Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racers cut gaspedal

Sarge

I think I'll go ahead and order a black racer's cut *thumb rest [generic]* from Shooter's Connection this evening. I think the standard *thumb rest [generic]* is just too big. I just thought I would see if I can get some feedback on them before buying.

From what I can see they appear to be smaller than the original and they allow removal of the slide without taking them off. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

Kevin

love mine, although i did have to cut mine because i like it further back than most. I just trim forward to the first screw hole and it makes it perfect for my short thumbs and still can take the gun apart without taking it off.

301248_10150319254414375_525799374_7595032_714073238_n.jpg

Edited by Mat Price

Wow ordered it Friday night and it was here when I got home today. Utterly impressive!

I'm going to bolt it on in a few minutes. What is the sweet spot for mounting? I don't want to assume it is as simple as "it will just feel right". Those of you who are much more experienced in Open and use a thumb rest have any words of wisdom for mounting?

I have mine mounted starting with the rear hole on my Quinn 2 mount. My hands are large and this feels comfortable to me. The idea behind the *thumb rest [generic]* thumbrest is that pressure is applied to the side of the gun not foward or down. If you go to thier website it explains the design and proper use of the rest. Hope this helps.

Mine is mounted to the rear-most sight mount hole, but it really depends on how long your thumb is.

If mounted correctly, it should cause your weak hand grip to squeeze. Make sure to tell Dr. Chet

thanks, he had a ton of stuff on the Nationals Prize table.

• 4 weeks later...

just put one on my Open gun, so far I like it and its going to stay on. first thing I noticed is that it really locks your weak hand in giving you a stronger firmer grip. precise shots are a little easier now. I want to say that my splits have improved a little but I still shoot the Open gun like a turtle (high B class) so I cant say for sure. definitely feel like I have more control. havent put in enough dryfire time to get used to the new grip yet. mine is installed on a Quinn 2 mount.

Blaster,

Glad to hear its working out for you! Yes, it definately will give you a better, opposable grip, while allowing your trigger finger to relax.

Consider the recent World shoot in Greece. Only 6 of 29 stages were won with the neutral grip, while 23 of 29 stages were won with the opposable grip. Of course Eric Grauffel won the overall again using an opposable grip. The Neutral Grip has not won the World shoot since 1996 when Todd Jarret won.

It looks like those guys who figured out the original thumb rest back in 1990s were right all along? Something to think about

Blaster,

Glad to hear its working out for you! Yes, it definately will give you a better, opposable grip, while allowing your trigger finger to relax.

Consider the recent World shoot in Greece. Only 6 of 29 stages were won with the neutral grip, while 23 of 29 stages were won with the opposable grip. Of course Eric Grauffel won the overall again using an opposable grip. The Neutral Grip has not won the World shoot since 1996 when Todd Jarret won.

It looks like those guys who figured out the original thumb rest back in 1990s were right all along? Something to think about

very interesting facts. after using my pedal for such a short time I can see the advantages of it. plus it makes my racegun look even more high speed :goof:

Blaster,

I asked you this on another forum and never got an answer.

What is the opposable grip compared to the neutral grip? I don't even know what they are.

That being said, my left thumb is WAY further forward that the gaspedal would allow me to get.

• 1 month later...

I agree, they need a *thumb rest [generic]* for those of us who throw our thumb way forward to get the strongest weak hand grip possible. Let's remember, it's not the end all, do all. Grauffel may have won first in the world shoot with a *thumb rest [generic]*, but Racaza got second with the weak hand thumb way forward grip :D .

The racers cut GP is simply a great addition to an open gun and I wish I added one to my gun sooner. In fact, for years, I didn't think much of this add-on, discounting it as a gimmick. And was I wrong.

I've had many open guns and my latest one is a full-size Major 9mm with a bull barrel and titanium comp. I shot this for 20 months but wasn't satisfied with its still-relatively heavy recoil. I decided to switch to a steel comp to help reduce recoil. At the same time, I asked my gunsmith to install the *thumb rest [generic]*. I had it installed in September but didn't have a chance to fire the gun until a match in November. I happened to win this match while shooting with new totally new configuration - and after not firing a shot for four months.

First off, a steel comp is nearly a necessity for a Major 9mm gun, making it much more controllable and easier to shoot than a titanium comp. The racers cut GP was icing on the cake. It helps you get a firm weak-hand grip and it even helps correctly position your strong hand, too, making it much easier to drive the gun, manage recoil, and call your shots. I finally found the right combination!!! I even tried to fire the gun without using the racers cut GP and there's a considerable difference in recoil and dot tracking. Simply stated, it was worse without the racers cut GP.

The racers cut GP is the equivalent of adding another contact point to your gun. So, instead of have just one and a half points of contact, you now have two points (full strong hand, half weak hand, half thumb), which improves overall shootability and handling. [On a similar note, a rifle has four points of contact (buttstock, cheek weld, pistol grip and forearm), which is why it's easier to shoot.]

In the pics below, my gunsmith reduced the width of the racers cut GP, added checkering on the pad, and removed and rounded the rear section of the item.

th_Major9GasPedal1sm.jpg

th_Major9GasPedal2sm.jpg

th_Major9GasPedal3sm.jpg

I have mine mounted starting with the rear hole on my Quinn 2 mount. My hands are large and this feels comfortable to me. The idea behind the *thumb rest [generic]* thumbrest is that pressure is applied to the side of the gun not foward or down. If you go to thier website it explains the design and proper use of the rest. Hope this helps.

School me on this please, why would you want more pressure on the side of the gun instead of down or forward to reduce muzzle flip? I know that when shooting strong hand only the gun will recoil to the left, but that is because the weak hand is missing. Even with a production gun, simply adding the weak hand brings the recoil back to straight up and down. I use my *thumb rest [generic]* to push forward and down. I have it mounted on the farthest hole from me as possible.