Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commander Length 1911's

Iggy42

So I am in the market for a Commander length 1911 for daily carry (concealed), but sadly my budget is in the 700 to 800 range. Far from ideal since most seem to be 1k+, but anyone have any ideas for a good quality not going to let me down 4" barreled 1911?

The Para LTC has been around for awhile. Frankly I wasn't that impressed with the one they sent me for test and eval. The fit was kind of sloppy, and it loosened up even more during my testing.

I don't have a problem with a gun that has a cast frame - as long as it's a well-executed casting. Having the frame and slide be castings, OTOH....not so much. :(

I have shot a few Kimbers and that is what I wanted (until I hit the lotto and can afford a Nighthawk T3 Comp) but my local guy wanted 950 (minus 625 for my SA Loaded Government). Kimber MSRPs this particular model for 888 so I think come Monday I am going to make a few phone calls and see what I can do. My dream would be to trade my Government for a Commander length + 100 to 150 bucks. The less cash I have to spend the better since I was given a rough estimate of 825 for my 5.25 XDM bi-tone in .40 when SA releases them (soon I hope, 3 free mags would be a huge help)

Also been looking at (just online sadly, no one has them in stock locally) a scandium framed Smith and Wesson e-series 1911 with a 4" barrel. I like the idea of a bob, but I wish I could get one in my hands first to see how it feels. Course I am pretty sure they are out of my budget unless I find a FFL that is really generous on the trade in.

Edited by Iggy42

I've been exactly where you are before. My daily carry is a 4" 1911. I was in your price range, and ended up deciding to stretch a bit more for a Kimber Pro CDP II, which has been a fantastic pistol.

A couple things to keep in mind - there are two "standards" in pistols this size. A true Commander will be 4.25". Kimber, Springfield, and others (Wilson I know for sure) use a barrel length of 4". This doesn't really matter in how the gun shoots or carries, but it does matter for holsters. For example, a Milt Sparks holster for a 4" gun won't fit a 4 1/2" gun.

Also, some of the guns you'll look at are aluminum frames (some Kimbers and Smith & Wessons) and some will be steel. The aluminum framed guns will be lighter, which will help with carry, but they're also a little bit more of a handful to shoot. I carry a +P load in my aluminum Kimber, and while it's fun to run a magazine of it now and again, it's not particularly enjoyable. It's worth it to me for carry comfort, however.

So the ones I would look at are:

Colt Commander - true Commander length - the 1991 model is certainly in your price range, and you might be able to find the XSE in your range as well. It may not come with all of the bells and whistles, but a Colt will be a solid, dependable gun. It also has the benefit of having any gunsmith willing to work on it (which may not be said for some of the other brands)

Springfield Champion - 4" length - Comes in a basic GI model as well as their Loaded models, and available with both steel frames as well as lightweight aluminum. These are solid, dependable firearms, and you should be able to find a new or gently used one within your price range.

Kimber Pro Carry II - 4" length - the basic models of the Pro Carry II use aluminum frames, but steel are available in the HD models. The basic models start (for the blued one) right in your price range, and go up to their custom shop prices depending on options. A lot of people despise Kimber and accuse them of all sorts of crimes against humanity, but both of my Kimbers have been very good pistols. The Pro Carry II in particular has not jammed on me once in several thousand rounds.

Smith and Wesson - Commander length - Good, solid 1911 pistols. I really like the Gunsite model for carry. New, these might be slightly out of your price range, but used you could probably find one that fits. The only knock I have against the S&W's is that they use an external extractor. All reports are that they function well, but it is a non-standard 1911 modification that I'm not fond of.

Sig - Commander length - reports on these have run hot and cold. Some love them, some have had issues. The Sigs also use an external extractor, like the S&W. Some of these will be within your price range, depending on what you find. The only thing to be aware of with the Sigs is that they decided to use a nonstandard slide cut to make them look more like a "traditional" Sig - and most good leather holsters won't fit. If you get one, you need to tell your holster maker that you have a Sig and see if they can accomodate.

STI Guardian - 4" length - STI builds good guns. You may be able to find one of these in your price range - they pop up on Gunbroker occasionally for $850 or so.

