Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preventing rust?

Pro2AInPA

I have a SS gun with a phosphate finish, it was great the few months I was shooting SS and showed no corrosion issues. I got lazy though and didn’t oil it when I put it away and now it has rust in some areas. You’re right though that it wears funny. Phosphate would be a fine finish if you could keep oil on it at least once every 2 weeks when you’re shooting that gun.

oil, lots of oil. I shot my Open STI in the white for about a year before hard chroming it. the gun started to look like total shit toward the end because I got lazy and neglected to wipe it down. rust stains, etc. In Hawaii the humidity is nuts

oil, lots of oil. I shot my Open STI in the white for about a year before hard chroming it. the gun started to look like total shit toward the end because I got lazy and neglected to wipe it down. rust stains, etc. In Hawaii the humidity is nuts

What I've been doing is applying some FP-10 to a rag and putting a light film of it on all the metal surfaces before putting the gun in the safe. Seems to be working okay.

silicon spray. make sure your done with your blueing etc. it wont come off.

The gun is completely unfinished, in the white.

Really depends on your climate and your sweat. I don't have particularly evil sweat, but I tried silicone oil, boeshield, fp-10, breakfree clp, and some motor oil. All of them were way better than nothing, nothing worked to keep all oxidation at bay. The boeshield, if you really loaded it on, worked well. However it left a slippery gummy coating that made it impossible to work the slide reasonably, and as it got a bit cooler out gummed up the gun to the point of malfunction and needing to detail strip and degrease.

• 2 weeks later...

pick up some edible silicone grease. i guess it's used on SCUBA equipment. dive shops sell it cheap in little jars or tubes.

you can also pick up the same stuff from a restaurant supply as a food grade lubricant.

i use the stuff on knives all the time, especially when neck knives were big, it work like a charm to leave a thin coat of protectant that didn't easily rub off, and bonus it won't kill you if you eat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Birchwood Casey Barricade works well. I keep an aerosol can and a couple of large cleaning patches on top of my safe. A good spray of Barricade on the patch and each gun gets wiped down before it goes back in the safe. No rust problems.

10 oz Aerosol Barricade

4.5 oz Liquid Barricade

For long term storage I give the gun a good coating of Barricade and then put them in Kleen-Bore VCI Storage Bags

Kleen-Bore VCI Gun Storage Bags

Mink Oil, I rub the outside down with Red Wing Mink Oil. Helps with holster wear also. Nothing will stop rust if you don't pay a little attention. Mink Oil applied after a cleaning will stay on the pistol better than anything I've found. Also brings the color up on a blued pistol.

Usually apply about twice a year. I live in the south with lots of humidity, had good results.