Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullet Accuracy

jrbet83

I have only used them in .45 so far, but both 200 gr SWC and 230 gr RN have been as accurate as any other bullet I have tried in the past, and more accurate than many. Sorry, I don't have scientific data, but I don't shoot Bullseye.

I tried their 140 grain bullet for a minor load, for 3-gun/IDPA, and couldn't get them to shoot accurate enough for ME. If I remember correctly, I only tried them in 4 of my STIs.

I tried their 140 grain bullet for a minor load, for 3-gun/IDPA, and couldn't get them to shoot accurate enough for ME. If I remember correctly, I only tried them in 4 of my STIs.

I tried the 140's also. I wanted to have a minor load that only required switching bullets. What I found was that with longer OAL length for 180's, I just did not have enough bullet in the case. Seated deeper for somewhat better accuracy, but still prefer 180 gr bullets for the best accuracy.

So I ended up using the same bullet, and lowering the powder charge.

I was just trying to be cheap and save a couple bucks with the lighter bullets :D

The 140gr TC will hold less than 2" at 50 yards in my 610. I am pushing them to 1100 fps though.

Hmm, I have a few left. I'll crank up the load a little, and see what happens. :surprise:

I tried the 140's also. I wanted to have a minor load that only required switching bullets. What I found was that with longer OAL length for 180's, I just did not have enough bullet in the case. Seated deeper for somewhat better accuracy, but still prefer 180 gr bullets for the best accuracy.

So I ended up using the same bullet, and lowering the powder charge.

I was just trying to be cheap and save a couple bucks with the lighter bullets :D

All I did to get a shorter OAL was flip the seater plug. Was using the round nose seater for Montana gold 180gr jhp, flipped to flat point. No adjustment on powder. Gives me a 161 power factor.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've shot a dump truck load of Bayou and Blue bullets, accuracy has never been an issue with the heavier bullets with plenty of bearing surface to engage the rifling. Using the ultra light bullets in any caliber can cause accuracy problems no matter who makes them in lead or coated lead.

If you are careful in how you treat them Bayou's give match accuracy in all my Glocks and sometimes out shoot the jacketed bullets depending on the gun. Give them a try and don't over crimp them and you will be hooked I am sure.

The coated bullets have been more accurate for me versus plated bullets. It doesn't matter which manufacturer (Bayou, Blue, BBI). The only bullet more accurate than coated lead is a match grade jacketed bullet, but were not shooting bullseye here.

• 2 weeks later...

Best bet, put the load over a chrono and see what your ES and SD are doing. Epoxy coated bullets may be a little slicker than naked lead and you might want to jigger with your crimp, oal, or powder charge to settle it down.

I have 100 of Donnie's 175 grain on my bench for testing right now. We shall see.