Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 3 Episode 5

Am I the only one getting really tired of the unsportsmanlike conduct? Thank goodness for Jarret and Gary. And to Cliff: :cheers:

I actually thought they showed more good sportsmanship on this episode, at least at the range for the team challenge. Jake has been made out to be (probably through the editing process) an overbearing jerk, but in his challenge with Chris, you can see that he's a good sport. There were lots of handshakes, etc., throughout the challenge, possibly because it couldn't be well edited any other way.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I was glad to get through that one with a team win. I was unhappy last week not being able to win enough points to put my team up and I was really happy not to lose the lead they gave me this week. I was the worst thrower on my team. I was only sticking half of the knives and axes I threw at practice. As for the rocks, I didn't take it seriously at practice. It was hard to focus on throwing rocks at a bullseye. They didn't show it but back at the house, we set up a bench and cans and did head to head matches just like the challenge. That was a good guess on our part. Phil was the best on from our team and we had hoped to leave him last. Mike was our pick to throw the knives at the cards. He was good in practice. When they picked him, we thought we had it set. He wins and I break the glass. Even if I lose, we are up by 1 going into the last stage with our best guy. Mike, of course, doesn't win and they get the pick. The rest was fortunate.

For those who don't like the show why watch?? It is not made for people here. For a show to last, they have to know their target audience and they do very well. It is made for the general public and portrays shooters in a positive manner. When is the last shooting was shown as a skill with national coverage? Top shot is bringing our sport into the mainstream. Look at the top shot facebook page. People from all over the world are talking about the guns and competitors. People who do not shoot are asking how they can learn to do this. So what if they have rocks and a cannon? It is still a TV show and they are trying to appeal to a wide audience. I thought the two rock events were the most exciting to watch last night. Top shot is a good thing for the shooting sports and the 2nd amendment. How can that be garbage??

I love the show Cliff and thanks for posting you comments. :cheers::bow: :bow:

I would have liked to see the mountain gun fire. We could hear it from the house while the practice and match were going on but the red team didn't get to see it until last night.

Am I the only one getting really tired of the unsportsmanlike conduct? Thank goodness for Jarret and Gary. And to Cliff: :cheers:

Cliff did a great job and is representing USPSA well as are the other shooters.

I don't know if it is unsportsmanlike or not but the clapping like it was Price is Right or something was kinda..uhh..gugugu...weird? :rolleyes:

It's natural for we competitive shooters to wish the show was more like a real competitive event.

Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct. I was referring to Michael (?) telling Jake (?) to choke and clapping when the other team missed. I'm all for celebrating a win after the fact but rooting for the other guy to mess up is in poor taste. Not to mention bad karma.

Overall, I really dig the series and I think this season's challenges have been the best so far. Normally I hate product placement but it makes me happy to see companies like Salient, Black Hills, AA&A getting exposure to a world wide audience. The producers have been very tasteful by not trying to hard sell the sponsors wares.

P.S. I'm sure there are archery or stone throwing forums with lots of folks complaining that all they do on Top Shot is shoot guns. ;)

Most of us were there to do our best and see who comes out on top. I got the impression that if the bus crashed on the way to the show and Mike was the only survivor, he would be proud to win Top Shot. He was definitely a win at any cost kind of guy.

If you guys listen to this podcast, you'll hear some very disconcerting things about Jake.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts/2011/08/18/gun-nuts-radio-top-shot-interviews

Turns out that Jake during the first day in the house announced to his team that "if" they ever vote him into an elimination challenge, that he would not only win the elimination challenge, but then he would purposely tank all his future team challenge efforts to screw his own team over. (Listen at 23:25 in the interview).

Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct. I was referring to Michael (?) telling Jake (?) to choke and clapping when the other team missed. I'm all for celebrating a win after the fact but rooting for the other guy to mess up is in poor taste. Not to mention bad karma.

Overall, I really dig the series and I think this season's challenges have been the best so far. Normally I hate product placement but it makes me happy to see companies like Salient, Black Hills, AA&A getting exposure to a world wide audience. The producers have been very tasteful by not trying to hard sell the sponsors wares.

P.S. I'm sure there are archery or stone throwing forums with lots of folks complaining that all they do on Top Shot is shoot guns. ;)

I actually think it was the other way around. With Jake saying he hoped Michael would choke and at one point while he is sitting in the stands Jake grabs his throat and starts making choking noises.

I just wish SOMEONE would vote Jake into the elimination challenge soon, and keep doing it until he loses one.

I think some of the opinions formed because it seems like a team event but it's really every man for himself, one winner, no matter how the format starts.

Yea i get what your saying.. But when it comes down to the merger (assuming that still happens), in past episodes the team with fewer members still gets eliminated first before they start picking on their own team..

So its still important to have as many of your guys around when that time comes.

Edited by inkballedtarget

It can be garbage if it is a waste of an opportunity. Not liking this particular episode is not a slam against the entire show or anyone who is involved. I have enjoyed many aspects of the show. This episode could have been spent proving who is a better shot. Instead someone was eliminated because of a non shooting challenge.

-ld

I can understand the need for variation and a desire to push people to perform in unusual challenges, but the show is called "Top Shot", not "Top Thrower" or "Top Chucker". Can sword fights be far behind?

As far as cannons and Gatling guns, that's more about mechanical aptitude, attention to detail, and the ability to stay calm. All traits of a good shot but not what would be my first choice for an elimination challenge.

There was a brief moment toward the end of the Hotchkiss challenge, where they showed Mike Hughes cleaning the bore -- and it was beautiful to watch. He ran the wet swab through the bore, withdrew it, as it exited the breech he spun it in his hand, draped the rag/cloth over the other end with his other hand, and ran the patch through the bore.

It was a small thing -- but in its own way reminiscent of watching a GM reloading or loading on the clock -- just beautifully executed.....

While I'm on board with not loving the non-shooting episodes, at least in this one, I found some cool moments, like the one detailed above....

Cliff on the cans, and the tic-tac-toe contest were pretty cool as well....

Cliff may not have appeared to be the best rock thrower -- but his performance looked like an example of grace under pressure....

Nice job, Cliff!

(Just ignore jhgtyre's rudeness.)

Thankfully Cliff does not produce, direct, write or act as a consultant on the show so you are correct "nice job, Cliff." Thus far your performance both on and off the show has been exemplary as both a sportsman and a spokesman.

As far as those who do perform the above mentioned duties they have improved, in my opinion, in several ways this year. Sadly, again in my opinion, the primitive weapons aspect of the show isn't one of them. Throwing away good shooters on those sorts of events just irks me. The events are greatly improved over past seasons as are the weapons used in most episodes. I know canons and gatlin guns are exciting to television audiences but man on man steel with plate racks and overlapping poppers or a run at some bowling pins might be pretty cool too. There is so much shooting that could be done that I don't see the point in throwing rocks and knives.

-ld