Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a move from G17 to G35 necessary?

kcult

This is quite possibly the wrong section for this, but it also doesn't necessarily focus on Glocks, either. It could apply to any brand.

I began shooting matches in April of last year. I got a couple of friends hooked and it's been a blast competing with these guys.

I started out with a very old Browning Hi Power. It is more of an heirloom and I decided I didn't want to beat it up, so I went shopping. I ended up with a Gen4 G17. My buddies were still shooting CZ 75s and Berettas. I was beating them every time. I didn't chalk it up to the gun, but to my "skills".

Well, each one of them bought G35s. They both beat me at the last match!!!! I need a G35!!!

In all seriousness though, did simply going from a CZ 75 and 92F to a G35 do the trick for them? I know my game is off a bit. I've had more mikes in the last two months than I've had in a year, but this seems off.

Here's the question I'm trying to get to; With similar skills (and none of us are A or B shooters), is there any reason I couldn't be competitive with a G17 vs. their G35s? I'm really only concerned with being competitive at our local matches which are scored as raw time plus penalties straight up.

One of our local Production GM's has switched over to shooting Limited Minor with his production gun, but mags loaded to full capacity. He's still beating the guys shooting Limited Major with the magwells, slide lightening, 20 round mags, etc. by quite a margin.

One of our local Production GM's has switched over to shooting Limited Minor with his production gun, but mags loaded to full capacity. He's still beating the guys shooting Limited Major with the magwells, slide lightening, 20 round mags, etc. by quite a margin.

He does use a magwell and extensions. So really he's just beating people shooting Major and with slide lightening.

He does use a magwell and extensions. So really he's just beating people shooting Major and with slide lightening.

I stand corrected. Serves me right for just listening to conversations instead of actually seeing for myself.

But he's still kicking ass even being scored minor! Way to go!

This is why I need to stay away from forums when I'm drinking.

I already know the answer and it is practice.

I CC the G17 and that's why I shoot it in matches, for the practice. But, if I want to get better in the matches, I need to spend more time shooting between matches.

I stand corrected. Serves me right for just listening to conversations instead of actually seeing for myself.

But he's still kicking ass even being scored minor! Way to go!

Absolutely... I hope my shooting looks as casual/natural one day. LOL

The fastest Glock-shooting GM I know, runs a 17 in Production. Not a 34.

If anything, your 17 has an advantage over the 35 due to the reduction in recoil. The slide is roughly 1/2" shorter. Negligible. But since you are all new to the sport and buying your pistols of choice, I presume you're all still shooting factory ammo.

Question:

You're shooting a bastard match with messed up rules. Do they still score you Major and Minor? If so, you have to shoot more accurately than your friends do in order to win. A .40 gets more credit for a hit in the C zone than a 9mm shooter.

If they're even using those rules.

Are you talking about the Black Creek match? If so they don't score major or minor, it's a very small match using a simplified scoring system similar to many 3 gun matches. It's not billed as USPSA or IDPA, it's a group of friends who put on a monthly fun match for their own practice and to bring others into competitive shooting. Its great fun, I shoot it whenever I can. They divide the divisions into revolver, single stack, and limited, and last month we had our first open shooter. The scoring method emphasizes accuracy, and a couple of misses could very well drop you behind.

ETA: Shoot the G17, it will work just fine.

Edited by Red_SC

I dont know about the G35 but I tried to replace my G17 with a G34, I no longer have the G34 and still have my G17. The G17 just feels better all the way around to me. I have friends that shoot the G17 in Limited minor and do very well with it.

This is why I need to stay away from forums when I'm drinking.

I already know the answer and it is practice.

I CC the G17 and that's why I shoot it in matches, for the practice. But, if I want to get better in the matches, I need to spend more time shooting between matches.

This

I have a 35 and Flex has smoked me using a 26 in a carry rig. Wasn't even close.

Are you talking about the Black Creek match? If so they don't score major or minor, it's a very small match using a simplified scoring system similar to many 3 gun matches. It's not billed as USPSA or IDPA, it's a group of friends who put on a monthly fun match for their own practice and to bring others into competitive shooting. Its great fun, I shoot it whenever I can. They divide the divisions into revolver, single stack, and limited, and last month we had our first open shooter. The scoring method emphasizes accuracy, and a couple of misses could very well drop you behind.

ETA: Shoot the G17, it will work just fine.

Yeah, I'm talking about Black Creek.

I've fallen from Grace and I'm trying to blame everything except my lack of trigger time. I mean, my buddy is beating me with his Sigma. I can barely show my face at work! :roflol:

I'll keep shooting the 17 because I carry it. If I don't get any better (or keep getting worse), I'll start carrying a SBS. Ha!

By the way, did you know about the classifier in NC this past weekend? I shot in it with Griff and Bobby. I thought I would have seen more of you guys there.

...did ...do the trick for them?

I know my game is off a bit. I've had more mikes in the last two months than I've had in a year...

These questions often answer themselves if you step back and take a look. (and reading through the thread again...you seem to know that)

Grab one and shoot it.

Sounds to me more of a case of "thinking" and "caring". You probably was surprised when you came out on top of your buddies shooting. Then, it happened often and became the NORM for your psyche. Well, you can bet it wasn't the norm for them. Under no pressure to WIN (beat you), they took their little gains in skill and caught you.

Just do it back to them. Practice the fundamentals and quit coasting. Ain't this sport fun!!

Of course, if they are shooting major, it behooves you to also shoot major.

If anything, your 17 has an advantage over the 35 due to the reduction in recoil. The slide is roughly 1/2" shorter. Negligible. But since you are all new to the sport and buying your pistols of choice, I presume you're all still shooting factory ammo.

Question:

You're shooting a bastard match with messed up rules. Do they still score you Major and Minor? If so, you have to shoot more accurately than your friends do in order to win. A .40 gets more credit for a hit in the C zone than a 9mm shooter.

Yep! I shoot an "Outlaw" match here near Chicago and that is exactly what happens. My last shoot was a top 6 out of 36 finish with myself and 3 others shooting minor. I not only have to shoot better but faster.

Edited by bigphiltheshootist

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

Ehh. I believe the preferred nomenclature is Outlaw match. :)

Take this with a grain of salt... I started shooting with an M&P9 and after a few matches I found my accuracy was suffering on anything past 15 yards. I decided to try out a G34 if anything for the sight radius. I can honestly say that it's much easier to hit farther targets with the 34 than it is with the M&P, and I prefer the trigger on the M&P.