Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with top shooters in your squad

lugnut

There is a possibility I may be shooting with a top GM- very high level. Different division, however it's a major match and part of me says to not let it distract me- just focus on my game and my abilities... part of me says it's a rare thing- watch and observe them as much as possible and use it as a pseudo training experience/entertainment. It's an awesome sport in that some run of us run of the mill shooters get to experience this. What have some of you done in similar situations?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a possibility I may be shooting with a top GM- very high level. Different division, however it's a major match and part of me says to not let it distract me- just focus on my game and my abilities... part of me says it's a rare thing- watch and observe them as much as possible and use it as a pseudo training experience/entertainment. It's an awesome sport in that some run of us run of the mill shooters get to experience this. What have some of you done in similar situations?

Yes ... frequently!

Observe and learn. But remember ... He's the GM, not you. Trying to accomplish some of the things he will do could get you into trouble if you're not ready for it! "A man has got to know his limitations." With time and experience, those limitations will lift and you should be able to do great things!

I shot Area 4 with 3 GM's, and Phil Strader following us around on day one. No big deal. They show you a TON in the way of stage breakdown, and ways to shoot a stage that you would have never thought of. Just know your abilities. A4 didnt have anything a GM could do that I couldnt, they just do it faster.. :roflol:

Yes ... frequently!

Observe and learn. But remember ... He's the GM, not you. Trying to accomplish some of the things he will do could get you into trouble if you're not ready for it! "A man has got to know his limitations." With time and experience, those limitations will lift and you should be able to do great things!

I understand... plus he'll likely have 28 rounds in his gun and I'll only have 11! roflol.gif

I guess what I'm debating is do I just watch him and observe (not trying to apply his skills at the match!) at the cost of my performance.... or do I try to ignore what he's doing as it won't help my stage planning, etc. I don't often pay too much attention to shooters in Limited or Open since they break down things entirely different as I do in Production... and usually I'd use that time solidifying my plan- when I'm not taping that is. Either way it will be a great experience.

I also shot A4 with a very famous top shot "er" and a couple of really famous north Louisiana folks. They could not have been nicer. You couldn't beat them to the targets to tape and set steel, and they were all open to both give out and listen to stage questions and advise. I shot the best match of my life at A4 and I give a lot of credit for the top shooters in our squad for setting the pace. If they did it in 11 second, I shot for 13, sometimes I ended up at 11 too. I find that to be much better than shooting with my buddies and just trying to beat their times. I would treat it as a learning experience and soak up all that you can.

Ditto to what others have already said

A few things that work for me...

First, they are real people trying to compete (and win) just like anyone else. Some are chatty, others want isolation. Just like your regular shooting buddies, try to be courteous of their game. Very few shooters want to get chatted up right before they shoot.

Second, their stage breakdowns may or may not be possible for me, some of it depends on their style vs. my style (Divisional differences aside).

Third, there may be times when a GM hangs it out, especially towards the end making risky (competition wise, not safety wise) shots to pick up a few match percentage. For me, that risk is usually not worth the reward in the end.

Fourth, I NEVER watch a better shooter than me if they are 2 or 3 shooters before me.

Fifth, don't change plans if you have not left yourself enough time to program the stage.

Sixth, on the learning side, AFTER both of you have shot a stage, if the GM happens to be inclined to watch and critique, ask those questions. Why he did X, or should you have done X. Any decent shooter who is inclined to teach and analyze, regardless of skill level, will be able to watch you shoot a few stages and pick up your style. The 3rd or 4th stage in, you can "mini-class" yourself and learn a lot.

Last, be willing to dismiss some of what a GM does/says if it does not fit your style, skill level. We are all individuals and from the GMs to the Ds, we all have different apptitudes, preferences and styles.

Ditto to what others have already said

A few things that work for me...

First, they are real people trying to compete (and win) just like anyone else. Some are chatty, others want isolation. Just like your regular shooting buddies, try to be courteous of their game. Very few shooters want to get chatted up right before they shoot.

Second, their stage breakdowns may or may not be possible for me, some of it depends on their style vs. my style (Divisional differences aside).

Third, there may be times when a GM hangs it out, especially towards the end making risky (competition wise, not safety wise) shots to pick up a few match percentage. For me, that risk is usually not worth the reward in the end.

Fourth, I NEVER watch a better shooter than me if they are 2 or 3 shooters before me.

Fifth, don't change plans if you have not left yourself enough time to program the stage.

Sixth, on the learning side, AFTER both of you have shot a stage, if the GM happens to be inclined to watch and critique, ask those questions. Why he did X, or should you have done X. Any decent shooter who is inclined to teach and analyze, regardless of skill level, will be able to watch you shoot a few stages and pick up your style. The 3rd or 4th stage in, you can "mini-class" yourself and learn a lot.

Last, be willing to dismiss some of what a GM does/says if it does not fit your style, skill level. We are all individuals and from the GMs to the Ds, we all have different apptitudes, preferences and styles.

Mark is spot on +1

one thing extra to add to his notes. try to come up with your stage plan on you own first if you can walk the stage before you see the top guys, thin you can see if what you came up with is close to their plan.

With every shooting game , just like Mark said . the way the top guys shoot may not fit with our abilities.

I have found that IF I was more accurate and faster my scores would improve , but I still do not have 1/2 of the athletic skill the top guys have. If we were chopping wood I would still get beat by the same %

I learned a lot from shooting with a GM at my first big match. I didn't approach him so as not to bother, but he came and talked to me and gave me advice on how to better breakdown a stage as well as mentally prepare to shoot. Really nice guy and great to shoot with and squad with. It was like I got a two day class for free.

I shot with a top GM this year at Indiana and Area 5. I learned a ton just following him around and watching him break down stages. I'm a lefty so I did some things my own way but he came up with stuff I just don't notice yet. Since there were only a few of us shooting production on our squad we naturally ended up talking about how we would shoot things. Occasionally he would ask if I was going to try and make a difficult shot and I told him I didn't think I had the skill and was going to try an easier route. He called me a wussy cause I wouldn't shoot a texas star on the move :)

All in all it was a very good experience and I would highly recommend paying attention. Just remember your skill level.

I shot with a top GM at the FL Open this year. He had kind of an off day the first day, so he wan't real chatty, but if I was him I think I would have had the same mind set. Day two, he was more relaxed, and he was very approachable. Several stages he was very open with why he was shooting the stage a certain way. When we asked why, he was happy to explain and I think everyone learned something that day. He was shooting Open, I was shooting Production, so like you said, hard to shoot just like him with the bottomless magazine :rolleyes: , but what I picked up were things like why shoot that target instead of that one when you come into an array, etc. It was basic stuff to him, but for me it was a real learning experience. If I had the chance, I would shoot with a GM any day. So much to learn.

OH! com-on if you wont mention it maybe you are A...w :goof:

Can you spell it out? I can't fill in the dots there. closedeyes.gif

:D the dots are me hesitating to use the Wuss word - just playing with you , I wouldn't bring it up ether <_<

But I wouldn't shoot a start on the move ether ;)

OH! com-on if you wont mention it maybe you are A...w :goof:

Can you spell it out? I can't fill in the dots there. closedeyes.gif

:D the dots are me hesitating to use the Wuss word - just playing with you , I wouldn't bring it up ether <_<

But I wouldn't shoot a start on the move ether ;)

Too funny!