Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't Sevigny and Vogel use a Magwell for Limited?

beltjones

Sevigny uses the "Sevigny Speedway" for Limited in his G35, and Vogel uses a Seattle Slug in his 24. Why don't two of the top Glock shooters use a magwell in a division where one is obviously allowed?

Is it because magwells can cause reliability issues, or because they want to keep their reloads sharp for Production? Or could it be something else entirely?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to guess it is related to consistency, and when you are at the level where you can consistently hit sub-second reloads without a magwell, then there is little reason to add one.

That would be my guess as well. I know when I practice dry fire reloads at home I use my production gun so that switching over to the Linited gun with a magwell is a piece of cake.

Dave uses the Speedway b/c its his? :unsure:

Neither one really need a magwell at all tho...

Chicken, meet egg. I doubt they invented the speedway and now Dave is forced to use it because it has his name on it. He could just as easily throw his name behind the magwell from SJC and use that in Limited if he so chose. However, he clearly chooses the speedway over putting a magwell on the Glock.

And yes, neither need a magwell, but neither does Blake or Travis or Manny or any number of top GMs, yet they still use one...

I imagine it has to do with keeping things consistent when switching between divisions and games (Lim/Prod and USPSA/IDPA).

I have a 24 on the way and I actually was considering not putting a mag well on my 24 so I don't get sloppy with my reloads when going back to Production.

Most of the gear we use is personal preference. They apparently don't like magwells.

My question is, WHY don't they like magwells on their Limited / L10 guns?

"Personal preferrence" isn't really an answer. Why is that their personal preference?

Magwells are what you use when you're learning to reload. wink.gif

Actually magwells are there for when you miss a reload BADLY. Dryfire is there to make the reloads perfect. When you have perfect reloads like most of those guys do a magwell is only needed to enhance their grip in the end.

Most of the gear we use is personal preference. They apparently don't like magwells.

My question is, WHY don't they like magwells on their Limited / L10 guns?

"Personal preferrence" isn't really an answer. Why is that their personal preference?

Years ago, I heard Dave say that he didn't use a magwell because he felt that his reloads were quick enough that he didn't feel he really needed one.

I have no idea about Bob.

Edited by joseywales

It's no advantage for them at their level.

I know Dave uses one on both the Limited and Open divisions in Steel Challenge, so obviously there is something he likes about them (probably balance considering reloads aren't done on the clock in that sport). He also has one on his new SV open gun. So what is it about USPSA Limited and L10 that makes him not want one?

I think the answer has to be consistency between divisions.

It's no advantage for them at their level.

I know Dave uses one on both the Limited and Open divisions in Steel Challenge, so obviously there is something he likes about them (probably balance considering reloads aren't done on the clock in that sport). He also has one on his new SV open gun. So what is it about USPSA Limited and L10 that makes him not want one?

I think the answer has to be consistency between divisions.

Dumb question... But where does dave run his mag pouches in the other divisions? All the pictures and youtube videos limited or not he runs them like his production set up, vertical and behind the hip. I realize this doesn't matter as much for steel challenge.

But considering uspsa/idpa i think this would add another check in the consistency box.

- Diminishing returns and all that. You can reload extremely quickly without a magwell, especially given the number of times both of these men have practiced reloading without a magwell. It probably wouldn't be any faster for them, and what, are they gonna break that habit the day or week before a match for a negligible decrease in times? I wouldn't.

- L-10/Limited Nats are in the same week as Production Nats, so there's no sense in changing gears a few days later given that the previous point is true.

- "Any number of other top GMs use them..." They use them because they have always used them and not using one would be unusual. It might be faster for them given a sloppier reload technique.

Plus, both of these guys have the talent and the sense to realize when they should leave their equipment well enough alone and just shoot. I on the other hand keep trying to scrounge the very last tenth of a millimeter out of my reset... LOL

Edited by Duane Thomas

I doubt they invented the speedway and now Dave is forced to use it because it has his name on it.

Thing is, Dave used the Speedway well before it had his name on it.

Exactly. Sevigny doesn't use the speedway because it's his... I'm sure they put his name on it because he uses it (and agreed to let them use his name).

I always figured from a marketing standpoint , it looked as if he was using a stock Glock from the casual observers view. Thus people thinking a stock Glock can run with the Custom Ltd guns. Makes for good advertising .

But , this may have nothing to do with it. Just a thought.

magwells on glocks don't look cool. I don't use one and lots of glock shooters i know don't use one either. I think they just don't feel right on the Glock when doing your meet and greet on the grip. I have a Techwell SS and Infinity Open gun with a magwell.