Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Playing Modified

shred

After Area 4 the cat is out of the bag (well, everybody in Central TX has known for a while)

Since it might be the last-gasp for Modified and I've always wanted to run one, we built up a Mod gun for the World Shoot.

James Ong likes to say Modified guns combine the worst aspects of both Open and Limited into one pistol and I don't think this one is quite that bad, but not far off (Phil Strader may disagree... he shot it after A4 and was either making manaical giggling or whimpering sounds by the end, but he stuck with it and shot all the rounds in the magazine, bleeding thumbs and all)

But, there's a good reason we don't shoot Modified guns in Open division here. A flippy .40 with a small scope and 8 less rounds on board is not exactly competitive with a full-up Open setup.

Anyway,

If the division goes away internationally it will be sad, because it's by far the most interesting pistol engineering challenge out there, and the guys that can get one to run 100% are few and far between.

Anyway, it's a fun little sucker, even if it's not a pretty gun or even terribly pleasant to shoot.

I had a lot of fun with the ROs at Area 4 since the stage description for the gun-on-table starts specified "muzzle perpendicular with the rear berm". :D

post-1846-0-15312800-1315171743_thumb.jp

Ok Shred you have to have a better pic of whatever that is hanging off the end of the barrel.

That's the top-secret Pelton-Technology Hammerheaded Shred-Comp :ph34r: (and the reason it isn't quite as evil as other Mod guns) :D :D

It's kind of funny since that one is aluminum. Last thing you want on a tiny little comp gun is a light comp, right? Except we made a steel one (after a dozen Al versions), and the dot track was a lot worse. After 4000 rounds, the Al is getting burnt through, but we made spares.. screw on a new one and it's off to the Worlds.

Cool! I figured it was a big hunk of steel to add some weight.

Nah, Tungsten's where it's at for that. ;) Almost twice as dense as brass. We'll be bolting some of that on too. I think I see a spot under the comp a nice slug would fit.

is it really going out for good?

Don't know, but the tea-leaves point that way. Deleting Modified is on the "agenda" for the World Shoot General Assembly, which in my experience usually means it gets passed one way or another (parliamentary tricks have been played in the past). I don't know the politics there, but it appears they are selling it out as a trade for a 'single stack' division for all the old pharts :(

What's odd is the justifications to get rid of it

"Not enough competitors to crown a legitimate World Champion"

-- Uh, Revo always has less shooters, and how about the Lady/Junior/Senior/Super Senior World Champions? There's less of them than Mod competitors in several divisions.

"Too much work for stats"

-- Really? Although I'm not that keen on lots of divisions, we get by with more divisions than they have already

I think somebody just doesn't like it for whatever reason and wants to kill it. That sucks. It's not a fast-growing division, but it's a really fun one for the engineers.

Hello: You could always make a tungston sleeve to go onto the barrel for more weight up front. You could also take more off the back of the slide to make it fit the box easier. Looks cool to me :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Thanks. I don't think I'd get more rounds in the mag or more room for comp trimming the slide, but I'll probably take a swipe more off just to get some wiggle room. That box is .1mm or so undersize, so it'll fit as-is, but there's no reason not to.

I'll probably load some weight onto the frame up front-- with the Al comp, the barrel weight is shifted rearwards enough already.

thinking of doing one in case the division stays, any suggestions guys? port? if so how many? or just a comp? or port + comp or no port and no comp just a carry weight?

First off, pick the frame you plan to use.

Second, pick the scope you want to use

Third, pick the number of rounds you want on board

If you can get all 3 of those in the box, you're 90% of the way there. :D

Those will dictate the barrel+comp length and position within the box.

Look at a bunch of pictures of other Mod guns and see what the pluses and minuses of each are.

Most all the Mod guns have holes or a comp of some sort. Comps are harder to fit in the box than barrel holes.

Get ready to cut nearly everything.

What's odd is the justifications to get rid of it

"Not enough competitors to crown a legitimate World Champion"

-- Uh, Revo always has less shooters, and how about the Lady/Junior/Senior/Super Senior World Champions? There's less of them than Mod competitors in several divisions.

"Too much work for stats"

-- Really? Although I'm not that keen on lots of divisions, we get by with more divisions than they have already

I think somebody just doesn't like it for whatever reason and wants to kill it. That sucks. It's not a fast-growing division, but it's a really fun one for the engineers.

Odd, indeed. I think it is a goofy division, but that (given) reasoning is... weak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sitting here in the huge international departure hall in Houston brings me back to a bunch of other fun international trips that havd gone through here... WS Ecuador and a bunch of Columbus Cups..

I also found this pic that might be interesting. Its the lid of my IPSC box detailing the rounds through the mod gun since we built it. Normally I'm not near this anal, but we were worried about the longevity of some of the hacked on parts. A few didn't quite make it go the target 10K life..

post-1846-0-55920300-1317306266_thumb.jp