Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Are You Now?

BDH

It seems like the following question comes up from time to time (most recently in Paul B's 'us vs them' thread), and we have kicked this around before, but I must be missing something..... "Why do we often see the same range staff at all the big matches"?

Of course there are lots of reasons for this, and we can all debate the pro's and con's, but I am going to first share my reasons for choosing NOT working the 3 Gun Nationals followed by why I changed my mind (this week) TO WORK the 3 Gun Nats.

BDH Reasons NOT to work the 3 Gun Nats.....

1) Reno is a long way from Ohio, cost of airfare, car rental etc.

2) I was asked last year to work the Summer Blast (second weekend in June)...

3) I really need to support my home State match (Buckeye Blast) on the third weekend in June....

4) My wife would kick my ass if I was out the second, third, and fourth weekend (3 Gun) in June (especially since it isn't just the weekends, it is half the weekdays as well)...

5) I'm working Area 3, Area 5, and the Pistol Nationals... :blink:

6) It is critical for me to be at work at the end of June because it is the end of Q2

7) I only have so much vacation time...

BDH Reasons TO work the 3 Gun Nats.....

1) We are short staffed AGAIN...

2) I like the sport, I like the shooters, etc.

3) I am a glutton for punishment....

However, my main reason TO work the 3 Gun is that we are short staffed, so that is why you guys will see me at both the 3 Gun and the Pistol Nats. I had not planned it that way, but I tend to be the kind of person where if we need the help, I will jump in and try to help make this a smooth running match.

I guess what I would love to know is the following:

1) I see the sizable list of new RO's and CRO's in every issue of Front Site. While I realize that not everyone has a desire to help out at anything other than a local club match, there have to be others that would be willing to help us put on some of the premiere matches. Where are you, and why have you not volunteered to help with at least one match?

2) Is this a domestic US issue, or is this prevalent around the World? It seems to me that this is more a domestic than International problem and I think that Uncle Vinny will attest to the fact that IPSC always has a much larger pool of staff applicants at the big IPSC matches, than they have positions available.

Anyway, I would love to know the reasons why we do not have more people that volunteer to work the big matches, and how we could attract those of you that have thought about it, but just haven't taken the plunge. For the most part, it is rewarding work, and heck, I think even Shooter Girl will attest to the fact that she had fun, learned some stuff, but also saw a whole different side of things by working Bend last year. Wouldn't it be great to have the World Shoot problem where USPSA had twice as many staff applicants as positions available? Then staff could be carefully picked to give you only the best qualified staff.... show you some new faces.... get more experience down to the local club level.... and allow some of us to actually shoot one of these again.....

What's up??? :huh:

I think you've called it pretty well right, including why you shouldn't work and why you should. It's the same here (UK) as well.

I seem to recall a few years back that I acted as RM at 13 out of 13 shotgun matches. And I was teaching seminars. And Basic Safety courses. And competing. etc., etc.,

"'er indoors" doesn't understand things too well when it's like that!

Why I won't work any more big matches:

1) Don't want to be lynched in our national magazine AGAIN for doing the very best I could officiating a stage that made NOBODY happy due to it's design. :(

2) Being told there was no room for me at the Nationals when I wanted to shoot. Insult to injury - then reading the interview our national magazine that year of the shooter that only started shooting a couple of months ago and what a great time she had shooting the Nationals. :blink:

3) Having to call the MD up 2 months after the match to remind her that she owned me money. Then being accused of lying and having to have several people who saw me work it call her and confirm that I worked the match. :angry:

( Founding a club, running matches, all the other "STUFF" - ended up so burned out that I walked away from the sport for years.... )

First, I highly respect those core cadre of volunteers that seem to show up at every major match - thank you very much!

I've worked an Area match, a State matche, and a 3-Gun Nationals a few years ago - but those matches were in my backyard. However, I don't volunteer anymore due to lack of time and or travel funds. (But if my home club hosts a match, I can help)

I have a hard enough time just getting time off to shoot the occasional larger match. With the current trend of 3-4 day (or longer) matches, who has that much vacation?

I'm shooting Area 4, and the Nats - thats 7 days of vacation I'll need this year, including travel time, not counting weekends, just for those two matches.

