Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 and crushed primers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://imgur.com/r/funny/WEl1x

Remember for those reading this after the fact... I *never* had a pickup problem, I've only had a crushed at seating problem.... the pickup problem can be solved with Brian's procedure...

Is there a thread with more info on this?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=775&view=findpost&p=47424

• 3 months later...

Alan-

Thank you 10x10 to the tenth power!!

I am ordering the new primer bar tonight...

Tillman

Please post your results when they are available. With the cost of this primer bar I have stopped short of buying one but have considered it several times.

Thanks

I picked one up from Dillon a few weeks ago. It didn't look any different than the one I took out, so I didn't install it. Then again I don't have any priming issues either. My 1050 is at least 4 years old but maybe "new" is relative.

I found that two things helped my 5/100 crushed primer problem, the first was adding a PW autodrive (I think is was the sturdy mounting plate for the PW that helped, and not the drive itself) and the second was increasing the amount of swage. Now I see 1/1000 and these are mostly brass with slightly off center primer pockets.

Edited by SevoTT

• 6 months later...

Got the new part today, there is a pretty significant difference in the amount of taper between the flat level of the primer slider and hole... Going to put the new part in tomorrow and crank out a few rounds... I've got my test case all ready... WIN brass, all hand sorted and CCI primers.... That, at one time, I would crush 1 out of 10 on before Gary helped me with the primer punch swap, since then I've been doing hand sorted Mixed (minus S&B and some other oddities) and it's been running at about 300-500 before I crush one, I'm hoping this puts me over the top with some margin, if that's possible... if not, I know exactly what I'm going to do to fix it (and yes, it still means I'll keep it :)... ).

Alan

Alan,

I appreciate your detailed documentation of this problem. I also like that you approach this issue very professionally and with the goal of solving the problem not only for yourself, but for all 1050 users.

I was worried about this when I purchased a 1050 and loaded well over 15k rounds of 38Super without a single missed or crushed primer.

However, I recently changed my press over to 9 major and within 1,000 rounds I have had 4 primers crushed as you describe. 2 of them detonated, but it thought that was due to incorrect shellplate tightness. After revisiting this thread I am convinced that I am seeing the exact same problem now...

I am very paranoid about this right now and it is slowing my reloading to a crawl as I am inspecting a half dozen rounds per hundred in case a primer is crushed/smeared.

Any suggestions as to the steps I should take to accurately identify my particular problem?

Thanks,

Allen

Didn't see anywhere but do you have the right bushing in the press for the small or large primers.

D

I assume it is correct. I have loaded over 15K 38Super rounds without a problem. Seems like I should have had a problem at some point with those rounds if an incorrect part was installed. Thanks, Allen

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I setup a second toolhead for .40 and loaded 2k rounds. Had one crushed primer, but I think that was due to another problem that happens every so often - a case misfeeds onto the shell plate and hangs everything up for a split second before snapping forward.

Will be setting up for .223 next. I am not sure if that will make a difference either. Just trying to lay out data points...

I've read this thread from the very being because I hoped to someday purchase a 1050. I delayed the purchase hoping that Dillon personal was reading this thread and possibly make modifications to the 1050 priming system. Well I pulled the VISA out and purchased my 1050 in December 2012 set up for 9mm from Brian. Brain's service was outstanding and so far with 3000 9mm loaded no crushed primers.

I am having a problem with depriming. Some primers do not punch out or are being retracted back into the brass by the decapping pin? A few cases made all the way to the primer station and that really balled up the works when a new primer attempted to be inserted. I now have a better feel or sense when pulling the handle and can tell when a primer didn't come out due to the swage station is not having an empty primer pocket to swage. This is all Winchester brass with no crimp. What do you recommend to solve this depriming problem?

I've read this thread from the very being because I hoped to someday purchase a 1050. I delayed the purchase hoping that Dillon personal was reading this thread and possibly make modifications to the 1050 priming system. Well I pulled the VISA out and purchased my 1050 in December 2012 set up for 9mm from Brian. Brain's service was outstanding and so far with 3000 9mm loaded no crushed primers.

I am having a problem with depriming. Some primers do not punch out or are being retracted back into the brass by the decapping pin? A few cases made all the way to the primer station and that really balled up the works when a new primer attempted to be inserted. I now have a better feel or sense when pulling the handle and can tell when a primer didn't come out due to the swage station is not having an empty primer pocket to swage. This is all Winchester brass with no crimp. What do you recommend to solve this depriming problem?

Eat some veggies.

Here is just one of very many threads on this problem.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99857

One thing to remember with 9mm is that the cases are all different. If you are using same headstamp you should be ok. I have found that on 9mm mixed brass you need to have the tension tab on the priming station a little loose, versus snug. This allows the case to center itself when the primer is being pushed up into the case. You really need to have the swaging rod in use, and swaging the primer pockets. This will help with mixed brass and minimize the mangled primers. I also have all my 9mm brass processed, getting the primer pockets reamed for best results, and still use the swager.

For 9mm and other cartridges if you keep the tension tab just a little looser than sucked up tight it helps. I set up the tab with some tension and rotate a case into the station and let it push the tab out to where it needs to be. I then wiggle the case a smidge and then hold the tab when I tighten it up.

Something to try if you are having problems and haven't tried it yet...

Good luck,

DougC

ordered 1050 for my initial 8,000 rnds of .223 that i don't like to swage manually anymore. Hopefuly these issues are resolved now so that i could also use it for 9mm. I'll keep my reliable 650 for a while until I get confidence on this Dillon 1050.

I have over 250k rounds of 38 on one 1050 with zero priming issues. Just set up a 1050 for my Brother in 45acp with not issues yet. My 9mm 1050 machine has not been put into service yet. Now I am worried!