Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun training drill

I wanted to come up with a fast easy drill that works a lot of the skills we use in shotgun for 3-gunning.

Five stationary steel reactive targets set three feet apart. Targets would be hanging 8" steel like a steel challenge stage. The center target will be the stop plate for this drill. Four shooting boxes 3 yards apart centered on the stop plate, with the first boxes at the 12 yard line, the back boxes at the 15 yrd line.

Shotgun loaded with 9 rounds, 16 rounds on your person. While standing in the first box (you choose) shoot the five targets with one shot each (hitting the center stop plate last), move to the next box in a clockwise rotation shooting the five targets from each new box you come to until you are empty. Add five seconds for each miss and fifteen for a failure to engage.

The drill tests your speed to first shot on target, transitions between targets, reloading on the move while moving to the front, strong side, weak side, rear, and reloading speed.

The drill takes one 25 round box of ammo and so far I have the time right at 21 seconds on my second try, I am loading weak hand four at a time . You will be shooting 25 shots and reloading 16 rounds any way you see fit.

It would be interesting to see how the times of open shooters with sticks loaded with four rounds, or Saiga mags loaded with four rounds would compare. Also interested to see what the new 2x2 times would be.

Edited by Brian Payne

Any of the stands and targets used for Steel Challenge would work.

I had a local welder put together some heavy duty "H" stands for sticking 1x2's into so I could staple IPSC targets up. I then had him take some five foot long steel rod bent into an "L" at the top, the lower part of the leg had a kicker welded to it that would just fit into the "1x2" slot so that I could slide the lower part into it. At the top I had had 8" plates welded to several of these hanger rods. I can put five stands down, slide the rods into the slot and I am good to go. They work great for handgun or shotgun.

Jesse, I will be driving my motorhome over to the shoot later today so I will see you there. I heard we might be squadded together so I will get to learn some new tricks.

Ran this on Saturday. I'll give you a comparison, 4 times each, best times listed:

Single load off arm-band: 34.75 (One run had a FTE for a dropped shell)

Weak hand load off traditional caddies: 37.62 (Only one run was clean)

TWinS load off vest: 23.89 (4 runs within 1 second of each other clean)

TWinS load off caddie: 25.33 (3 clean runs, 1 had an FTE for a dropped shell)

21 seconds is pretty darn fast!

Would somebody help a dumb guy out?

4 boxes 3 yards apart with the first box at 12 and the last box a 15?

How do I fit all 4 boxes within that 3 yards when they must be 3 yards apart AND centered on the stop plate?

Are they set on the diagonal? That would work.

Move clockwise...are the boxes in a circle?

I am just reading the words but not getting the picture.

Once you explain that do we start in the first box (12) and move backwards to the 15?

Like I said I ain't all that bright so could you help a brother out?

You all seem to get it, I'm feeling :blink:

Thanks

Patrick

I bet I would never pass one of Brian's DUI tests even sober :roflol:

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Would somebody help a dumb guy out?

4 boxes 3 yards apart with the first box at 12 and the last box a 15?

How do I fit all 4 boxes within that 3 yards when they must be 3 yards apart AND centered on the stop plate?

Are they set on the diagonal? That would work.

Move clockwise...are the boxes in a circle?

I am just reading the words but not getting the picture.

Once you explain that do we start in the first box (12) and move backwards to the 15?

Like I said I ain't all that bright so could you help a brother out?

You all seem to get it, I'm feeling :blink:

Thanks

Patrick

I bet I would never pass one of Brian's DUI tests even sober :roflol:

I don't get it either. I'm thinking they're in a circle or diamond pattern. There's only 4 shooting boxes and five strings of fire. So moving in a clockwise direction, or ccw, would bring you back to the original box to finish the drill. I like it, that's a cool drill. :cheers:

I just ran this drill at work in my head and I am positive given the course description 12 seconds was my time.

Of course we really don't know what the course of fire is but MarkCO does and he ain't telling.

I guess he is mad at me or something.

Oh well

Patrick

Sorry guys, I will try to explain it a little better.

