Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Malfunction

oddjob

I have a Benelli M2 with the Nordic extended tube and a welded up lifter/carrier. This weekend at a match I would fire the gun and the bolt would lock back. The chamber/receiver area is empty and the next round is still in the mag tube. I think the round in the tube was resting against the carrier. The bolt was back and I tried a variety of things and the bolt stayed back. I think I hit the carrier and the bolt went forward. I racked it and continued firing. I'm sorry about being vague, but it was in the "heat of battle" and I was in a rush. It did this with Fiocchi spreaders and Wal Mart W-W cheap rounds.

I did a search function, but couldn't find a malfunction like the one I had. I did bend the tip of the carrier down a tad (just now), but do I need to replace the carrier spring or anything else?? Or just use better ammo? It was running fine till this weekend. I shot sporting clays with it a few months ago without a problem (Wal Mart rounds). I just took it apart for a cleaning, but it doesn't seem that bad. Maybe a little dry. I'm telling you it was just about a death jam.........

thanks

I've had similar stoppages recently. Bolt is open, chamber empty, last round (always last round) is sitting on the lifter and the lifter is in the down position. To clear it I simply poke the lifter up and the round feeds and bolt closes. It acts as if the mag spring is too soft, the last round isn't pushed out of the magazine with enough force.

My new tube and spring are waiting for me to pick up.

I had this issue with the cheap federal from wal mart. I was told that it was most likely the follower sticking to the crimp in the last shell. There is a ring on the factory follower that gets pressed into the crimp, and can hang on to the shell. It was suggested to take down the edge of the ring.

I stopped shooting the Federals in matches - I've been shooting AA's since and no more issues.

I have had the identical problem in the last two Big events. I found that a firm grounding of the but plate will get the gun back in the fight.

my gun is doing it with the mag tube at near full

I have a new spring that sticks out 12" . = so my spring is full power

I got it to duplicate the problem this weekend on the practice field, the lifter did not fall down all the way and stuck just in place to keep the shell from coming out.

Trapr helped me out after Rocky Mountain with a bend and polish

But a back / rib injury kept me from any testing or practice before the Pro-Am

a friend function fired it for me about 20 rounds and it worked before I left for the Pro-Am

But One great stage for me and thin a bar-ff.

This is my new observation

(Bending it helped = But, if it stuck & does not travel all the way more bending may not help. It seams that the spring that makes the lifter go down needs more gusto. ??

More on this later

Edited by AlamoShooter

On a side note, I ran my M2 without that little black washer that holds the lifter spring in the guide groove at Rocky Mountain. The spring pushed against the plastic guide area that the rod traverses a little cockeyed but it held. An order for 3 replacements at $6.99 each from Brownells has me hooked up now if I ever misplace it during cleaning again. Since the expensive Benelli parts were on back order from Browwnells I went to my local Westlake Ace Hardware and bought several $.13 washers of which one now reside in my gun. The Ace washer ran great at the ProAm too.

Thought that might help someone in the future. If anybody needs any Benelli parts I now have just about everything required to build an M2 out of parts in my bag. I know Benellis rarely brake but I often loose stuff will cleaning guns in hotel rooms.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Sorry to thread jack but I am having a problem with my Benelli M2 as well. I have a stock operating system and have added a couple of parts; Nordic +6 tube, Nordic spring trimmed to 12" past tube, nordic follower, and a c-rums lifter. I have filed the loading port a little larger and other than that it is a stock gun.

What happens is I load the mag tube, chamber a round, and fire. When the gun fires it ejects the shell and the bolt closes but there isn't a round in the chamber. When I pull the trigger to fire the second round I can hear the second shell load onto the carrier so I have to charge it and then I can continue with my string. So basically the gun is not releasing the next shell onto the carrier during the firing cycle.

I am working the gun wrong? I am shooting tactical division so during the staging of the shotgun, I load 9 into the mag tube and pull back the bolt just enough to put in a chamber flag. When I am up, I move to the line, remove the chamber flag, hit the shell release (silver tab with red dot), and then rack the gun. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe every other stage. I think it only happens when the tube is near full. Am I not shouldering it enough to allow the inertia system to work?

So far the suggestions have been to bend/polish the shell stop a little because the shells are getting caught on it or to trim the mag spring to 8-10" past because there may be too much pressure against the shell stop.

Any help is appreciated and my times will reflect it.

Edited by joelogic

After watching the issues you had first hand, I think that the follower stuck in the crimp of the shell may be the

cause of the problem. I am going to check out my M2 follower and a shell. If you find out it was the lifter being bent let us know. Good shooting with you Monday.

Remington folks gotta be loving this thread!! Back to our scheduled program...............

Remington folks gotta be loving this thread!! Back to our scheduled program...............

