' opinion-slinging fest ad nauseum. We've all heard it. It's not that complicated an argument. I'd bet everyone has their own opinion on it and we can leave it at that. If you don't think people should be discussing their personal opinion on which vest is 'best' for IDPA, that's fine - wear what you want. But I beg you, seriously, leave the 'tactical/on-the-street/real-life' stuff out of these threads.

Please. The 'IDPA is/is not real life' debate needs to stay in some sort of isolated location so it doesn't infect every single IDPA-related thread...which it will if it is allowed to. Not busting on you, specifically, Jim, you just happened to bring it up this time.

- Gabe

If IDPA is supposed to be real life, then why are you all wearing a vest? Shouldn't you be wearing what ever real life clothes that the current weather and or social conditions require? I mean, you are at the boardwalk with your family in August, would you be wearing your vest?

Absolutely. I sure would.

I mean, you are at the boardwalk with your family in August, would you be wearing your vest?

No, more likely I will be wearing an open Hawaiian shirt over a matching tee shirt. The colors have to go together, my daughter will have it no other way. She's my fashion police. :D

And yes, I have shot matches that way as well.