Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blackhawk Serpa lock

STIGUY

I cannot speak for that particular gun, but I have used one with a Glock 19 and had no problems. You will have to practice some, but basically you just extend your index finger as if you were laying it along the slide of the gun and it will be right there on the lock release.

Many of the top tactical training schools have banned the Serpa. A few IDPA clubs have also banned the Serpa.

This video is pretty good at showing peoples concerns with it.

Many of the top tactical training schools have banned the Serpa. A few IDPA clubs have also banned the Serpa.

As have a number of schools.

I don't recommend them.

I don't recommend them.

The serpa is the first holster I ever used... Before watching that video, I couldn't even figure out how people would AD with it... If you read and follow the instructions for this holster, you will never have an AD... Also, one thing to note, the way the locking mechanism is lined up, if your finger is improperly pressing the button when you pull the gun out, it will actually line up with the frame, not the trigger...

I don't recommend them.

The serpa is the first holster I ever used... Before watching that video, I couldn't even figure out how people would AD with it... If you read and follow the instructions for this holster, you will never have an AD... Also, one thing to note, the way the locking mechanism is lined up, if your finger is improperly pressing the button when you pull the gun out, it will actually line up with the frame, not the trigger...

While this is true going slow, in reality it doesn't happen at speed. There are exceptions.

Not to add to the back and forth, but an interesting issue (dont ask how we found out) is that if you put the handgun in backwards...... a technique taught for one handed reload operation, as if incapacited in the primary arm..... is that the gun is locked....and I mean LOCKED in there. You have to take to whole thing apart to free the hadgun. Not a deal breaker, but a real need to know issue.

I've also heard the holster can lockup if you get debris in the locking mechanism, it locks so tight you can't get the gun out. Just something to keep in mind if your shooting IDPA/IPSC 3 gun and need to go prone with the rifle.

Every holster has its pros and cons, real or perceived. I think holstering up with your finger on the trigger is a bad idea no matter what holster you have. They do have the potential to lock up, especially if you get a shirt or jacket in there while holstering. I love them for a duty holster. As far as locking up if a firearm is put in backwards, thats firearm specific. I know not all will accept the handgun backwards. For range use i think theres better, smoother drawing holsters. But what do I know.

I used one during a rigorous 2 day (including night) defensive class and later in a even more rigorous 3 day class and also used it in several USPSA matches and never had a single problem. It may just be the combination of my gun (a Glock 19) and holster (the CQC not the Sportster) but when I draw my finger naturally ends up right along the slide.

It's worth noting that there are some real differences between the CQC and the Sportster and it was the latter that was being discussed in the video. I've looked at the Sportster and didn't much care for the way it was made.

As always, your mileage may/will vary.

• 3 weeks later...

I used one for 8 months or so, never an issue. ND's aren't due to anything other than user error, with regard to SERPA bans. The lock will indeed slow you down but only minutely. Once you improve and become proficient with your draw stroke you can always upgrade. If anything my BlackHawk helped reinforce good trigger discipline. My finger always rests on the side of the frame during my drawstroke. YMMV.

Recently purchased the Holster to try with this pistiol. It is a little loose, but is secure with the lock. Is this holster good for IDPA or will the lock be hunderance in the end?

To stick with answering your original question.

I have used a SERPA for my XD and my M&P for over 3 years now and had no issues whatsoever. I also have Comp-tac's and use them as well. I like the retention part on the SERPA for 3 gun especially because I don't have to worry about the gun popping out of the holster when it shouldn't! Will it slow you down a bit, yes. There have been several people who have tested the holsters and any type of retention will slow you down about .3 to .5 seconds. I have timed this myself and found it to be true. The extra time there is the only reason I am moving away from a SERPA.

Now, onto the topic that usually derails SERPA questions....Sigh....

Like anything else, if you do not practice with it to do it correctly you will have issues. You have to draw with a flat index finger! If you *curl your finger* or do something else that gets your finger on the trigger *before it should be there*...sure it will ND! No argument at all there! Would I recommend a SERPA to a new shooter *without them practicing with it*, no because they do require an extra step that must be trained into place so that it is subconscious/automatic. SERPA holsters do require some practice to use properly when "under stress"

My issue when people label them as "bad holsters" is this. No matter what anyone says about *any* retention type holster, be it thumb break, thumb drive, finger release, or any holster for that matter, if you stick your finger into the trigger guard and pull the trigger before it gets out of the holster, it will go bang because that is what it is designed to do. Blaming equipment is always easier then owning up to the fact that the user did something wrong. No matter how you slice it if there is an ND on the draw, 99% of the time (baring a critical equipment failure) the issue is that someone got their finger on the trigger before they should have no matter what holster they are using. I file that under "user error" and move on.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by Classic_jon

I have seen the video of the ND, and the only problem with that argument is that he was using a 5.11 Thumbdrive Holster, not a Blackhawk Serpa. He explained in the video that he had disengaged the thumb safety instead of the retention, and when he went to pull his pistol out of the holster, he was met with resistance, and he instinctually tried to also grab with his trigger finger, causing the ND. I know that they are both active retention, and that there are people who don't like either of them. I do like my SERPA, because it works for me. I have not had any problems with it, as I have used it for USPSA Production for a little over a year and continue to do so today. To each his own, as long as you do it safely. There have been ND's and AD's with ALL types of holsters...so just keep the finger off the trigger, and it shouldn't happen.