Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow magazines

steel1212

I just got my CZ Shadow T a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

I am lucky in that out club has a great indoor range that's 24/7 and 10 minutes from me. I was there alone from 10PM-2AM last night.

With these mags, since I'm dropping them on a concrete floor when I reload, is there one mag that has a bottom that has a little more give to it than another? Or will I just have to replace broken bases pads when they occur?

If there is a mag with a metal base, I guess I could use 3-4 of those for shooting on concrete.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

I just got my CZ Shadow T a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

I am lucky in that out club has a great indoor range that's 24/7 and 10 minutes from me. I was there alone from 10PM-2AM last night.

With these mags, since I'm dropping them on a concrete floor when I reload, is there one mag that has a bottom that has a little more give to it than another? Or will I just have to replace broken bases pads when they occur?

If there is a mag with a metal base, I guess I could use 3-4 of those for shooting on concrete.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

Walsh, I shoot indoors at my range all the time. I shoot a weekly USPSA match every thursday plus a monthly indoor match once a month on top of the training I do. I haven't had a problem with the plastic base pads breaking.

Walsh, I shoot indoors at my range all the time. I shoot a weekly USPSA match every thursday plus a monthly indoor match once a month on top of the training I do. I haven't had a problem with the plastic base pads breaking.

Great...thanks!

Walsh

EDIT:

I see that Midway has the Mec-Gar 16 rd with flush steel plate on sale for $20 through October.

I have three 19 rounders from CZ Custom shop. I'm thinking I could order 5 of the 16 rounders (save $$$) and more readily do shooting drills requiring reloads.

I've not gone to my first IDPA event yet, but would there be any reason to be at a benefit to having the 19 rounders? And if so, are the three I have already good enough that my thoughts on getting five more 16 rounders at $20 each a good idea?

Thanks

Edited by walsh

I own a CZ Shadow custom and had Rob fit a TS .40 upper. I then sold all my factory 9mm mags and bought Mec-Gar CZSP01-40 AFC mags from Mr. Mink at $22 apiece. They not only run like greases snot but do one other very cool trick. When i carry the Shadow in the 9mm configeration the CZSP01-40 mags also runs 9mm with 0% issues. I consider this a 100% carry mag with 100% reliebility. One frame, one mag + two slides. Mec-Gar mags rock.

This will not work in the factory mag and having never owned a M-G 16rd flush fit mag, i don't know if it will work in them.

The new AFC mags from MecGar have that neat trick of being able to feed reliably 9mm and 40. Way they have the top configured the lip dimension will hold the 9mm and the way the mag is formed allows the .40 round to sit up high enough in the stack. everyone one of the AFC mags I have seen will do this, so it is pretty consistent.

the older style 9mm 16rnd MecGar will not do this.

I might have to try them out. I assume that you guys are still using +10% springs in the MecGars........

Negative. Fortunately the stock springs in the MecGars are sufficient. No issues with them.

I second purchasing them from gregcotellc.com. Great price, excellent customer service and lighting fast shipping. If he has the mag I need I won't buy it anywhere else.

PS. When I shoot limited (steel matches) I have been running a Grams engineering spring and follower with the 17 round MecGar tubes and Pearce plus 2 extension and have been able to reliably run 22 rounds of 125gr round nose bullets.

• 4 weeks later...

My metal base plate Mecgars have not fared as well as the plastic base pad SP01 mags on concrete floors. Mine all work but during a reload,when they are allowed to fall, they frequently hit the back corners and eventually become difficult to dissassemble for any cleaning or maintenance.

The CZ webstore is running a sale with 3 SP01 mags for $109. Are the CZ SP01 mags as reliable the various Mecgars for competition 10 round usage? Any reason not to run the CZ mags if the price is right?

I have found my SP-01 mags very reliable compared to my Mecgars. Especially after adding 10% springs.

I've also had problems with the Mec-gar mag not inserting all the way, it was too wide. (and it wont fit the box, not even close with the +2)

• 1 month later...

I've also had problems with the Mec-gar mag not inserting all the way, it was too wide. (and it wont fit the box, not even close with the +2)

So anybody running the Mecgar 17+2s in IDPA? I'm wondeing if they all don't fit the box and I'm going to have to have 2 sets of mags?

Been using the 16rd Mec-Gar's (they're the same as the 2 that came stock with my new 75B Stainless) just with the CZ rubber base pads added lately, and I've grown to like them quite a bit. The $9 a pop for the base pads is kinda expensive, but the mags themselves are only $20, and with those pads on there they're pretty much bombproof, after repeated drops onto concrete mine look good as new and the springs in these 16rd Mec-Gar mags seem to be strong enough to go a long while without needing to be changed...

I'd give these (Mec-Gar 16rd + CZ rubber base-pad) or the 17rd Mec-Gar AFC mags my votes as being the best choices for the long haul without headaches.

Okay, after reading about extra mags and the variety of capacity and base plate types, and where to get them from and free shipping, etc., I think it's figured out.

So here is the mag(s) I plan to purchase for the CZ SP01 Shadow unless a big red flag (someone chimes in) goes up:

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=591&zenid=5cc574322f349589b98c5c82a2c1aaca

Prices seem to be the same for the 3 best sources, and one has free shipping (but they're iffy on actually shipping). But I'd like to support the little guy.

$6 for shipping 5 of the AFC 17rd with the good powerful stock springs. If I remember correctly, 5 mags is enough for any Production stage.

I ordered the pistol this morning and have already sold the 3 oem 19rd mags to a coworker for a very fair price; he is looking for more plinking capacity out of his old CZ75b (my old CZ75b, sigh).

Edited by YamaLink

Okay, after reading about extra mags and the variety of capacity and base plate types, and where to get them from and free shipping, etc., I think it's figured out.

So here is the mag(s) I plan to purchase for the CZ SP01 Shadow unless a big red flag (someone chimes in) goes up:

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=591&zenid=5cc574322f349589b98c5c82a2c1aaca

Prices seem to be the same for the 3 best sources, and one has free shipping (but they're iffy on actually shipping). But I'd like to support the little guy.

$6 for shipping 5 of the AFC 17rd with the good powerful stock springs. If I remember correctly, 5 mags is enough for any Production stage.

I ordered the pistol this morning and have already sold the 3 oem 19rd mags to a coworker for a very fair price; he is looking for more plinking capacity out of his old CZ75b (my old CZ75b, sigh).

Wish I still worked, and with you! Those are great for 75B that shoots steel--I borrow my son's.

5 should be enough, but once in a great while even local stage set-ups may require 5. That means you won't have a back pocket/"spare mag" in case of a problem.

Edited by 1SOW

Wow, talk about service from Greg! Ordered this afternoon and mags shipped today via priority mail with online confirmation. Thiiiiink I know where my future mag orders will be coming from.

Greg is good people. Service has always been great with him