Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't Sevigny and Vogel use a Magwell for Limited?

beltjones

Most of the gear we use is personal preference. They apparently don't like magwells.

My question is, WHY don't they like magwells on their Limited / L10 guns?

"Personal preferrence" isn't really an answer. Why is that their personal preference?

Gonna have to ask them why they don't like them. Anybody here is just guessing.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a G22 that I never shoot. It cuts my hand when the slide cycles. I am normally a Beretta and 1911 guy. But when I pick up the G22 I can hit reloads in the dark with my eyes closed. The beretta and 1911 on the other hand ... Fumble central.

Why not ask them?

Here...

http://www.watchtv.net/~vogelshootist/ <<<<<<< here contact info is on the left side of the screen.

http://sevignyperformance.com/ <<<<<<< contact info is about half way down the page.

let us know what they say,

They are both on this forum. You could just send them a PM. I made an inquiry once via PM to Dave, and he responded right away. Bob is also very approachable.

I always figured some use the magwell on the Glocks for weight. I am putting together a 35 for Limited and the used gun I picked up had a heavyweight Dawson magwell on it. I have shot it a good deal lately in some shoot on the move training and for the first time in a match at the 3 gun ProAm. Have to day I like shooting it, but way heavier on the belt! With a long tungsten guide rod and the heavy weight magwell it really does add weight and is noticeable when shooting. Also, with my large hands the magwell forces me to get a higher grip on the draw. High enough that I am going to have a Southpaw do a beavertail along with the other grip work. Also, it really is easier to insert the mag.

Consistency between divisions probably says it best for me. When you put a magwell on a Glock it makes it tough to load/seat stock mags at speed, you really need some sort of mag extension. If I ONLY ever shot USPSA Limited/L10 I would probably consider using one. However since I HAVE to use stock mags in IDPA and USPSA and IPSC Production I prefer to keep it the same. I am so used to grabbing that stock mag and feeling my left index finger come up into that small "cut out" portion in the front of the Glock mag opening that anything else feels weird. (Oh yeah and the newer Glocks are flat in front and don't have that "cut out" which I don't care for). In the beginning I too thought I needed one on a Limited gun but after shooting nothing but production for several years I realized that it just wasn't so.

I asked Dave on his facebook face and his answer was

So no magwell and no extended mags to shoot limited. I cant imagine shooting LTD with 15 shot mags.

Consistency between divisions probably says it best for me. When you put a magwell on a Glock it makes it tough to load/seat stock mags at speed, you really need some sort of mag extension. If I ONLY ever shot USPSA Limited/L10 I would probably consider using one. However since I HAVE to use stock mags in IDPA and USPSA and IPSC Production I prefer to keep it the same. I am so used to grabbing that stock mag and feeling my left index finger come up into that small "cut out" portion in the front of the Glock mag opening that anything else feels weird. (Oh yeah and the newer Glocks are flat in front and don't have that "cut out" which I don't care for). In the beginning I too thought I needed one on a Limited gun but after shooting nothing but production for several years I realized that it just wasn't so.

So no magwell and no extended mags to shoot limited. I cant imagine shooting LTD with 15 shot mags.

I can. Not as my only mags in Limited, but certainly as an option. I know of shooters competing in L10 with singlestack 1911s, who would carry some eight rounders in their bag, in addition to the tenrounders -- to be used on classifiers, and on other stages as appropriate. Why? Because the eight's were consistently faster and easier to reload with...

The stock Glock mag reloads faster and more reliably for me than a 140. Maybe that's because I spend the bulk of my time in Production....

In L-10, I'd want to shoot stock mags....

Actually, if your read what Bob said, he didn't say he uses standard length mags in Limited. He only really mentions using them in IDPA and USPSA/IPSC Production.

I know for a fact that Dave had Arredondo extensions on the mags for his G35 when he used it to win the Limited national title a few years ago.

Here is what I read "However since I HAVE to use stock mags in IDPA and USPSA and IPSC Production I prefer to keep it the same".

You and I must have different definitions of same.

Actually, if your read what Bob said, he didn't say he uses standard length mags in Limited. He only really mentions using them in IDPA and USPSA/IPSC Production.

I know for a fact that Dave had Arredondo extensions on the mags for his G35 when he used it to win the Limited national title a few years ago.