First the box lay out. Picture a big square with a shooting box in each corner. The front edge of the front two boxes would be 12 yards from the target line and 3 yrds apart. The front of the back two boxes would be at the 15 yrd line and 3 yrds apart. The center spot between the first two boxes would be centered on the stop plate. In other words, if you stood between the two boxes at the 12 yrd line and faced directly down range you would be looking straight at the stop plate 12 yrds away (if you were between the two boxes on the 15 yrd line you would be looking at the exact same thing only it would be 15 yrds away). The rest of the targets would be set 1 yrd apart, two on each side of the stop plate.

The drill would start in the box of your choosing. At the beep, fire five rounds hitting the stop plate last, then move clockwise to the next box. If you started in the front left box, you would move to your right. When you get to the next box, fire five rounds from the box, then continue to the next box (moving backwards this time), then fire your five rounds, then move to the left, etc. until you are out of ammo. Start in any box you choose, just move to the next box to fire your next five rounds. Of course loading between the boxes would be the most time efficient method.

Running the drill properly will give you loading on the move while moving forward, back, sideways to your strong side, and sideways to your weak side. You will practice target transitions, and first target hits from the low ready.

I hope that explains it a little better.

Pat, no need to worry about passing a DUI test, I normally "Beat and Release". :cheers:

Not mad, just at the baseball game. I set it up in a square. I guess it made sense to me because that is how we laid out a similar drill, walking the box. My square was centered on the stop plate like Brian said.

IF....and I mean IF the range you are at has 'softer' ground, you could use a shepard hook to hang the steel on. This is what we used this last weekend at the Tactical Shotgun Championships. Just drill a hole in the plate and hang it from the hook. If you hit the plate.....you will know it, it flops all over the place.

Tim

Brian,

I no longer shoot 3 gun because of a shooting shoulder problem. Yes, I miss it

a lot. However, the best drill I ever used to make me a better Shotgun shooter

was one from the Front Sight by Taran Butler. I think from around 2000.

We all know that shotgun stages are one by reloading, because most shooters can

shoot a shotgun. The drill requires a plate rack or two plates or just two paper

targets.

You start with one in the chamber and one in the mag tube and your side saddle or

whatever you use to reload from full. Timer on delay; shotgun at any position you

want to practice from. On the beep you shoot one plate or target and then reload

your mag tube full and shoot the second plate or target. You only shoot two rounds,

but you've practiced your reloading. Sometimes I would then shoot the entire plate

rack as shooting practice. Other times I would unload the gun and start again.

I believe Taran reloaded 8 rounds and shot the drill in 7 seconds. I could shoot

it in 7 seconds, but my side saddle only held 7 rounds. But, I was happy with

that and believe me its great practice.

Sparky

SNIP..You start with one in the chamber and one in the mag tube and your side saddle or

whatever you use to reload from full. Timer on delay; shotgun at any position you

want to practice from. On the beep you shoot one plate or target and then reload

your mag tube full and shoot the second plate or target. You only shoot two rounds,

but you've practiced your reloading. Sometimes I would then shoot the entire plate

rack as shooting practice. Other times I would unload the gun and start again.

I believe Taran reloaded 8 rounds and shot the drill in 7 seconds. I could shoot

it in 7 seconds, but my side saddle only held 7 rounds. But, I was happy with

that and believe me its great practice.

Sparky

Exactly what I do to compare the various loading techniques. Similar to what folks are doing for their dryfire practice except using dummy rounds, so obviously no shooting.

• 9 months later...

We ran this as part of a little local match.

Here is a photo: 2012-06-02MGSt5.jpg

Used 8" colt speed plates. Which made the shots a bit tougher. Here is a list of the times:

EricM dubbed it "Payne's 6 Dollar Square Dance"

Eric M 29.99

Mark P 31.59

Jay W 42.17

Dan B 47.61

Chris P 59.98

Dan T 62.63

Sid S 99.45

Ron W 183.02 (Open Pistol, 33.02 raw)

Edited by MarkCO