If you volunteer as staff, now you need about twice the time off, for the preceeding days of setup and R.O. match, plus the actual match.

I think one reason that you see the same match Staffs year after year is that alot of those people are those that enjoy or feel rewarded for that aspect of our sport.... plus those people are able to and/or make a decison to use all their time off for this purpose. Not everyone is cut out to R.O., or can justify to their families that they will burn 90 % (or all) of their yearly vacation for shooting.

I wish I was self employed, or had a more flexible job, so I could devote more time, and contribute more to our sport..... but for now, I'll just show up and shoot I guess. <_<

I work both weekend days from 4:30 p.m. -12:30 a.m. When I shoot a local match it means a 16 to 18 hour stretch of activity usually following about five hours of sleep. It's worse on the weekends where I've double booked shooting for both days --- something that I'm now trying to avoid. It's worse on the day of the match I co-direct, it's an 18 hour day of more work --- both physical and mental, as the questions, comments, and issues continue to roll in --- and on the day where I design and build a stage for a neighboring club. I've got eight paid days of vacation/sick/personal time this year. By the time I leave for the Nationals to shoot, I'll be down to two days. The rest of the days I need to take off, I'll be paying for. Right now, I simply don't have the time or the cash to R.O. big matches --- unless I choose to not shoot. At some point in the future, I'll be willing to make that choice, but that time has not yet come.

Brian --- and all the others who I see when I walk up to a stage at a big match --- Thank You! You make it possible for me to come out and play at matches where I have few responsibilities.

I hope a few thoughts won't generate too much thread drift.

I was intrigued by the comment from BDH about IPSC seeming to have a bigger pool of match staff.

Are there more people training outside the U.S.? What does the training consist of for IROA?

I wonder if the normal IPSC stage is easier to set up and take down thereby generating less burnout in match staff. I know major IPSC matches have more low round count stages than the majors here in the U.S. (the last time I shot the Florida open I think the 10 stages averaged 28 rounds each).

Are the majors in IPSC normally scheduled differently? I know in Europe there is statistically more vacation available to the average worker than in the U.S. Could this have an effect?

Sorry if there are so many questions, but this may be an important point to understand coming from someone (me) who worked big matches and even ran a club but got toasted pretty severely.

It's just time and money, Brian.

I feel sick that I can't even help RO the IN State match at my local club, but with it scheduled at the end of the month I can't get the time off. Even if I COULD it would cost me at least $1000 to do so.

Time and money.

I feel really bad for chutist who apparently donated the time and got hosed for it. Is there anybody in a USPSA leadership position who would like to address his concerns? It seems he may have a few things to get off his chest.

Tom Bergman

Why I won't work any more big matches:

1) Don't want to be lynched in our national magazine AGAIN for doing the very best I could officiating a stage that made NOBODY happy due to it's design. :(

2) Being told there was no room for me at the Nationals when I wanted to shoot. Insult to injury - then reading the interview our national magazine that year of the shooter that only started shooting a couple of months ago and what a great time she had shooting the Nationals. :blink:

3) Having to call the MD up 2 months after the match to remind her that she owned me money. Then being accused of lying and having to have several people who saw me work it call her and confirm that I worked the match. :angry:

( Founding a club, running matches, all the other "STUFF" - ended up so burned out that I walked away from the sport for years.... )

First, I'll be happy to try to help Chutist in any way that I can.

Chutist, if you want to PM or email me the details, I'll see what I can do.

Be aware that if this was not a National championship match, my help may be limited, but I'll still do what I can.

Second: Why I'm not going to the 3 Gun Nationals: because nobody involved with that match could tell me whether I was on staff (or if there was going to be a match at all) prior to my deadline for scheduling vacation. Due to a new assignment at work I'm forced to schedule my vacation in advance. Since they couldn't meet the deadline, or answer direct emails, I had to withdraw my application.

Third: Why I'm working Area 4, Area 3, and the USPSA Pistol Nationals--Because somebody's got to do it.

That's really the bottom line people: Somebody's got to do it.

It helps that I like doing it, and enjoy working with good friends. I also like to see a project, any project, come together. I also like to see new range officers learn from more experienced ones, and Nationals is a good place for that.

