Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling Info Needed

Philip Dedmon

Is the pistol in Chad C. post USPSA Production Legal?

Not based on his own stagement of "I raised the beavertail area, raised the area under the trigger guard and removed the finger grooves"

I think you're referring to serevince's post. The stippling is the only modification I've done (except for replacing the ext. mag release with a factory ext. release).

Curious - would "prepping" portions of the grip frame before stippling be considered out of bounds for Production based on the "removing material/changing grip profile" rule? The way I read it, stippling on top of existing finger grooves and the like = legal, but sanding off the grooves before stippling = illegal.

Almost feel like I'm diving into semantics at this point, but still interested on how you all interpret it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't reprofile. If you're just smoothing/prepping before stippling, I don't think that could be considered changing the shape. It'd be fairly obvious if the grooved were stippled over versus removed then stippled.

I gave it a shot on a polymer mag, grips, etc just for practice and finally found the style i like. tried it it on a small part of a glock frame and i was not happy at all. It looked great but i thought it would be more aggressive than it was. the glock polymer melted completely different than my practice material and it just seemed to be to smooth. I am currently using stair nonslip decking tape with is Aggressive as can be and i love it. I just traced made a template from my Talon grip tape i bought awhile ago. thought stippling would save time and money replacing the tape. are yalls grips coming out aggressive or does it just give it a nice texture for looks?

I gave it a shot on a polymer mag, grips, etc just for practice and finally found the style i like. tried it it on a small part of a glock frame and i was not happy at all. It looked great but i thought it would be more aggressive than it was. the glock polymer melted completely different than my practice material and it just seemed to be to smooth. I am currently using stair nonslip decking tape with is Aggressive as can be and i love it. I just traced made a template from my Talon grip tape i bought awhile ago. thought stippling would save time and money replacing the tape. are yalls grips coming out aggressive or does it just give it a nice texture for looks?

I did very fast ( as fast as I could) burn taps with the smallest tip. Mine is not agressive looking like some of the others, but is very grippy to me.

I did it for function, not looks.

I did very fast ( as fast as I could) burn taps with the smallest tip. Mine is not agressive looking like some of the others, but is very grippy to me.

I did it for function, not looks.

Just doesn't seem to be functional enough to me. May just send it off

I tried to post pics of my DIY stippling job but I guess I need to post more before I can. :(

I practiced on some spare pistol grips that were sitting around. The first was from my friend's HK91 and then I did one from my AK47. Both actually turned out very well and my friend still has the one I did on his HK. My AK is currently in pieces but I still have the grip.

Anyway, after I worked up the courage to do my G34 I was very pleased. It really helps with recoil control and retention. I carry my G34 every day and so some of my t-shirts have frayed on the rear right hip area but apart from that I have no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

Question to you guys: does having a stippled grip help with recoil control and sight picture recovery? I've just applied TruGrips to my G17 and haven't been to the range yet. My main gripe for the stock G17 is slow and not very consistent recoil recovery. Granted, I'm sure its more a matter of technique than hardware (my SP01 Shadow is amazingly fast in recoil recovery), but I'd like to know nonetheless. I have seen lots of Glock shooters firing much more rapidly than I can with sacrificing accuracy, and am wondering how they do it.

Question to you guys: does having a stippled grip help with recoil control and sight picture recovery? I've just applied TruGrips to my G17 and haven't been to the range yet. My main gripe for the stock G17 is slow and not very consistent recoil recovery. Granted, I'm sure its more a matter of technique than hardware (my SP01 Shadow is amazingly fast in recoil recovery), but I'd like to know nonetheless. I have seen lots of Glock shooters firing much more rapidly than I can with sacrificing accuracy, and am wondering how they do it.

Proper grip and load development with right spring set up.

Proper grip and load development with right spring set up.

Would you be able to recommend a spring setup for firing 115 gr factory Blazer Brass niners?

Sry. Don't know for a G17. I reload and shot a G35. Do a search on here I'm sure u will fine something. As far as ur original question. I'm sure if you I'm improve your grip with the added stippling, it will help with recoil.

Would you be able to recommend a spring setup for firing 115 gr factory Blazer Brass niners?

Mild thread drift, but I'll recover in my closing.

You can drop to a 15# spring for sure, and you'll feel a little difference. However, the load itself is the biggest factor in your equation, and without developing one of your own, it's not going to be enough of a difference to really matter to you.

I've always had grip tape on my competition Glock, but have stippling on my EDC M&P and the new 9 Pro I just sent off for trigger work will get an agressive treatment as well. Personally, I don't have the steady hand, steely nerves or outright patience to do it myself, but we're fortunate enough to have a VERY skilled member of the shooting community down here in southern Louisiana.

Mine will be 100% for function. I've got some pretty deep "sharkskin" on my M&P right now and while it is a vast improvement, I feel something a bit more shallow and aggressive will be more to my liking. I think the notion of "grip tape you don't have to replace" is a sound one on many levels, and I'm going for as much of a skateboard tape effect as I can manage.

• 3 weeks later...

Will I decided to go with Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron for the stippling job on my new G34 and I am very pleased. Shot the pistol over 150 rds. on Saturday and did not have the first slide bite. I think his pattern is keeping my hand from moving up pass the beaver tail. I am really glad I did not try to do this myself. Thanks Mike.

DSC00739-M.jpg

DSC00740-M.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the good info , Philip. A mistake that some DIY-ers do is bring the stippling all the way up the beavertail. There aint no muscles in the meaty part between your thumb and forefinger. Stipple only where you grip, so the gun can release when you need to adjust your grip. Like after a bad draw or if you need to re-grip after a reload. No offense or slight meant to any of the folks that posted their stippling here; their guns look great! Everybody's a DIY-er when they start!

Just wanted to mention that to add to the knowledge on the board.

Not based on his own stagement of "I raised the beavertail area, raised the area under the trigger guard and removed the finger grooves"

I think you're referring to serevince's post. The stippling is the only modification I've done (except for replacing the ext. mag release with a factory ext. release).

Curious - would "prepping" portions of the grip frame before stippling be considered out of bounds for Production based on the "removing material/changing grip profile" rule? The way I read it, stippling on top of existing finger grooves and the like = legal, but sanding off the grooves before stippling = illegal.

Almost feel like I'm diving into semantics at this point, but still interested on how you all interpret it.

How come I can't remove the finger grooves on my Gen 3 Glock and then stipple it? I like the feel of a Gen 2 grip. But I don't want to buy a Gen 2 Lower when I could just do this.(Production Divison)

Edited by GLOCK PILOT

How come I can't remove the finger grooves on my Gen 3 Glock and then stipple it? I like the feel of a Gen 2 grip. But I don't want to buy a Gen 2 Lower when I could just do this.(Production Divison)

Because by removing the grooves you are changing the overall appearance. If the frame has the thumb groove it needs to have the finger grooves to remain production legal.

I traded my gen 3 for a gen 2 just for the no grooves.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I dont stipple my glocks, but I applied emery powder #80 on them using less viscous epoxy.

I'm considering doing this as well. I've practiced on an old magazine with JB Weld and some fine sand from an art supply store. It came out pretty good, I just don't know if I want it for a permanent mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my own stipple and i think it came out ok.

Came out great! Love the look of each, and if they feel good for you and work for your application... 'mo better da kine!

Local guy is charging $150 for just the standard soldering iron job with an 1/8" blade tip... Nothing artistic about it, but it is grippy. I started practicing on the reloading tools and then some P-Mags.

• 1 month later...