Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BLADE TECH DOH HOLSTER

SAMMY63

Why not? As far as I know it certainly is legal for Production. In the earlier production batch, the ejection port cut-out was filed to low, which made it illegal in Production; however, that has since been rectified. There are a couple of threads in this forum regarding that topic.

Just make sure you don't buy the Black Ice version. It is not legal for use in Production.

Why not? As far as I know it certainly is legal for Production. In the earlier production batch, the ejection port cut-out was filed to low, which made it illegal in Production; however, that has since been rectified. There are a couple of threads in this forum regarding that topic.

Just make sure you don't buy the Black Ice version. It is not legal for use in Production.

+1

Got my replacement free of charge. And passes with no problem

I was reading one of the issues of Front Sight magazine, and they said that it is not legal for Production Division. Not sure what month the article is in, if I find it, I'll post it.

I remember that article/response. The issue was the low ejection port cut-out, which Blade Tech has fixed.

I was reading one of the issues of Front Sight magazine, and they said that it is not legal for Production Division. Not sure what month the article is in, if I find it, I'll post it.

Hi Guys. You are correct, we did post some info on how to make sure your Black Ice is legal.

The Black Ice holster is designed and manufactured to cover no less than ½” below the ejection port. When the holster comes off the mold, the cutout port/sight channel area is straight. The craftsmen buff and round down the sight channel to bring a sense of symmetry and aesthetic appeal, which on some holsters, was causing them to be out of USPSA specification. The molds have been adjusted by 1/8” to compensate for material being removed from the final buffering process. Furthermore, our craftsmen are now aware and are more cognizant of the material being removed from the final buffering process.

If your holster falls under being out of specifications, please contact customer service and we'll get it fixed right away!

returns at blade-tech dot com toll free: (877)331-5793.

Thanks!!

Tessa

getsocial at blade-tech dot com

Hi Guys. You are correct, we did post some info on how to make sure your Black Ice is legal.

The Black Ice holster is designed and manufactured to cover no less than ½" below the ejection port. When the holster comes off the mold, the cutout port/sight channel area is straight. The craftsmen buff and round down the sight channel to bring a sense of symmetry and aesthetic appeal, which on some holsters, was causing them to be out of USPSA specification. The molds have been adjusted by 1/8" to compensate for material being removed from the final buffering process. Furthermore, our craftsmen are now aware and are more cognizant of the material being removed from the final buffering process.

If your holster falls under being out of specifications, please contact customer service and we'll get it fixed right away!

Thanks!!

Tessa

Now that's great customer service!cheers.gif

Tessa.

FYI...there is one other issue with the Black Ice DOH. The issue is with the Drop-offset paddle ("DOP"), not with the holster. In summary, with regard to USPSA, when the pistol is holstered, the maximum distance measured from the inner edge of the belt to the inside edge of the pistol is 2.0". Many people have reported a measured distance of up to 2.25" when using the DOP.

The commonly used remedy is to shim the lower part of the DOP with a thick washer(s), which alters the vertical angle of the holster (inward at the top). I personally have shimmed the holster screw at the bottom of DOP and enlarged the three drilled-holes at the top of DOP, to which the holster is fastened. The enlargement in effect reduces the gap between the holster and the DOP toward the top. My measurement is now 1.9".

FWIW... my pistol is CZ SP-01 Shadow. I do know Glock shooters who have had similar experiences.

USPSA rule: See Appendix E2 on page 86 (http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf)

The Black Ice holster is designed and manufactured to cover no less than ½” below the ejection port. When the holster comes off the mold, the cutout port/sight channel area is straight. The craftsmen buff and round down the sight channel to bring a sense of symmetry and aesthetic appeal, which on some holsters, was causing them to be out of USPSA specification. The molds have been adjusted by 1/8” to compensate for material being removed from the final buffering process. Furthermore, our craftsmen are now aware and are more cognizant of the material being removed from the final buffering process.

Thanks!!

Tessa

Edited by justaute

Thanks for the info!

We did some checking and for the ones that were randomly chosen here at the factory, they are within guidelines or very close, it depends on belt thickness. As we are now aware of this possibility we will pay closer attention, and do what it takes to make it legal across the line.

If you need help with your gear to be sure it is within regulations or with anything else, please contact us so we can assist you:

Thanks again for your input. It is very much appreciated :)

Tessa

Tessa.

FYI...there is one other issue with the Black Ice DOH. The issue is with the Drop-offset paddle ("DOP"), not with the holster. In summary, with regard to USPSA, when the pistol is holstered, the maximum distance measured from the inner edge of the belt to the inside edge of the pistol is 2.0". Many people have reported a measured distance of up to 2.25" when using the DOP.

The commonly used remedy is to shim the lower part of the DOP with a thick washer(s), which alters the vertical angle of the holster (inward at the top). I personally have shimmed the holster screw at the bottom of DOP and enlarged the three drilled-holes at the top of DOP, to which the holster is fastened. The enlargement in effect reduces the gap between the holster and the DOP toward the top. My measurement is now 1.9".

FWIW... my pistol is CZ SP-01 Shadow. I do know Glock shooters who have had similar experiences.

USPSA rule: See Appendix E2 on page 86 (http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf)

Thanks!!

Tessa

• 3 months later...

We did some checking and for the ones that were randomly chosen here at the factory, they are within guidelines or very close, it depends on belt thickness.

Hello Tessa,

I happened to check my new DOH (Christmas present) tonight after noticing it seemed like a long 2". It measured about 2-5/16". But that's with a double belt, which is common I these games. The outside belt was right at 2". I wonder if the double belts, e.g. CR Speed, are something you are taking into account?

I found this thread because I was figuring i would have to heat/bend the offset piece, but thought I'd see if it was a common problem or if better solutions had been found.

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks,

-rvb

• 4 months later...

I just figured out that my Blade Techs (more than one) aren't in accordance with the USPSA rules. When I called to ask about it I was told that I could buy a replacement Dropped and Offset part that would make the holster legal.

I purchased replacement parts and still like Blade-Tech's stuff... but, it frustrates me a bit that I would have to purchase a part that was manufacuted incorrectly.

• 1 month later...

We did some checking and for the ones that were randomly chosen here at the factory, they are within guidelines or very close, it depends on belt thickness.

Hello Tessa,

I happened to check my new DOH (Christmas present) tonight after noticing it seemed like a long 2". It measured about 2-5/16". But that's with a double belt, which is common I these games. The outside belt was right at 2". I wonder if the double belts, e.g. CR Speed, are something you are taking into account?

I found this thread because I was figuring i would have to heat/bend the offset piece, but thought I'd see if it was a common problem or if better solutions had been found.

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks,

-rvb

Same issue with mine, when measured the distance is within 2 inches to the inside of the outside belt but if measured to the inside of the inner belt of a CR Speed belt rig the measurement is greater than 2 inches.

And that part of the issue has been beat to death here - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92558&st=25&p=1063390&hl=doh&fromsearch=1entry1063390

Edited by retarmyaviator