Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with top shooters in your squad

lugnut

When you're on my stage I'll ask him how he feels shooting with the famous Lugnut.

You think Dave will intimidate him?

If I don't intimidate him... I'm sure I'll piss him off. I seem to be doing a lot of that lately... blink.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a possibility I may be shooting with a top GM- very high level. Different division, however it's a major match and part of me says to not let it distract me- just focus on my game and my abilities... part of me says it's a rare thing- watch and observe them as much as possible and use it as a pseudo training experience/entertainment. It's an awesome sport in that some run of us run of the mill shooters get to experience this. What have some of you done in similar situations?

Don't forget, you will also be shooting with a M class production shooter. maybe 2.

There is a possibility I may be shooting with a top GM- very high level. Different division, however it's a major match and part of me says to not let it distract me- just focus on my game and my abilities... part of me says it's a rare thing- watch and observe them as much as possible and use it as a pseudo training experience/entertainment. It's an awesome sport in that some run of us run of the mill shooters get to experience this. What have some of you done in similar situations?

Don't forget, you will also be shooting with a M class production shooter. maybe 2.

They don't bother me.... usually. Plus I know them personally. rolleyes.gif

Yes sir, 23. Targets where taped, painted and set before they could call the next shooter up.

Yeah, everyone worked on the stages. If someone had to take off for a minute it was no issue. Good times. I had a lot of fun and that made for a good match.

How did you fair?

Well if I could of shot the match sat, like I did sunday it would of been a lot better. 26th overall and 5th in my class.

Isnt that the truth.. Wish I would have shot Saturday like I did Sunday. At least 3 of the saturday stages. :wacko:

Well if I could of shot the match sat, like I did sunday it would of been a lot better. 26th overall and 5th in my class.

Isnt that the truth.. Wish I would have shot Saturday like I did Sunday. At least 3 of the saturday stages. :wacko:

Stage 12... jacked that one up. Stage 1, well I would slow down for the corner this time.

Linc, DWFAN

Squad 23? Yes we did have a good squad.

Linc, DW, and GT...great shooting with you guys.

On Saturday, I was really working hard to keep my blood sugar correct and the heat was getting to me. Being able to sit out occasionally on the resets made a huge difference.

Stage 12... jacked that one up. Stage 1, well I would slow down for the corner this time.

I'd love to have 10 and 12 back.

Changing over my pouches for the glock right now. Havent decided if I am going to shoot L-10 or Limited. I like the idea of less mag changes after shooting SS this summer. Still need to get me some mag extensions then I will have some fun in limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE shooting with the best people at the match. I learn so much from watching them.

But...I do know that I can't shoot as well as they can so when the time comes for me to map out the stage, I make sure that I stay within my abilities.

I do occasionally push the boundaries though.

Well I did shoot with a top shooter... you might even say one of the best.... JJ Racaza. I even had to go after him on almost every stage! He was a great guy and in no way did I feel uncomfortable shooting with him. I shot Production so I really didn't try to copy anything he was doing! I felt more pressure from the other Production shooter in my squad!! They were killing me! It was a great squad and we had a great time!

This was a great pic from the match when we were chatting with JJ.

That's pretty much a guarantee at my club at almost every match, and it can be a bit intimidating. The main thing is to learn from them, but don't let what they do affect your game, especially if they shoot in your division. There's been a couple of stages recently where a GM shooter found a sweet spot and shot through a bunch of portals at targets that I'd have NO chance of hitting if I tried it, and as I result, I had to leg it out through the course of fire where they could just throw rounds from one spot.

The trick is to know your limits, push them, and enjoy the show the GM's are putting on, hoping to learn whatever you can from them.

I like watching football, and I like tossing the pigskin every once in a while. But while it's entertaining to watch Ray Lewis plow over Roethlisberger, I'm not gonna go try anything he does (unless there's a limo on a pistol stage :surprise: ) because I know my limits. I'll just stick to playing catch.

The one thing I try to watch out for, that's not been listed yet, is try NOT to listen to the GM's firing cadence.

It seems if I'm not careful I'll incorporate that into my own visualization and forget to watch that front sight.