Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Are You Now?

BDH

BDH,

Not that I had any doubt before but, after reading your "second story" above, I'm extremely proud that you're an IROA Brother. Keep up the great work and positive attitude.

I had a similar experience recently with an IROA Stats Brother who wanted to work a stage at a Level III, but only under my wing. As it turned out, he was gently "forced" to work a stage all by himself (with me popping my head around the corner from time to time). He was understandably nervous at the beginning, but he soon got into the groove and did a fantastic job with every squad.

In fact, he missed out on the match "Best RO" award by only one vote - not too shabby for a rookie.

I have been pondering this thread (the sub-thread actually) for a couple hours now and have a suggestion to add to my earlier post.

Should USPSA hold matches in gun unfriendly states?

Yes...provided the match ACTIVELY supports pro-gun issues. Holding a match is really a passive activity. By active I would suggest that they could have a fund raiser side-match with the proceeds going to one or more local/state pro-gun organizations that are working to change the state laws/attitude.

If all they want to do is go hold the match and be all passive about everything then they should not hold matches in gun unfriendly states.

This same thing applies right down to the local club level.

We, as individuals/groups/national organizations MUST take an ACTIVE stance or we are really submitting to the anti-gun forces.

And yes, I do wear my NRA and USPSA apparel when I am in NY. Was my luggage searched extra throughly because I was wearing my NRA polo shirt? Maybe. I sure was asked twice if I had a firearm to declare. :)

Taking an active role, be it as shooters to help shag brass and tape or as ROs going to help work the matches or as citizens helping to fight the infringement of our rights is something we all must do or our sport and our freedoms will be hurt.

I just can't see that USPSA helping to fund the anti-gun efforts of the IL politicians is sending the right message.  But that is the subject for another thread and being political in nature probably doesn't even belong on this board.

kimel, I understand your points and your opinion. I also agree that we shouldn't turn this into a political debate, so I will just play a little bit of devils advocate here, and then drop it......

Another way to look at this might be that USPSA brings in so much money, prestige or whatever to the Quincy area, that when the State Representatives all get together and meet in Springfield (I think) to discuss gun issues, the reps from the Quincy area are at least speaking up for our rights because they don't what to lose our patronage. They speak of how there has never been a serious incident, and just what the economic impact of another gun law would be to the community. It might not make any difference overall, but then again, I would rather have them speaking up for us than being completely dis-interested parties.

My two cents. Sorry for the drift....

Not that I had any doubt before but, after reading your "second story" above, I'm extremely proud that you're an IROA Brother. Keep up the great work and positive attitude.

Thank you Vince. It ain't always easy, but I do try. ;)

In fact, he missed out on the match "Best RO" award by only one vote - not too shabby for a rookie.

Troy/Arnie, why don't we do that here?? Maybe a little friendly competition between the RO's would help things overall at the Nationals. If I remember correctly, they did something like this in Polo at Area 5 the last two years (I think it was the Harold Barrow Award for best RO).... ;)

it's strang to hear that they are short of staff at the 3-gun and the nationals. My

Wife and I have applied to ro/cro at the national for the past three years and have been turned down.

We have worked the nationals from 93 through 2000, but

have been turned down the past three years. Kind-a makes me think that something just may be going on. We do work the Area match and Sectional as well as our local club matches. If there's a ( black list ) about, someone should check into it, as it will give USPSA a bad name.

When someone wants to help the main organiztion out and is turned down

repeatedle, then hears how short of help there were in Oregon as well as at

Quincy, one may just beging to wonder.....

Actually, the Pistol Nationals is not short on staff. While we don't have the luxury of a 2:1 application ratio like Uncle Vinny, :) we did get more applicants than we could use. I can't speak for the 3 Gun with regards to staff.

Troy

Troy/Arnie, why don't we do that here?? Maybe a little friendly competition between the RO's would help things overall at the Nationals. If I remember correctly, they did something like this in Polo at Area 5 the last two years (I think it was the Harold Barrow Award for best RO).... ;)

Brian,

Good idea. Troy, do you think we can talk Ray into it?

Arnie

Good idea.  Troy, do you think we can talk Ray into it?

Arnie, seems like this should be bigger than just one match. Should there be something like this at any Nationals (or Area)?

Vince, how does IROA do this and where does it apply?

Not trying to turn USPSA matches into an 'RO congenialty' contest, but 'might' help out overall, and add some focus on the 'fun' aspect of things.....

Just thinking out loud, and this should probably be a different thread..... ;)

Actually, the Area 4 match did this for years. And, I think I recall something like it at Nationals, but maybe not.

Anyway, I agree--it should be a "system-wide" thing. I think we'll have a variety of evaluation forms at this year's Nationals.

Troy

Kimel,

While I'm pretty sure that your right about shooters supporting state-wide antigun efforts in Illinois through taxes collected, I also think that the shooters support businesses in that area with a whole lot more cash. I don't think that we should abandon folks who are in our camp --- it's much easier to retain them than it is to persuade others that we are right. I can't help but feel that the situation in Illinois could only get worse, if all the shooting organizations pulled their major matches from PASA in search of a gun-fliendlier place....

/political thread drift.

Vince, how does IROA do this and where does it apply?

It's not a feature of IROA - it's just that some Match Directors include voting forms in the competitor's match bundle. Moreover, like the vast majority of IPSC matches, it's generally just a matter of bragging rights and kudos for the winner - rarely is a trinket actually awarded.

In the UK we sometimes award a small plaque or maybe a certificate for Best RO which is always received with pride. The voting is conducted fairly informally.

We had a very well respected RM in the UK, Barry Cousins, who we sadly lost to the big C and a perpetral trophy, the Barry Cousins Memorial Trophy, was established in his honour which was awarded annually at the British Open (handgun) for the best RO. Bearing in mind the origins of the trophy and the man that inspired it, it was always a special moment at the prize giving and very popular with the crew and competitors alike. They understood the meaning behind it.

As an aside, Barry's wife insisted on hosting our NROI Exec committee meetings at her home for several years after we lost him because she knew that's what he would have wanted. She always cooked a fantastic lunch of almost unbelievable proportions which certainly slowed down the business in the afternoons.

Barry Cousins, RIP.

Thanks Troy.

After re-reading that thread on staff, I found that BHD was talking

about the 3-gun, and not the hand gun nationals.

On the RO match, it use to be that the RO shot the match

before everyone else to check out stages (de-bug) them. Then

they were scored and sent out to all of the RO's for bragging

rights. Not all of the RO's shoot the match, eather, just work it.

Gene