Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules and Scoring for 3 Gun

I'm with Trapper. I am so busy ROing at matches, and working so hard that I have no time to pick-up on ways to improve my game. I am dedicated to making the match all that it can be....unless I see a field full of donkeys...then I have to take a break and get some action-photos. Interesting barnyard animals always take precidence over my duties as an RO. What can I say donkeys are just cool.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is being a better shooter all about what happens after the buzzer and before the "if clear" command?

I have gained knowledge of how matches are organized, set up, administrated, scored, changes that need to be made to make stages run more efficiently, dealing fairly and equally w/ all competitors, interacting w/ difficult ROs, utilizing 4H volunteers (who typically work their asses off), good/bad prop and target construction, range repair w/ duct tape and bailing wire, etc.

Yes, I would say RO'ing has made me a better shooter.

Is being a better shooter all about what happens after the buzzer and before the "if clear" command?

I have gained knowledge of how matches are organized, set up, administrated, scored, changes that need to be made to make stages run more efficiently, dealing fairly and equally w/ all competitors, interacting w/ difficult Ros, utilizing 4H volunteers (who typically work their asses off), good/bad prop and target construction, range repair w/ duct tape and bailing wire, etc.

Yes, I would say RO'ing has made me a better shooter.

Trapr has a way with words some times. Just because "Some-ones Cup is too full to learn" does not mean that another can not learn while they RO.

I would could be wrong...'im not' But I would venture to say that the RO that does not apply them selfs fully to the shooter and the stage. And does -Not- learn something to make them a better shooter at the end of the day, is the Lazy RO.

I think the a wise person said that by giving of your self fully do you become full.

The better you pay attention and observe the more you learn. Just don't forget to empty the cup so you can fill it again.

All that said during the Laure event I don't think I learned any thing to help my shooting, but I did learn and it did make me Better

So lets start a :P protest until Trapr stops poking the Lazy Hornets nest :P

B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

Jamie, I certainly wouldn't say Trapr's cup is too full to learn, but mine is definately "less full" than his. He has certainly seen, learned, and taught much more than I have yet experienced in 3 gun.

And for that, I thank him! :)

Andy Horner being spocered by Gillete,

This is supposed to be a serious discussion. Not complete fantasy. Gillette makes good razors but how about a little reality check here. Maybe Stihl....

;-)

I'm for one set of rules for all multi - 3 gun.

That really shouldn't be that difficult and I don't see the correlation to only one way to have sex.

There aren't any rules at all for sex..... at least not at my house.... :cheers:

I'm for one set of rules for all multi - 3 gun.

That really shouldn't be that difficult and I don't see the correlation to only one way to have sex.

There aren't any rules at all for sex..... at least not at my house.... :cheers:

One thing comes to mind

I learn stuff all the time, Jamie!!! like when to not talk about the guy that has your SG :devil:

I learn all the time, a lot of it is stuff I've forgotten. :roflol:

Now about the rules!!!It seems to me that reading is something that should be practiced just as diligently as shooting, so maybe if we practice that just before a match then we don't NEED to have a single ruleset, we just read the rules for our next match.

remember: reading is fundamental, just like shooting iron sights :sight:

Trapr

Is that what we want? That any MD can come up with a unique set of rules and apply them to his match? Continuity seems lacking.

In a word- YES. If the MD comes up w/ a bad enough rule set, we vote w/ our feet and don't shoot the match. I'd rather have this situation than stuck w/ a bad set of rules for all matches. (Imagine if IDPA had 3 gun...)

IMGA seems to be the clear favorite. I have never, and wouldn't shoot an IDPA version. USPSA is a good ruleset for pistol but a week sister for 3 gun. I will shoot it but I don't like the USPSA rules and wouldn't travel for a big match if they ran that ruleset.

If I went to a local match and they ran some other funky ruleset I'd probably shoot it if I was there but reserve the right to not return if I don't like them.

I'm curious exactly how much different you could realistically make a set of rules from the two predominant set we have.

Bryan.45 wrote:

....(Imagine if IDPA had 3 gun...)