Troy

I would love to help with larger matches(RO @ Space City Challenge 02,03, 04) but I am not rich and don't have 8 weeks of vacation a year. I am a hunter first, competitive shooter second. I spend more time hunting in Oct., Nov. than working. It eats up my vacation time. Travel expenses would bankrupt me. How do the guys that work "all" the big matches afford that? Independantly wealthy? I RO at two local matches and one large match per year. That is about all I can manage. Wish I could do more. ANyone want to contribute oh maybe $10000 a year to my travel budget? TXAG

Don't feel bad about what you are contributing to the sport. Space City is a great match, and without your help, they couldn't be as successful. Nobody is saying that you should dedicate all your free time to working matches. Sounds like you have a good balance going right now.

Troy

Okay, so to net this out so far......

• been there, done that, and I'm burned out...
  • previous bad experience (was this only one bad experience? I would hope that was an exception :huh: )
  • time (either lack of vacation time, or the time pressures of family, local match stuff, etc)
  • I just want to shoot (cool)
  • not everyone is cut out to RO (agreed)
  • travel funds (are you aware that the USPSA does help offset 'some' of these?)
  • not enough advance notice to schedule vacation (I FULLY agree)
  • have plenty of vacation time, but choose to spend it on other interests (hunting or other)

These are certainly all understandable. Anything else hanging out there?

I can add one.... I think the first Nationals I worked, I was probably more nervous about making a mistake that impacted someone's match, than I was nervous about the first Nationals I shot! :blink: I assume I was not alone with that feeling, but can tell you not to worry about it. Plenty of people to help you along, and it is great experience to take back to your local club (as Troy clearly stated). ;)

Because somebody's got to do it.

That's really the bottom line people: Somebody's got to do it.

It helps that I like doing it, and enjoy working with good friends. I also like to see a project, any project, come together. I also like to see new range officers learn from more experienced ones, and Nationals is a good place for that.

All valid points, and probably one reason why you and I get along! ;)

Also, let me clarify something..... I am certainly NOT looking to beat anyone up over the fact that they can not work a big match, OR that they simply choose not to work a big match. That is not the issue. I am simply trying to figure out if there is some reason that I may not be aware of, that we don't see more new staff throw their name in the hat for Nats, etc.

Now where is my new IROA brother Uncle Vinny when I need him? Vince, didn't you tell me that you had something like double the number of staff applications for the World Shoot, than you had available positions to fill? Also, I think Paul B raised some valid questions. Oh Uncle Vinny...... :ph34r:

Travel expenses would bankrupt me.  How do the guys that work "all" the big matches afford that?  Independantly wealthy?  I RO at two local matches and one large match per year.  That is about all I can manage.  Wish I could do more.  ANyone want to contribute oh maybe $10000 a year to my travel budget?  TXAG

TXAG, of course, I can only answer for myself but here you go....

Most of the matches I work are within driving distance, and we often have two to four staff that we pile into one ride. Whoever drives, does not pay any gas, and the rest of us split it. Actually, the road trip usually turns out to be a blast. :D

The last two years I did have to fly to Bend, but everything else was a drive. Fortunately, I often have to travel on business, so if I can not get what I think is a really good fare, then I will just cash in miles for the ticket. This year I have to fly to two matches (Summer Blast, and 3 Gun). I 'could' have driven to the Summer Blast, but chose to save the road time. One big issue is that if I fly it, I either have to bum a ride, or rent a car. If I rent a car, I try to split it with a couple of other staff.

Most of the major matches pick up hotel costs (low cost hotels, and double occupancy of course). Also, majors usually pick up at least range food (lunch, and sometimes breakfast and lunch). So dinner is usually the only out of pocket expense.

I guess the bottom line for me personally is that it really doesn't cost me much out of my pocket, it is more a time issue. Fortunately, I've been at the same job for 20 years, and have the vacation time to show for it. I also have a very understanding spouse, who does not have the same amount of vacation time. We also both work, and do not have children, pets, or other things that take time, money, etc. Finally, if working a big match takes a little money out of my pocket, that's okay. I am doing something that I like to do... it is one thing that takes my mind completely off of work... I am doing it with people that I like to be around... and I have the flexibility to help out USPSA. Of course the things I just listed in this paragraph, also probably make me a non-typical member of USPSA. ;)

Okay, so to net this out so far......

