Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A or AR10

n1guess

I am thiking about buying anew rifle. a freind of mine just bought a M1A Super Match rifle and i really like it. I have been thinking about getting an AR-10 but now i am starting to lean twords a M1A. What is your guys opinion about the two witch is a better overall gun.

thanks in advance

They are different guns, and good or bad examples of each type of weapon can be had. In my opinion if you are going to shoot irons go with the M-14 pattern gun, if you plan on mounting a scope then a large frame AR might be a better choice. If you buy one and are uncertain about your descision I am sure that you would still be able to find an example of the other if need be.

Cheers!

What stlhead said. I prefer the M1A, but I only shoot irons. They can be a pain if you want to scope them.

If you're wanting to try your hand at highpower or heavy irons, get the M1A. If you want to shoot heavy optics, consider the AR 10.

If you want a fun gun, get what you enjoy.

I am thinking that magazines for an AR10 platform are going to be cheaper and easier to find.

Not to totally muddy the waters but there are also FAL clones and HK91 clones out there too.

Just wondering are the SCAR Heavy's on the market yet?

FN also makes the FNAR which I always wondered about as well.......now that Chills started mentioning other .308 options lol. If your doing Irons though I understand it doesn't come with any so avoid it unless your shooting with an optic.

I am thinking that i would like to keep iron sights becuase i have a couple ar's one with eotech and 1 with acog and i like the idea of being able to shoot irons well...sounds like i need to go with the M1a now do you go straight for the super match or stay with the national match

Get the best in your budget.

With you living in Shawnee, you're only about an hour and a half away from Bucksnort (Marshall, MO). During the summer months they have highpower matches there (out to 600 yards) almost every month. There is a modest number of guys there that still shoot the M1A & that is where I usually go to shoot. I think there is also another highpower club out around DeSoto KS, but I've never been out there.

Get the best in your budget.

With you living in Shawnee, you're only about an hour and a half away from Bucksnort (Marshall, MO). During the summer months they have highpower matches there (out to 600 yards) almost every month. There is a modest number of guys there that still shoot the M1A & that is where I usually go to shoot. I think there is also another highpower club out around DeSoto KS, but I've never been out there.

yes the DeSoto is Mill Creek Rifle club...I am a member there and they do have a hi-power club there also. I am not really that interested in competeing with rifles I am looking for the best all around gun for ME to go have fun with. still on the fence

• 3 weeks later...

M1A is a great rifle......... that frequently needs tuning, tweaking, adjusting and animal sacrifices during a harvest moon to get it do what you want.

I love my M1A and find it to be utterly reliable. A good choice for zombie apocalypse. It can be a bear as a match rifle though. I have recently delved into the .308 AR world and have found them to be silly simple to tune.

M1A gets style points and I will always love them, but I find myself using the AR. If you can, get both.

• 3 weeks later...

M1A does take more tweeking and maintanence. If you want it really accurate, you have to bed the action. Another alternative is a Sage stock. It is heavy, but it is like a bedding the action. My SOCOM is a MOA rifle once I put it in that stock. M1A is a blast to shoot. Harder, but more rewarding. You feel like a real man shooting one.

I am thinking that magazines for an AR10 platform are going to be cheaper and easier to find.

CHECK-MATE INDUSTRIES (CMI) makes a great 25 round mag for the M1A. I have 4 or them and they all run flawlessly.

Plus, the M1A has character..............

:cheers:

Agree with whistle pig on this one.

I LOVE my M-1A...loved it in The Corps, loved shooting it in my first high-power match at Lejuene many moons ago and love shooting it today.....but

A very good gunsmith friend of mine, also an M-1A addict, told me he likes how the M-1A feels, looks, etc....BUT from a pure accuracy and low maintenance POV he said the AR platforms take the prize without breaking a sweat.

Charlie is a Distinguished shooter with something like 30+ years as a gunsmith (M-1A when he went distinguished) and he really likes the weapon and he hates the "Matell Toy Plastic Whiz Bang Buck Rogers P.O.S. gun" but he also said ..."it just freaking works."

He told me he could build me an AR in either .223 or .308 and it would take him half the time as it does to do an M1A...not counting the countless trips to the range and back to the shop to finish tweaking it and all the tweaking it will need between range sessions.

Scope mounting is also a horror on the M-1A. It just eats up scope mounts and spits them out.

LRB Arms came out with the one piece receiver with the mounts as part of the receiver which MAY have been a solution to the whole scope mounting dance for the M1A but not having unlimited funds I didn't spring for one just to test it out.

Get the AR-10...Charlie is located in Wisconsin if you want to converse with him about a build....also there is George Gardner in Missouri (GA Precision) who is not too shabby at building things that go bang either.

PM me if you want Charlie's #.

JK

I’m in a similar dilemma.

I have an old Springfield Armory M1A which is beautiful and really a joy to shoot. On days I shoot that rifle well I feel like I have accomplished something. But, I’ve been jonsing for an AR type .308 because they are so scope friendly… and as others have posted the M1A isn’t at all. I’ve thought several times of selling the M1A to finance/trade for a .308 AR, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it because it is such a classic rifle. On the other hand, my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be and I know would get more use out of a scoped rifle. Ideally, I’d like to have both but I hate having safe queen rifles so for the time being I am a bit grid-locked on this.

My take, as others have said, is if you intend to scope it and want something that is easy to maintain and to reload ammo for - get the AR. If you want something classic with a huge “Awwww” and “schwing” factor get the M1A. The AR is a precision machine, while the M1A is a fine instrument.

• 1 month later...