I am thinking that was meant to be a joke or a sarcastic remark, but just in case you didn't know already:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137115

IDPA and 3 gun isn't something ment to be. IDPA is great for those who like it but it just doesn't work for 3 gun IMO. It's like walking into a burger joint and ordering sushi.

why the big rush to fix a set of rules? Let's let this play out. Let people experiment and tweak things for a while. No one should be so set in his ways - as far as 3 gun goes - that he can't read/listen to the rules at each match and adapt. Maybe we will end up with 2 sets, one for speed and another for accuracy. some matches may go one way and others another. choices.

why the big rush to fix a set of rules? Let's let this play out. Let people experiment and tweak things for a while. No one should be so set in his ways - as far as 3 gun goes - that he can't read/listen to the rules at each match and adapt. Maybe we will end up with 2 sets, one for speed and another for accuracy. some matches may go one way and others another. choices.

Its not really a big rush. But how long do you prepose to wait it out? I have been playing this game going on 10 yrs now, with this same discusion going on the whole time. Seems many that are relunctant to unify rules/scoring may be those who run matches and want it their way. If the pole is any real indicator though the majority by a 2-1 margine are in favor of unified rules and IMGA scoring. The only way this will ever happen though is for those individuals who put on all the big matches hold their version of the "Colombia Conferance" to all agree on such, vote on it with an agreement to unify by the vote. And Do it. Anything else is just hot air.

I am against having one set of unified rules just for the simple fact that I think the terrain where some of these matches are held at lend themselves to totally different stage designs. Consequently that'll influence whatever strategies shooters devise to navigate the COF.

want to see just how screwed up a single set of rules can get, go look a the "new" rules IPSC just voted on for SG and Rifle. After you read them then come back and complain about a single governing body, and ruleset.

no more loading your SG from a vest, no 3x3 or 4x4 SG loaders, no more unlimited open SG capacity, it is things like these that caused the individual MD's to make their own rules.

Trapr

want to see just how screwed up a single set of rules can get, go look a the "new" rules IPSC just voted on for SG and Rifle. After you read them then come back and complain about a single governing body, and ruleset.

no more loading your SG from a vest, no 3x3 or 4x4 SG loaders, no more unlimited open SG capacity, it is things like these that caused the individual MD's to make their own rules.

Trapr

If you were directing your post my way Trapr, let me clarify I was merely stating as a response to waiting it out. I have had no issues with the different rule sets. I find most of them( except USPSA) to my liking. After this many years it does not seem likely that a conferance will take place to unify. But it always seems to come up that there are many that would like to see it happen.

Trapr

That rule set is always gonna be screwed up because it crosses borders and laws. We would not have that kind of ridiculousness here or it would get overthrown. Kinda like USPSA multi gun has.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Trapr

That's certainly true. IPSC shows the true dangers of one overarching body. What a mess. That being said, I still favor some sort of consistency, especially with equipment rules (as opposed to scoring) in the 3 gun world.

Trapr

That's certainly true. IPSC shows the true dangers of one overarching body. What a mess. That being said, I still favor some sort of consistency, especially with equipment rules (as opposed to scoring) in the 3 gun world.

It's not the overarching body that's the problem, its a system where regions and people that dont really have an interest, or partake, in a particular item/event still get to decide the rules and future for those that are involved and have an interest.

As long as the overarching body consists of 3-gunners that do 3-gunning, I'm not too worried.

Edited by gose

I suggest that whoever goes though all the crap it takes to put on a match, gets to decide to use whatever rules they want. They can make them up from scratch if they want. But they should post the rules before they start to take applications, and stick with them.

Screw all those organizations that make up rules for shooting. Putting 3 gun in a box is a bad idea. Regulate it too much and one day you'll find someone saying "You can't shoot hanging from a zipline according to rule 002.36-a/41BS-Bs-BS".

I like a little variety from match to match. The metal exercise fights off early alzhiemers.

Edited by Lead-Head

Lead-Head wrote:

I suggest that whoever goes though all the crap it takes to put on a match, gets to decide to use whatever rules they want. They can make them up from scratch if they want. But they should post the rules before they start to take applications, and stick with them.

Amen! Preach on Brother Lead-Head!

I would also suggest having the prize table or raffle table distribution modus operandi written on the match entry form.