Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to switch to a 1050?

At what annual or monthy round count, on average did you purchase a 1050?

How much has it increased your hourly production, on average, when you included loading primer tubes and other misc. tasks?

I read Brian's recommendations, but curious what others have done.

I would switch asap, if you can afford it. I had a 550 for a few years and had the money for a 1050 after selling a couple guns. I hate going back to the 550 for the anything, but I don't have all the caliber conversions I need so I have to use it. For me I can't even compare the production increase because for me it's not even close. The 1050 is the best. I have loaded about 10,000+ rounds on it so far and have not had any issues. From reading some threads here, I guess I will have a couple eventually but so far so good. :cheers: :cheers:

I'm up to north of 8,500 rounds loaded, 7,500 fired since July 4th, and even though it's not as much as some, I'm really looking hard at moving up.

Swaging, priming on the downstroke and ability to set primer depth, in addition to increased production seem very attractive, as I've been having a harder time keeping up loading on a LNL, and have someone that wants my press.

Hello: Pull the handle on the 1050 and you will be sold :cheers: I have a friend who has a 550,650 and a 1050. I loaded on all three but fell in love with the 1050 right away. At that time I was only using less than 500 rounds a month. It was worth it though. Seating the primers on the down stroke and the primer swager is a bonus. I would try to find a RL 1050 if you just load pistol ammo. It is a little nicer to load on. You may save some money also. Thanks, Eric

3 1050's with bullet feeders!!! love them and will never switch back to a 550....if you can afford it 1050's are the way to go!! I'm lazy and love it when it only takes less then 6 min to crank out a 100.

3 1050's with bullet feeders!!! love them and will never switch back to a 550....if you can afford it 1050's are the way to go!! I'm lazy and love it when it only takes less then 6 min to crank out a 100.

I only have 2, but agree. Plus with Dillon, it is like money in the bank.

Eh, I use a 550 and reload 1600-2000 rnds a month on it. The way I have things situated I can tube the primers and load 100 rnds in 11-12 min. I first started reloading on a friends 1050, and when it ran it was nice. The problem was that it would choke up pretty regularly so that killed the production level. My 550 almost never gets hung up.

It's kinda the same thing as shooting a 2011 vs a Glock. One is fast and a bit touchy while the other just will not stop working.

I would still like to have a 1050 though. It's hard to justify spending another $1k on a faster rig when I could make nearly 10k rounds with that money on the rig I have.

Edited by DoubleA

How many years do you intend to reload?

How much is your time worth?

How long are you willing to compromise with good equipment, when you know there is better that you can afford?

In my mind, it's less a question of when to switch, than when to stop rationalizing the choice not to upgrade.

I have a 650 and love it i would like to add a bullet feeder to speed it up a bit i can do about 900 an hour. what is realistic out of a 1050?? and is there any other benifits to the 1050 besides for 223?

I bought a 650 in January of this year, at the time was loading about 2-3k a month. I could not believe I had loaded ammo on a single stage for so long without upgrading. The 650 was the best thing since sliced bread. About a month ago, I picked up a RL1050. I can not believe I loaded on a 650 for so long without upgrading. The 1050 is the best thing since sliced bread.... LOL

During peak shooting months, I'm loading ~6k a month, off months about 3k. The 1050 takes a little longer to setup and dial in, but once you do this thing cranks out serious ammo. The ammo that comes out of my 1050 is easier to produce, and more consistent (OAL, primer depth, 'straight' bullets when using lead, etc).

If you're happy with what you've got for a little longer, keep an eye out for a used 1050, RL or a Super. If you don't find one by christmas, buy yourself a gift :-)

It really depends on how much time you like to spend reloading. No troubles on my Super 1050. I still use my 550 and 650's, but I wish I had purchased the 1050 sooner.

Once you run one you will understand.

Randy

If you dont need to swage heaps of primer pockets all the time, then a 650 with bullet feeder cranks out alot of ammo quickly.

Even if you had 2k brass to do, Super Swage can knock those out in a couple hrs.

I have 550, 2x 650 and a 1050 - 2 bullet feeders and PW drive

1050 is setup for automatic bulk 223, the 650s do alot of work also, and about 2 mins to change calibers.

My rule of thumb is if you measure your brass by the 5 gallon bucket, you're ready for the 1050. If you measure your brass by a smaller container, then probably the 550B or 650 better suits your needs.

I definitely understand using how many rounds one loads as a guide. However, unless my lawn was the size of a doormat, I'd rather use a gas/electric powered v. a non powered, push mower.

My rule of thumb is if you measure your brass by the 5 gallon bucket, you're ready for the 1050. If you measure your brass by a smaller container, then probably the 550B or 650 better suits your needs.

Or if you measure your cash by the 5 gallon bucket.

I have a 550 and a 1050. I love loading on both. I remember when all I had was a lee. I asked lots of folks what was so much better about a Dillon and they all just said to get one and I would see. I got one and I saw, then I got a 1050. My 1050 isn't reliable enough to go full auto, which was my initial plan, but I can crank out a ton of ammo in a very short amount of time.

This short vid may offer the answer for you: :cheers:

I'm fortunate enough to load 9 major on this actual machine my buddy owns. On my 20 year old 550, I load the minor loads, in which I shoot considerably less. My 550 also has casefeeder and can reach 100 rounds in 9.50 minutes.

As a group, we load approximately 20k+ 9 major cartridges for the full shooting season. Well worth it if you have already determined this is a lifelong passion.

Edited by flack jacket

A bullet and case fed 650 will load 100 in under 3 minutes and cost a lot less than a bullet fed 1050 that will load 100 in 2.5 minutes.

I have a case fed LNL, and there's no way I could get 100 rounds done in 3 minutes, even at a cyclic rate, that's < 2 seconds per loaded round, or 2,000 rounds per hour at a cyclic rate.

My effective rate is more like 10 minutes on average for 100 rounds, when seating bullets by hand, loading primer tubes, fixing any problem that crops up, etc.

Perhaps the 650 is just that much better a machine than the LNL to where you can achieve those cyclic rates, but not having loaded on one personally, I find it hard to believe.