Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's been a weird year here in beautiful downtown Wilmington, Delaware. Heavy snow this winter, near record triple digit heat this summer, a storm that approached tornado winds that came though the city, an earthquake, and now this. Lots of work for contractors but everyone else has suffered.

If I were of a mind, I'd be watching for 4 guys on horseback...

Edited by Graham Smith

My jack nut friends are running the surf. Drove down the coast weds and are going to surf the storm. We did it back with Gloria, however I'm a lot older now. Hope they all come out the other side of this dumb idea ok.

My jack nut friends are running the surf. Drove down the coast weds and are going to surf the storm. We did it back with Gloria, however I'm a lot older now. Hope they all come out the other side of this dumb idea ok.

Its best not to Mess with mother nature, if anything on earth is unpredictable that"s it.

Best of luck to all in her path

Jim

On the Cape Cod Peninsula in Ma. Looks like we will get high surf and some wind Sunday. Hope the windsurfers that usually go off Chatham, Ma can dodge the Great Whites that have been stalking those waters last few weeks. They are probably tired of Seals by now :surprise:

Good luck to you all and hope Western Mass is ready. They do not need any more wind

we are getting some wicked winds now here in Jersey. I have oak trees across the street that have the tops bent over. Still have power, hopefully it stays that way! Sort of glad that the area 8 match isn't this weekend, I would be shooting it this the morning:) Still have off tomorrow, guess I will have a nice clean up. Good luck to everyone else affected by the storm.

Brian

We are in Fauquier county west of DC by 30 miles. West enough to be on the western edge.

All night rain and wind but nothing serious it would seem. Still dark....

Hope everyone fairs OK.....

The power is out in Richmond. Based on the amount of trees down around the house it looks like 3 to 5 days before it is back up. No real damage at the house except for what is going to go bad in the freezer. Based on the news, in NYC I was expecting human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, and mass hysteria.

Edited by markcic

What a strange storm. Ocean City, MD was right in the path but had minimal damage, same for Ocean City, NJ. I was worried about my beach house in Dewey Beach, DE but we had less flooding than after some big rain storms. But Long Island got clobbered and half of Vermont is without power (and they don't even have a coastline)!

On the other hand, the Philadelphia area has had over 19" of rain in August, breaking the prior record of 11+" and some areas are so deep underwater they look like lakes.

Edited by Graham Smith

Coastal areas usually do not flood except for a storm surge. I have sandy soil and am about 2 miles from the ocean and just 1/2 mile from tributaries and we never get flooding. You go another mile or 2 inland and there will be some flooding as the streams rise. Further inland is when it gets really bad during really heavy rains. At least around here.

VT was hammered with rain. Mostly southern and central. I have relatives and friends who will not have power and a way to drive to or from there homes for some time. Some are not even accesible by ATV. Where I am we were spared, alot of rain and some damaging winds.....but not the rain they had south of us. A few of these same places had just rcovered from some severe flooding last spring. One river crested at over 4 feet above the all time highest it has ever been!

There are tons of trees down in the neighborhood in Richmond. The power went out 2PM on Saturday. Perfect timing too. I just got ready to load 1k for area 2. 1050s suck without as a case feeder. Picked up a generator yesterday. Amazing enough the FIOS still works. I'm figuring on being without power till at least Saturday.

Been thru 7 of these things and they are all different. Rode out the first, typhoon actually, on an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea in '66. Picture a 1,000 foot long boat rocking side to side @ 22 degrees off centerline. That's an "E" ticket ride for a 19 year old. Next was in Houston that was no big deal. Did Andrew back in 92' and 4 others in South Florida. Had the eye of a cat 2 go right over top of me. Dead calm, not quite sunny then the back side hit. Couldn't see a tree 10' off my back door. Been thru no power for 11 days. Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Campbell Hearty's from the can heated over a camp stove. Walked around the yard and neighborhood w/ an open carry Glock 40 on my hip to keep the riff raff away. The trash and scum of society come out at times like that to loot and take whatever they can get their hands on. Ya do what ya gotta do but I'm telling you you find out who you're married to and what kind of neighbors you have when the electricity goes off. People get real friendly when they find out you're armed and can protect the neighborhood. I'm lucky. I got a trooper. She hitched up her shorts, strapped on a J frame and stood watch w/ the rest of the neighborhood. We got thru it and so will you but it ain't gonna be easy. Don't wait for ice from FEMA. It ain't gonna happen. Just know you all are in our thoughts but there's not much we can do from a 1,000 miles away except send you our cracker jack electrical power and infrastructure teams. Hell, w/ no power you won't even read this till you're halfway back to operational. As for toilet issues, I hope you bought lime. You'll learn about tree branches, sheets and a Boy Scout latrine. There should be enough leaves available because the Charmin won't last. On the plus side I have one of the best flower beds you ever saw. :cheers:

If you want to put America on it's knees in 5 days, turn off the electricity.

Edited by buckaroo45

Don't wait for ice from FEMA. It ain't gonna happen.

Yeah - In NJ, the truck drivers with supplies from FEMA got told to drive up and sit and wait until the governor had exhausted all other avenues before they were allowed to distribute supplies.