These are certainly all understandable. Anything else hanging out there?

Well there's still the overall issue that some of us would be likely to help out at big matches but are having trouble finding the training to qualify us to do so ... but that deceased equine has already been flagellated on another thread :P

My reason for not working 3-Gun Nats? Simple. Scheduling. There is too damn much going on in June and on the weekend of 3-Gun Nats I already have to be in 2 places at once (both of which I committed to almost a year ago not knowing exactly what weekend they would be scheduled on).

I actually did apply to staff the 3-Gun Nats and then a month later the calendar for the month of June firmed up and I had to withdraw my application (which didn't keep them from accepting me as staff...but that is another story).

Apparently MV didn't know about all the other matches going on in June. At one time I think I had it figured out that there was a 3-Gun match on every weekend in June. Very, very few people are going to blow every weekend in a month.

Pistol Nats: I refuse to go to IL. Plain and simple. National Matches need to be held in gun friendly states. IL is not gun friendly so we should not be supporting their economy with our food and lodging money.

Pistol Nats: I refuse to go to IL. Plain and simple. National Matches need to be held in gun friendly states. IL is not gun friendly so we should not be supporting their economy with our food and lodging money.

Yeah but at least this year it within driving distance for me, so I'm going. Bend was not feasible as destination for me the last couple years.

Thread drift: So maybe it'll be in Florida next year to even it out for the East Coasters? :)

Brian...I have been waiting for this issue to come up, and been slobbering to answer since I read the post!!! Here goes:

When I attended the tournament directors seminar in Orlando last November, I was VERY intimidated!!! Not by any one individual, but with the whole experience...at first. I was greeted by Ken H. from Texas with the statement of: "You're here with the "who's who" in USPSA...The shakers and movers". I was awe struck at first. I even felt out of place somewhat.

But then, as the weekend wore on, an amazing thing happened...These were just people who wanted to help the sport, and they are no different than me!!! A little more experienced in major match production to be sure, but they weren't super-human. Now, not for an instant do I believe that Ken meant to intimidate me...rather, I think he meant for me to pay attention, and listen a little more than I talk. I can live with that, and I did learn a lot.

My credentials may look good on paper: CRO, asstinat MD at a level III tournament, and a few club matches, but in truth, I had only been in USPSA two years, and had attacked the NROI process only because my club did not have a CRO to sign off on the match (level III...a requirement) if our guy we had backed out that year. Luckily he didn't, and we had a great match due to some very experienced people in our club. In short, somebody had to get official credentials in a hurry, so I did it for the club, but I was a greenie.

Anyway...By the end of the weekend, this relative newbie was starting to relate to these "icons" in USPSA, and after working up the nerve, I brought up the issue that has people in my neck of the woods not officiating at the higher levels. I asked Denise and Arnie why the nationals match staff was always to same old group of tight-knit cronies (the usual suspects) that shunned newbie match staff, and kept them from participating due to their cold reception.

They were shocked!!! They said that they felt it was the other way around, and that they wished other people would offer to help. I am working my first nationals this year, and will let you know what I think afterward. Suffice to say though...and I have heard this from more than a few people...there are some people that feel that national match staff is a bunch of elitist, snooty sorts that are part of "the click", and don't treat the newbie RO's with much respect, and feel that they are better than everyone else.

It may just be part of the US vs Them mentality in the shooter ranks, but some of these people are level I RO's...so it does give me pause. After the TD seminar was over, I didn't feel this to be true, but I was at one of those "in crowd" events, so I may have been given special consideration...not really sure.

But one thing is for sure...some people have the perception that I outlined above. We'll just have to see how it plays. I don't see how some people can feel that working a match in 100 degree heat for a week is something a snobby person would want to do, so the naysayers opinion does give me pause.

This brings me to my next point...Nationals. All the senior staff that I have encountered ( even someRMI's) have indicated to me that nationals is a pressure-cooker, and it is even mentioned in the level I and II courses. It is true, due to the fierce competitiveness for titles, prizes, glory and such (emotions do run high I understand), and I can see how it can be tense at these events...but advertising this is a bit intimidating to new pupils in the NROI ranks, and they are turned off before they even consider the possibility of working one.

