Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays powder

jerzeydevil77

After reading through the forum, I've gathered that a lot of you like Clays powder for loading 45acp., I also was referred to Powder Valley for the powder. Which one do I choose though? They have HODGDON CLAYS, HODGDON INTERNATIONAL CLAYS, & HODGDON UNIVERSAL CLAYS!? :unsure:

...I think universal and international are for shotgun.

Oddly enough, so is "Clays".

So is Solo1000.

The Clays series of powders are Australian made.

Clays is listed here as AS30 and recommended for both shotgun and pistol. We used to have an AP30 for pistol but it was dropped as AS30 (Clays) could be substituted.

International is our AS50 a shotgun powder. We have AP50 here for pistol so no pistol loads are listed for AS50(International) either by the manufacturer or Hodgdon.

Universal is our AP70 a pistol powder. We also have AS70 for shotgun. Universal is listed by Hodgdon for both shotgun and pistol.

Peter

• 1 year later...

I use 4.2 gr. of Clays with a 230 gr, BBI RN or Bayou 230 gr. loaded at 1.250 OAL with a Federal LPP (revolver load) and also use a Lee FCD. I have not experienced any bullet pull with my loads using the Lee FCD as mentioned in another post. The same load also work very well in my 1911.

After a long search, looking at various powders. I have settled on Clays. 4.2 to 4.3 grains with a 200g LSWC set at 1.243 inches OAL, accurate, feeds well. Clays works both very well with 230g and 200g 45 ACP bullets. The VV line of powders are great, but more expensive, harder to get, and really not that much better. Use Clays and enjoy shooting.

Has anyone tried Alliant's "Clay Dot" powder? Is it extruded, flake, or spherical? Anybody know its nitroglycerin content? Clay has 10% nitro, but Alliant's MSDS only lists it between 4% (American Select) and 40% (Bullseye).

Clay Dot seems to be considerably cheaper and its made in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 4 grains of Clays with a 230 grain LRN seated to 1.27" for .45 ACP major (consistently out of a 4" 625, out of my 1911 you need even less powder), 4.5 gr with a 160 grain seated to the crimp groove for ICORE (120 PF), 155s with 3.3 grains seated just below the shoulder in .40 S&W for minor out of a 5" barrel.

I basically use it on everything except .223.