Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joining uspsa

maddox

Over the last 3-4 years I have shot IDPA, 3-gun, f-class, and carbine matches. I have never shot a USPSA pistol match.

I think I am going to try out one of the local matches next month. I know I will enjoy it so my question is this. How many matches should I shoot before joining USPSA? Should I go ahead and do it now so I can start getting classified or wait until I get the few extra pieces of gear I need to shoot limited with my 3-gun pistol? ie an extra mag pouch and 2 more extended mags.

It is really a matter of personal preference. If it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means shoot some matches before joining. Otherwise, a (possible) bad initial classifier really isn't going to hurt anything. Good luck with whatever you choose and most importantly have fun!

I started shooting USPSA with a buddy a while back. I joined right away and he got lazy about it. We signed up to shoot a couple of big matches this year and he finally joined. Turns out he didn't have enough time to get in enough classifiers so he shot the match as Unclassified. He was a bit bummed about that.

Also, I find Front Sight magazine you get when you join to be well worth it.

Check with your local match director as well -- in the MidAtlantic Section if you join at the match, we simply collect and pass along to USPSA the appropriate membership fee. You get to shoot that match for free, on that day. It's the Section's way of encouraging shooters to join....

Check with your local match director as well -- in the MidAtlantic Section if you join at the match, we simply collect and pass along to USPSA the appropriate membership fee. You get to shoot that match for free, on that day. It's the Section's way of encouraging shooters to join....

Others could learn from this. Just sayin....

Just "pulled the trigger" on a membership. That is such a bad pun. Thanks for the input. I plan on shooting my first match in two weeks.

I just joined, and I'm deployed right now. I wanted the magazine :lol:

I hope to get back home sometime next year to shoot production with a 9mm M&P pro.

A little off topic, anyone know who makes an M&P holster for a lefty (most of the usual suspects don't seem to have lefty models on their website)?

Just "pulled the trigger" on a membership. That is such a bad pun. Thanks for the input. I plan on shooting my first match in two weeks.

I hope to get back home sometime next year to shoot production with a 9mm M&P pro.

A little off topic, anyone know who makes an M&P holster for a lefty (most of the usual suspects don't seem to have lefty models on their website)?

Comptac makes a lefty holster.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Thanks, should've checked them. I even have an mtac for my carry G19. :blush:

Comptac makes a lefty holster.

Edited by SV650Squid

I was looking at the USPA membership site, and saw associate member fee, my question is. What is an associate member?

Same member benefits without the Front Sight magazine in print format. Basically saves a little money if you have multiple memberships in one household and only need one copy of Front Sight.

My question since I am about to join the USPSA is the SCSA membership worth it as well?

Well...do you have any sanctioned matches close enough to attend regularly? There is no "handicapping system" in place. There is no national ranking. If you attend the World, Regional or National events, you might as well join because you have to be a member to shoot those and if you're not already a member, you pay one years dues at that time.

I have to check with the group that holds the matches but I believe they hold one Steel Challenge match a year in my area. But I don't know if other USPSA host steel challenges in other parts of Virginia.

pm sent