We have to bring people along, and nurture them, and instill confidence...not intimidate. Even fellow club members tell these people this, and unless you are a type "A" personality with a set of whoombas like me who can maintain control of said personality traits, then you probably won't ever try it. You're afraid of the match staff, the competitors, and frankly, the whole experience.

Most people will say: "Screw the experience...I am not burning all my vacation time to get kicked like a dog by some pompous ass (CRO, RM, top competitor)!!!". RO's, CRO's and RM's need to be firm, yet approachable and strive to maintain a level playing field for all the competitors (and competitors need to not abuse the volunteers). That is sometimes not an easy mix.

I think I have what it takes, and am willing to make the jump to hyperspace. I may be stuck up on that God-forsaken hill, sweating my ass of, with no water, with John Amidon as my RM (with a bullhorn), running a stage with 6 movers, with two speed shoots right before my stage with the two greenest RO's they could dig up, but by God Almighty, I will not have a bottleneck, and I'll get 'em through in 3 minutes!!! That is just my attitude, so I am willing to let 'er rip. But most people aren't as gung ho as me, and willing to learn at all costs and just go for it. I think this an issue that needed to be brought up.

Some of the above people may have these other "issues" that they have mentioned, but there is an underlying perception such as the one I have described, and it needs to be attended to and addressed in a public forum (ala Front Site) to clear the air and bring this issue to the forefront. We need to show that the "higher-ups" want to use nationals as a training tool, and make that fact well-known if it is the case. Let's face it...the air is different at nationals events, and that air can sometimes be suffocating. As a side-note, the idea to return to a single pistol nationals (for understood cost considerations) does not allow people to gain nationals match staff experience and still shoot in their division.

Last year, for example, you could work factory gun and then attend limited nationals as a competitor. That option is not there any longer. It does present a problem, as people want to shoot too, and the RO match just isn't the same for some people (amount of stages, prizes, etc...I, however, could care less, as I am there to take this knowledge back to my home club.).

I understand also, that there could be thoughts (from competitors) that there was some impropriety if a match staff person won the match when they were being run by their NROI "cronies" on a seperate day or days. It's a tough mix, and does complicate things in regards to getting the match staff required for these events. This is just what I have observed...I hope it gives this board something to ponder.

Jeff :unsure:

With Reno only 4 hours away and me with unlimited free time, I don't have a good excuse not to RO the 3 gun. Oh wait, gas is $2.25 a gallon, I need to stay a week in a motel and eat out, and come match time it will be a whole year since my last paycheck.

I don't know, I still might RO. I've been feeling guilty about not ROing, always seeing the same ROs at every nationals.

Erik, USPSA will pay mileage up to whatever budget limit they have set; (in the past it's been something like $300 per person for travel--mileage is paid at the non-profit rate, which is a little lower than business rate), and cover your room for the duration of the match. They should also feed you at least lunch on the range. Just keep track of your mileage.

That should help with your $$ concerns, at least a little. :)

HTH.

Troy

I think I have what it takes, and am willing to make the jump to hyperspace. I may be stuck up on that God-forsaken hill, sweating my ass of, with no water, with John Amidon as my RM (with a bullhorn), running a stage with 6 movers, with two speed shoots right before my stage with the two greenest RO's they could dig up

Damn, John, they've discovered the secret plan!!! :o

Seriously, Ray Hirst and I will not let you go without water, nor will we subject you to inexperienced help, and we'll all be within a radio's call away to answer any questions. We've got about the best "Mr. Fixit" there is, too.

I do like to give about a 90-minute lecture to all the newbies, though. ;)

The bullhorn is a great idea, BTW--THANKS!! :rolleyes:

Troy

I brought up the issue that has people in my neck of the woods not officiating at the higher levels.  I asked Denise and Arnie why the nationals match staff was always to same old group of tight-knit cronies (the usual suspects) that shunned newbie match staff, and kept them from participating due to their cold reception. 