Two more things - holsters and magazines. Especially if you get an aluminum frame, magazine choice is important. Magazines with steel followers run the risk of gouging your feed ramps in an aluminum frame. It's worth it to find a quality magazine with a polymer follower if you have an aluminum frame. I've been using Wilson Combat 47-series magazines for both competition and carry and have had good luck with them.

On holsters, the right one will make carrying this beast more manageable. Lots of different companies make great holsters. Some companies make not-so-great ones. I've been very happy with my Milt Sparks VM-II for carrying a 4" 1911. I've let a couple of friends try it out, and they've bought them as well. It's a long wait, but IMHO it's worth it.

Hope some of this rambling helps.

The Para LTC has been around for awhile. Frankly I wasn't that impressed with the one they sent me for test and eval. The fit was kind of sloppy, and it loosened up even more during my testing.

I don't have a problem with a gun that has a cast frame - as long as it's a well-executed casting. Having the frame and slide be castings, OTOH....not so much. :(

I have the alloy framed Para LTC that is my carry gun. I have no complaints at all, Has been flawless with ball, hollowpoints and RN cast reloads. I shot a couple IDPA matches with it, and run a mag through it every once in awhile, I havent had any accuracy problems and the para extractor works with .45. Maybe the fit will loosen up a few thousand rounds from now, but I dont see it getting thousands of rounds in it ever, I have steel framed guns for that.

post-6917-0-95537100-1315740868_thumb.jp

I've had a S&W Gunsite. It's a nice firearm & you should be able to get one used in your price range. They also make other commander sized models which may be priced lower. Recently bought an E-series after waiting to see one in the used market. Shoots well & looks to be even better for carry given it's bobtail. New that's outside your specified range though...

I have a S&W Gunsite that I bought used...actually it was a range gun at Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington. The gun has been 100% reliable with all factory and my handloads. I have just over 1200 rounds through it. I paid $450

I carry it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II

My point I feel you are better served by purchasing a used firearm than a new one. More bang for the buck :)

Gunsite19113002.jpg

SSII001.jpg

Edited by RussB

I have a S&W Gunsite that I bought used...actually it was a range gun at Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington. The gun has been 100% reliable with all factory and my handloads. I have just over 1200 rounds through it. I paid $450

I carry it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II

My point I feel you are better served by purchasing a used firearm than a new one. More bang for the buck :)

Gunsite19113002.jpg

SSII001.jpg

Wow! Nice gun... Super nice price!!!

What can happen is that sharp-mouthed hollowpoints can, over time, dig into and deform an aluminum feed ramp. This is why a large and growing number of aluminum framed 1911s go for a fully supported chamber with integral feed ramp, i.e. they replace the separate two-piece ramp and throat (aluminum/steel) with one piece of steel.

My carry gun is a Commander-sized Scandium-framed S&W 1911PD. I've had it since...2007, I think. I have at least 3000 rounds through it (and LOTS of dry-fire), and overall I've been pretty happy. It is very reliable, except that it's broken 2 mag catch locks and the plunger tube fell off once. Oh, and it had a case of "hammer follow", for which it went back to S&W. S&W has been great with service on it. I like its light weight, and don't find it punishing at all. I shot it quite a bit in USPSA until I got my SA Trophy Match, and I even killed a small black bear with it.

If the bob-tail was available then, I'd have bought it instead.

It is very reliable, except that it's broken 2 mag catch locks and the plunger tube fell off once. Oh, and it had a case of "hammer follow", for which it went back to S&W.

Parts break, parts fall off, and the hammer starts following? That's not what I'd call "very reliable." :(

I am defiantly interested in a S&W 1911SC E-series (the Commander length with a bobtail/round butt) but they are looking to be out of my price range. I would happily sell/trade my Government SA for it, in fact will have to to get a commander size 1911. Sadly can't find a local dealer that has one in stock so I can see if I like the way a bobtail feels in hand.

Edited by Duane Thomas

It is very reliable, except that it's broken 2 mag catch locks and the plunger tube fell off once. Oh, and it had a case of "hammer follow", for which it went back to S&W.

Parts break, parts fall off, and the hammer starts following? That's not what I'd call "very reliable." :(

all that in 3000 rounds isnt what I would call reliable either.