I know there's one Mossy 930 owner/lover who has a big grin on his face right now. :wacko:

You guys will regret posting soonre than later I am afraid. :sight:

Sorry to thread jack but I am having a problem with my Benelli M2 as well. I have a stock operating system and have added a couple of parts; Nordic +6 tube, Nordic spring trimmed to 12" past tube, nordic follower, and a c-rums lifter. I have filed the loading port a little larger and other than that it is a stock gun.

What happens is I load the mag tube, chamber a round, and fire. When the gun fires it ejects the shell and the bolt closes but there isn't a round in the chamber. When I pull the trigger to fire the second round I can hear the second shell load onto the carrier so I have to charge it and then I can continue with my string. So basically the gun is not releasing the next shell onto the carrier during the firing cycle...

<<< Smug Remington Shooter :roflol:

This also sounds like shell surge: When the gun fires, it recoils back towards the shooter but the inertia of the shell stack keeps it momentarily in the same place... in other words, the shells effectively move forward in the magazine tube. Thus, when the shell latch opens, there are no shells to pop out, and so you end up with an empty chamber. The easiest fix for shell surge is a stronger magazine spring. You chopped yours to 12" past the tube, which may be too weak for such a long mag tube. Try installing a brand new mag spring (I like the Wolff extra power version) without cutting it down at all, and see if this fixes the problem. If you want, you can cut the spring an inch at a time until you have malfunctions, then you will know the shortest you can go.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have had several glitches with my M1, and traced them to the mag spring. I now use the Wolff +10% cut down just to the point where the Nordic tube will hold the specified rounds. I have found that the spring needs to be replaced often, at least once a year. I'm not sure why, but the springs (of any brand) don't seem to last long. No malfunctions since I started using this spring and changing it often. I also like the Nordic follower; it seems to move smoother. And I shoot full power loads.

One of the things that we’ve found is that Benelli is using two piece mag tubes in their receivers,

One is fixed into the receiver and is about two inches long, threaded into it is the longer tube that the barrel slides over and the magazine cap or extension tube nut threads on to.

The problem we’ve seen is that a lot of times there is 15 thousandths “Step” or offset in between these threaded parts , and the follower and sometimes the shells themselves will “hang up” just enough to get a failure to feed. Benelli fixed this the cheap fast way by putting a huge chamfer on both ends of their little plastic follower. But some (ok most) aftermarket followers are made to a bit tighter Quality control, and when they encounter this Offset . . . . you can get a failure to feed.

If, when you strip down your shotgun and look down the mag tube and you see a little line about two to three inches from the receiver end . . . . that could be the problem. Look at your follower and if only the outside leading edge is a bit worn over . . . that could be your sign.

If there is an excessive offset . take it to the local Benelli tuner of your choice and have them hone out the mag tube till there is no longer an obstruction.

I not saying this is your problem . . . .but it could be. . .and if it is . . . .about $70.00 should fix it.

Of course someone could take a bore scope and a camera and point this out to Benelli . . . but DMW already got my $70 and even if they knew about it . . . .would they fix it?

Yep, that and a 5-10 though ridge on the factory "red anodized" follower right at the front and it doesn't matter how much "spring" you have. Coupled with a samll ridge in the locking lug recess, on some guns, will keep a lot of M2 of reaching their full potential. This post puts me at "risk" with Benelli, but it has to be said! Take your "red" follower and turn down the very front and polish it...or get a Nordic follower.....Special note get a Nordic spring for a Nordic follower, don't miss match springs and followers!!!!! Also check your locking lug recesses for high spots and polish them out if needed! KurtM

Tyro Shooter: Is this only a problem with the M2's; or are the M1's also built this way? I suppose I could look, but I've only taken the shotgun down once in the 8 years i've owned it and I don't remember how. What? Clean a Benelli? Why?

as far as I know, all Benelli shotguns are built this way possably the "old H&K's might be the exception . . . never had that problem kick up with the Old guns . . . most (ok all ) of the times this has been an issue in on the firearms made in the last couple of years,

they use stock modular parts where ever they can between models.

what kurt said helps a lot as well

Nordic followers and springs. . . .

Redneaktactical did a house call last night and came up with the best /most likely cause of my problem.

My problem is first of all I pinch a dime and waste a dollar sometimes. I should have let Benny Hill get my Benelli match ready. Instead I Hogged on it my self ending up with an ugly marked up gun.

Any way to Trapr saved me again

the spring under the magazine Carrier catch was ..mangled. after he left I remember messing with it when I first got the gun "Fixing it" until it was broken. when it was not broken in the first place at all.

Any way I need a new spring for the magazine Carrier catch , and I should be good.

Robbed parts from the new gun to make sure that would fix the old one.

edited after Dan's help with words.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Ummmmm, Jamie, is that the carrier release? The conical spring under the lever that has the button on it? An M2 doesn't have a magazine catch.

OK OK, yes the carrier release spring. Off to the range tomorrow to run some drills and make sure it is working.

Edited by AlamoShooter