Jeff,

When I read this I was shocked. I was a brand new RO last year and worked the FGN. Everyone was very helpfull and could not have been more supportive. Barry in July was hot. And humid. And the days were long. Grumpy people would have been in order but I did not see any. I spent evenings in the same bars and restaurants as all the staff who seemed to have been around for ever. Troy, Ray, Arnie, Denise, Jay, Brian and many others whose name escape me right now were friendly as could be, were free with welcome advice and tips and told great stories at the Ritz. They were even pleasant when I screwed up. (I'll tell that story another time). Everyone, from the MD, RMs, CROs, ROs and office staff to the cafeteria ladys in S&W hall seemed quite happy to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. They succeeded. If there was a "group of tight-knit cronies (the usual suspects) that shunned newbie match staff, and kept them from participating due to their cold reception" they did not make it to last Summers FGN.

The competitors were great as well. From the D shooters through the super squad I don't think one managed to get through our stage without thanking each of us for putting in the time to run the stage. (Unless of course Denise, Duane and I had the best run stage at the match? :P )

Dale

Dale:

I'm sure you are right, and that it is merely a perception. But that still doesn't mean that it shouldn't be addressed to clear the air and help promote the "nationals learning process". I think we need to more effectively get the word out that we NEED people to come out and learn about major match production. Most of us will never RM or MD in anything above a level III, but it does help to ELEVATE the area and sectional matches when people "earn their stripes" at a nationals event. We just need to make the experience a little more user-friendly (IMHO).

People need to feel comfortable, and need to be guided in the right direction. Unfortunately, not being open, or not addressing this type of concern leaves the prospective RO in a sort of "limbo" as they aren't sure it is for them. To get them to commit, they need to be approached, and reassured that it is a beneficial experience for them as a RO, and to their home club. I think an outreach program is in order. Something in the NROI column perhaps??? And I mean on a regular basis. Not a one-time wham, bam, thank you m'am.

We need to educate people on how they can get involved in major match production, RO'ing at higher-level matches (areas, sectionals, etc). Tournaments are a great place to start, as they have a formality and for lack of a better term, strictness, that would foster a sense of respect for adhering closely to the rules...even at the local level. It would upgrade matches across the country, and help maintain a consistent baseline nationwide. A column dedicated to getting more involved would be helpful.

Imagine if people all learned to chrono from Greg Lent (OK...I hear he's eccentric, to say the least), or learned stats from "the girls of USPSA" (gosh, I need to get into "stats"), or were able to learn how to MD by walking beside a Ray Hirst at Nationals? I don't know about anybody else, but I will have my notebook out, and will be listening a hell of a lot more than I talk. I'm a youngin' (only 35), and have learned that educating those around you helps alleviate the burden on yourself, as there are more people to spread the workload around.

I don't want to burn out in 2 or 3 years, so everytime I learn something, I tell the 20-30 RO's and CRO's that we are fortunate enough to have at our small club. They grow, the club grows, and we all reap the benefits of only having great matches, and best of all, we only need to MD once a year since there are so many qualified people to do the work. I can show up and just shoot if I want to, and be rest-assured that our club is gonna have a bang-up match (pun intended)!!!

Just tryin' to help...I tend to look at the big picture a lot.

Jeff :D

BDH,

To answer your question, yes, at major IPSC matches, the ratio of RO slot applications to RO slot availabilty is typically 2:1 or higher. For example, at WSXIII, there were 80 RO applications for 35 RO slots, and this is because IROA officials consider it an honour to be selected to officiate at such a prestigious match. In fact, IROA offiicals often spend +24 hours travelling to matches.

However even in respect of Level III matches, I can't think of a match where the number of RO applicants didn't exceed the number of RO slots available.

Pistol Nats: I refuse to go to IL.  Plain and simple.  National Matches need to be held in gun friendly states.  IL is not gun friendly so we should not be supporting their economy with our food and lodging money.

Kimel, I don't disagree with you on this, but am curious if you have been to Barry, Quincy, and the surrounding area? Seems pretty pro-gun to me, including all the 'Guns Saves Lives' signs along the Interstates. In fact it seems that most of the Quincy locals WANT USPSA in town because they see such a spike in business.

I fully agree that Chicago and the IL politicians are about as bad as they get, but do you also avoid MA, NY, DC, CA (and on and on)? Not trying to beat you up on this.... free Country and everyone gets their choice.

I hate the IL anti-gun position, but would also hate to pass up one of our best facilities because of that. ;)

Barrettone: First, GREAT post. Lots of good stuff in there, and I thought that there may have been some of that perception floating around. Thanks for bringing it out for discussion. ;) Second, which Nationals are you working? Since I will be at both, we need to hook up.

