Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tried Rice for cleaning cases

Sarge

I get mine from Drillspot.com They will have it shipped right to your door. It actually drop ships from Graingers. If you have a business you can buy it direct from them. a 40lb bag cost me just under $30 delivered to my door. It will last a long time. I use the 20/40.

How fine is the grind? I bought a bag of the pet stuff at wallyworld and the stuff is way to big. I cleaned some 223 brass and it stuck full on a lot of cases. If its not fine enough like what you buy specificly for reloading I wont buy it anymore. Considering how small an expense decent tumbling media is in relation to the overall cost unless I KNOW its a fine grind like the good stuff I will just stay away from pet bedding.

20/40. Here is a link to the website My link

Thanks for the link. I don't have any knowledge of how the size rating compares. Is this stuff as fine a grind as what comes prepackaged from midway?

I opened a bag of the Granger 20/40 corncob just a couple days ago, and was surprised at how fine it was. Works well!

You're right, the pet stuff is too big and fills/sticks in 223 brass... :angry2:

jj

Ahh,, I should have read this first. I will be ordering some of it soon. Bookmark added. Thanks!

I get mine from Drillspot.com They will have it shipped right to your door. It actually drop ships from Graingers. If you have a business you can buy it direct from them. a 40lb bag cost me just under $30 delivered to my door. It will last a long time. I use the 20/40.

How fine is the grind? I bought a bag of the pet stuff at wallyworld and the stuff is way to big. I cleaned some 223 brass and it stuck full on a lot of cases. If its not fine enough like what you buy specificly for reloading I wont buy it anymore. Considering how small an expense decent tumbling media is in relation to the overall cost unless I KNOW its a fine grind like the good stuff I will just stay away from pet bedding.

20/40. Here is a link to the website My link

Thanks for the link. I don't have any knowledge of how the size rating compares. Is this stuff as fine a grind as what comes prepackaged from midway?

Here is another link My link that will give you a size comparison of the different sizes of media...you can also click the grit comparison photo link on that web page and that should tell you the size.

You guys need to stop cooking the rice first... :rolleyes:

I've been using rice for years and it seems to take the gunk off of the cases but not really shine it. I'm fine with the lack of shine. I may go buy some corncob media today when I pick up some fuel for my furry son.

NO SHINE? :surprise::surprise::(

• 4 weeks later...

I tried rice a few years ago. Besides being weird taking something out of my pantry to clean the brass, it didn't work terribly well. I think I read some guys are getting their walnut or corn media from sandblasting suppliers as opposed to pet shops to save money.

~Mitch

Rice hull (shell) not the one we ate :cheers:

I have heard of some folks using powdered Kool-Aid mix in with their media. Supposedly, the citric acid is supposed to help with cleaning? I haven't tried it for myself, though.

I once got some pinkish 45 ACP brass in a trade. Maybe it was Kool-aid... Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry.

• 2 months later...

You guys need to stop cooking the rice first... :rolleyes:

I've been using rice for years and it seems to take the gunk off of the cases but not really shine it. I'm fine with the lack of shine. I may go buy some corncob media today when I pick up some fuel for my furry son.

NO SHINE? :surprise::surprise::(

I tried rice a few years ago. Besides being weird taking something out of my pantry to clean the brass, it didn't work terribly well. I think I read some guys are getting their walnut or corn media from sandblasting suppliers as opposed to pet shops to save money.

~Mitch

Rice hull (shell) not the one we ate :cheers:

Rice is the one we eat, not for cleaning media

It should be the palay, the rice w/ the hull shell still covering the rice, unmilled, that should be used :roflol:

The palay is as abrassive as any media I used. Only prob is its a bit itchy on the skin

I use crushed walnut, with nufinish car polish(much cheaper than the xyz brand brass cleaner)

open lid put a little bit of nufinish car polish, turn on tumbler take a dowel and stir/break up the clumps of car polish and walnut, turn off tumbler, pour brass in, put lid back on and tumble for 1.5hrs and your good to go, if not shiney tumble a little longer,until you get the desired results.

Edited by Sean Gaines

I have a Thumblers Tumbler That I use for Cleaning 45ACP & 9MM That will make the Brass shine like Gold if you want. The Formula That I use is CHEAP

Which I like. The formula to use follows. The tumbler Barrel is Filled within 1-2" from the top with Water, Add one TBS of Dove DW soap, 1/8 teaspoon of lemashine,

then add two TBS of Simple Green, I use this & run for two Hours or longer till I get the Shine I want. This works for me better than the SS media which was a pain

since the Brass would start to discolor after they were dry. This will also make the Brass easier to load in my Dillon 550 and no discolor. Give it a try & just lay the Brass on a large

towel to dry when removed from the tumbler.