Bending shotgun barrel to POA

Jin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

reading this thread got me thinking. if it doesn't take much of a blow to change to POA/POI, i'm wondering what the chances are to do the same thing while dumping shotguns under the clock in multi gun? i've witnessed some pretty aggressive dumping...just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my video of me trying to bend my barrel without actually bending it. :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1CKMGgrXJI&feature=youtu.be

At the beginning it was shooting about 7" right at 100. Its now shooting about 3-4" right at 100. I gotta go whack it some more tonight!!! Don't worry Ill get some video. Im gonna get rough with it cause its been a bad girl.

Here is my video of me trying to bend my barrel without actually bending it. :blink:

At the beginning it was shooting about 7" right at 100. Its now shooting about 3-4" right at 100. I gotta go whack it some more tonight!!! Don't worry Ill get some video. Im gonna get rough with it cause its been a bad girl.

Hmm, that would be fun to send to a few "tree-huggers" I know... :devil:

I had a trap shooting buddy that had a piece of brass bar stock that just fit inside of his choke he would put the other end of the bar in a truck receiver hitch and adjust the impact of his perazzi it seemed to work he's helluva handicap shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1CKMGgrXJI&feature=youtu.be

WOW! Thanks Jesse. I need to do the same thing to my barrel, but I really wanted to see someone else beat their $500 benelli barrel against something first. I'm sold!

Jesse T,

That is about how hard i whacked mine. if i had to describe the force exerted...just enough to drive a nail into a fresh 2x4.

thanks for posting the video!

I'm picking up some slugs this weekend to pattern the new JM 930, I'm hoping it's off a little just so I have an excuse to beat it against a tree.

Do I have to remove the barrel from the shotgun first? :)

if u don't remove the barrel, remove the shells :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread. Anyone have suggestions on how to get the POI with slugs the same as the center of impact of the shot pattern? My shot patterns are off about a foot right and a foot high at 25 yards from the slug impacts.

Thanks

Scott

Oh and we rarely shoot shot out to 25 yards. You might look closer at 10, 15, up to 20. 20 is pretty far actually. 17-18 is abou as far as most matches will make u use shot because a 20 gauge cylinder note gun won't knock over steel that far away and that is supposed to be the calibration gun.

Try two things first:

1.) try the shims that come with the shotgun. They work wonders.

2.) try a nordic clamp. It cleared up all my of issues.

Just a thought. If you are dead set on bending it. Go for it! But I looked at barrel bending as a last resort. Your barrel though.

We put them in a mill. One end in vice other on blocks and use mill head to push down on middle. It is crazy how much they flex before bending. Be sure to shoot a bunch of shot through them after bending. An older smith said when they heat up they may return alittle. Not sure if that is true or not.

Yes I tried different slugs and shot. Using the IC tube that came with the gun.

Might be worth while to try a different IC tube, maybe an extended tube.

Not running a clamp on the extension but that might be worth trying also.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them a try this weekend.

Scott

Jesse, where do come up with these pearls of wisdom? I have never in my life heard or read in any rule set that the "calibration" gun was a 20 gage with a cylinder choke....or lack of choke in this case. Help me out, where did this come from?