Erik:I can confirm Troy's comment and it is $300 for the 3 Gun. In addition, there is normally a small daily cash allowance to help cover dinner (I can not confirm that however, because I don't have my staff packet yet). Love to work with you at the 3 Gun. BTW, think of the fun we could have putting together a stage with all BE forum range staff...

Vince: Thought so. Of course the World Shoot is the highest level we can go, so who wouldn't be proud to be on that team! I suppose the other thing is that IPSC is pulling from a Global pool of range staff, while USPSA is generally pulling from a domestic pool (although occassionally we get someone in from overseas for Nationals).

All: I'll tell two quick stories (and then have to get my ass back to work)....

First story

BDH is a CRO at an LIII match. Troy is the RM. It was really hot and humid, and I didn't drink enough water so I was struggling somewhat. Shooter has a squib mid-stage. Takes me about 5 minutes to beat the d*mn bullet out of the barrel, and once I get all that cleaned up I yell 'paste em' :wacko: (which of course the rest of the squad happily did). My two RO's are looking at me a little funny, and then after half the targets were pasted, I realized that I completely blew the call. :( Oh well, just gave a way a free re-shoot.

Later I see RM Troy, and said 'Troy, I gotta talk to you. I completely screwed up, and really blew a call today' and then explained what happened. I figured that since it was a clear screw-up, I would probably never work as an RO again, let again as a CRO.

Troy looked at me and said......

"Anyone lose an eye?"...... No

"Anyone get shot?"....... No

"Anyone get pregnant?"...... No

"Don't worry about it then"...... and he drove off on his quad. I never heard another thing about it, and maybe some of the reason for that is that I think he knew I was beating myself up, and more importantly, I had already learned my lesson and it would never happen again.

Second Story

I've worked as a CRO at several Nationals and Areas now, and usually get one pretty new RO to work with. I always rotate the jobs per squad (RO, ARO, paper), and love it when the Super Squad comes up on the new RO's timer rotation. :rolleyes: In every case, they always are completely intimidated, and say that they can not run the big dawgs, as they don't have enough experience. I then encourage them that they are just another squad, and in fact, they are often an easy squad to run. They still almost always resist, and I still keep forcing the issue (although, I do give them the out that if they really do not want to do, that's okay, but I have confidence that they can do this).

In every case, the rookie RO has finally caved in and run the Super Squad, they might be nervous, but once the squad moves on..... they are usually SO excited that they got to run the likes of Robbie, TJ, etc., etc., and they thank me for encouraging them to do it. I love to see their face beaming with accomplishment that they just did something they did not think they could do, and their overall excitement. That just makes my day..... ;)

Brian: Yes, I do avoid those other anti-gun areas. I do go to Upstate NY a couple times a year but that is only because it is part of my job and I am forced to do it.

True, I have never been to Barry/Quincy and I appreciate that they are an oasis of pro-gun in the desert of anti-gun IL. However, the majority of the taxes collected on the dollars spent in that area all go to the central state government so even though the good folks of Barry/Quincy are pro-gun, money spent there goes to support the anti-gun efforts of the politicians. I don't have any idea what a nationals at Barry means in terms of money spent in the local area but I am sure it is substantial.

I just can't see that USPSA helping to fund the anti-gun efforts of the IL politicians is sending the right message. But that is the subject for another thread and being political in nature probably doesn't even belong on this board.

I can't even describe how bummed I was that I was forced to withdraw my application to work 3-Gun. In fact when the letter came that I had been selected to work I went through the whole exercise trying to figure out how I could possibly fulfill my obligations and still work it. No go. Then I had to call USPSA and remind them that I had withdrawn my application and it was pretty clear that they were tight on staff.

I will anxiously await the announcement of the 2005 Nationals with the hope of working at least one of them. I do hope to shoot and work Area 1. I just need to save up enough $$$ to keep the wife occupied in the casinos while I shoot. ;)

However even in respect of Level III matches, I can't think of a match where the number of RO applicants didn't exceed the number of RO slots available.

The Columbus Cup was a little short on ROs this year.. The ones that did show did an excellent job.