Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to SC

Hey guys...

My wife and I are moving to SC on September 1st. She's in administration at Marion Regional and we're looking for advice regarding a nice, upscale community in the area. We're thinking within 1/2 hour of Marion ---- so from about Conway to Florence.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a 4 year old daughter thats going to need school and an executive wife that likes fancy shopping/ dining.

Thanks.

seth

Ya'll don't no nothing about Carolina. You can go from trout fishing and rafting on the Chattooga to fine dining and coastal fishing in one day. Ever heard of Charleston, Hilton Head, and Fripp Island? They have some of the best seafood you could ask for, and places to shop that most people can't afford.

Plus the Carolina's are the home of many gun clubs hosting matches, both local and major. Not far from the Marion area, just south of Columbia off I26 you have the MidCarolina Gun Club. You also have the Palmetto Gun Club in Charleston, Spartanburg Practical in Spartanburg, and a club just east of you in Aynor, SC.

My wife lived in Florence for a year and loved it. Having lived in Lubbock, San Antonio, Sebring, Florence was the only town she'd run back to. The climate agreed with her and the A/C took the edge off the days that she found to hot/humid. The cost of living was next to nothing by comparison.

As for culture shock, she didn't seem to mind. The closest she came to feeling out of place was when she went to get her hair done the first time. Since she knew nobody in town to refer her to a beauty parlour, she took a chance on the beauticians school across from her apartment complex.

The whitest girl you've ever met was greated by a class of 100% African-American students. The student assigned to do her hair smiled, looked her over, and declared, "Honey, I haven't got the slightest clue what to do with your hair!". The class laughed and the instructor used her as a demonstration on how to style naturally straight hair.

As for schools - you'll, almost certainly, have to look at either private school. There are some nice parts of Conway, and its developing as a town.

How far are you willing to drive for matches? There's one in Georgetown, and a couple in between Wilmington and N. Myrtle.

I'll second the Mid-Carolina and Palmetto Gun Club recommendations. I've hit both clubs and the matches are well-run and draw substantial crowds.

Agree. Both clubs put on a good match. Mid Carolina in particular has GREAT facilities. I think their pistol bays may be in a former sand quarry/mine (whatever you call a sand getting place :)). Highest backstop I've ever seen :).

Edited by MGMorden

fancy shopping/ dining.

In South Carolina?? Surely you jest!sight.gif

LOL! I've lived here for 25 years and travel a fair bit. Sarge is right...not much in the way of fine dining here. But, we do have anything you want as long as you want it fried! There is a place in Columbia called Lizards Thicket that has nothing but fried food.

LOL! I've lived here for 25 years and travel a fair bit. Sarge is right...not much in the way of fine dining here. But, we do have anything you want as long as you want it fried! There is a place in Columbia called Lizards Thicket that has nothing but fried food.

I've been there :). Honestly though, for dining in SC Charleston is where its at. Myrtle Beach has a lot of the "all you can eat fried seafood" type places that are good for those every now and then moments when you just want a giant pile of shrimp, but Charleston has a lot of good restaurants with local favorites. Red rice, she-crab soup, catfish stew, biscuits n' gravy, etc. If you're downtown give 82 Queen or Poogan's Porch a try. On the outskirts Seewee Restaurant in Awendaw is also a good pick (not really fine dining at Seewee - actually as casual as can be, but they have amazing food).

Edited by MGMorden

• 1 month later...

I know you guys are mainly talking about the mid and low country since that's where the OP is looking, but... We have some extremely nice restaurants in Greenville should you find yourself up this way. Rick Erwin's, Nantucket, Soby's, The Lazy Goat, Devereaux's, American Grocery...I could go on!

EEH - Belton Gun Club is still going!

I'm heading down to Fripp in a couple weeks, what's the best shooting around there? I haven't ever thought of looking for a range that way.

OP, you find a place yet?

Edited by Gadgetech