Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Alabama Sectional Championship (Pistol)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word of caution from someone not even remotely associated with this match other than I shot it and enjoyed it... I would ask that you please be careful throwing out comments that might serve to damage the reputation of a match (any match). Suggesting someone gained advantage by shooting stages early or that a COF was changed from day 1 to day 2 is a big deal. A lot of people just worked their butts off for months to put on a big match for no pay and very little recognition. I'm not saying you can't raise legitimate concerns but, given the work they put in to build their match and it's reputation, I think the appropriate thing to do if you have questions about something would be to contact the Match Director or the Range Master to give them an opportunity to respond first before posting it on a forum.

As to the practice, I've had to deal with people trying to duplicate our published stages before and all the complaints from people thinking someone got an advantage by doing so. It was enough of a PITA that I now wait till the last minute to publish stages. My personal opinion is that stages never hit the ground just like the diagram so the only advantage anyone really gains from trying to practice a stage is the trigger time itself.

Other than that, it was a fun match with good stages and some really class RO's. I had a great time with a great squad and I hope Mark gives me a heads up next year so I can get my match app in early.

John

Edited by John Heiter

I have a buddy of mine that lives in bama and he said he got to run the stages at two local matches before the match.

He may have shot some matches that attempted to set up some of the stages as the diagrams were posted online (as all major matches do) for everyone to see...I know one match was fairly close in the set up while the other was not. I have also viewed some you tube videos of a club in Indiana that set up some variations of the stages for their local match also....nothing new about this concept. For the past 4 years I have used stage diagrams from the upcoming major matches for my local matches, saves time by not having to create stages as someone has already completed them for me....then again stages are just arrays of targets set up in different configurations. Just curious, how did your buddy do in the match?

My buddy did ok. I was not trying to say it was wrong or right for clubs to set the stages up I was just stating that it happened

Just a word of caution from someone not even remotely associated with this match other than I shot it and enjoyed it... I would ask that you please be careful throwing out comments that might serve to damage the reputation of a match (any match). Suggesting someone gained advantage by shooting stages early or that a COF was changed from day 1 to day 2 is a big deal. A lot of people just worked their butts off for months to put on a big match for no pay and very little recognition. I'm not saying you can't raise legitimate concerns but, given the work they put in to build their match and it's reputation, I think the appropriate thing to do if you have questions about something would be to contact the Match Director or the Range Master to give them an opportunity to respond first before posting it on a forum.

As to the practice, I've had to deal with people trying to duplicate our published stages before and all the complaints from people thinking someone got an advantage by doing so. It was enough of a PITA that I now wait till the last minute to publish stages. My personal opinion is that stages never hit the ground just like the diagram so the only advantage anyone really gains from trying to practice a stage is the trigger time itself.

Other than that, it was a fun match with good stages and some really class RO's. I had a great time with a great squad and I hope Mark gives me a heads up next year so I can get my match app in early.

John

Well said, John.

As has already been mentioned several times....GREAT MATCH!!! Thanks Mark, Sam, and all the other staff/RO's and helpers that put on a great one day match. Also thanks to all the great sponsors who contributed. It will be on my radar next year also!!!!

John

Well said, John.

Its funny, I get hounded by people asking me when I am going to post stages for my matches. I always cratch my head because truth be told, the only advantage gained is knowing a start position and the number of rounds. I don't see how any one could set the stages up and practice them because they would have no knowledge of the range to the targets, etc.

A couple of years ago, I went to a local match a few weeks before our State championship. One of the crew there came over as I was looking a stage over. He asked, "Recognize it?" I responded, "What?" He says, "The stage. Its the one you designed for the state match." I said, "Really? I never would have known this was the stage I designed." :blink: It wasn't even close to what I had in mind or what ended up on the ground a few weeks later.

Now I have set up "similar" stages for club matches so I can get a dry-run of a particular idea, but the final stage is never identical.

I wish I could have been there. Looks like a lot of our local talent did well. Congrats Corey!!! Shaun, It looks like you did alright for yourself. As did Chris and Colin.

I have a buddy of mine that lives in bama and he said he got to run the stages at two local matches before the match.

I hope that the implication is not that we set these stages up and practiced them...... We did not set them up until the week of the match, the last one being finished Thursday afternoon, and then they were all tweaked by the RM later that day.

The problem with posting the stages ahead of time, is that people are free to use them in their matches. I did go to two matches in Alabama running up to this match that had versions of some of the stages, for that very reason. In neither case were the stages exactly like ours, other than name. In fact, having seen what they had setup based on the our drawings, we changed ours be be different enough that the "practice" of shooting them at other matches, was not much help. Our hosting club had run one of these stages a year ago, and liked it so much we thought we would share it.

DCarter's reference to "Local Talent" doing well, was not Alabama Local Talent, but his OHIO local talent. One of our stages (the one we ran a year ago), originally came from Tom Tryon, in Ohio.

MK

I wish I could have been there. Looks like a lot of our local talent did well. Congrats Corey!!! Shaun, It looks like you did alright for yourself. As did Chris and Colin.

I hope that the implication is not that we set these stages up and practiced them...... We did not set them up until the week of the match, the last one being finished Thursday afternoon, and then they were all tweaked by the RM later that day.

The problem with posting the stages ahead of time, is that people are free to use them in their matches. I did go to two matches in Alabama running up to this match that had versions of some of the stages, for that very reason. In neither case were the stages exactly like ours, other than name. In fact, having seen what they had setup based on the our drawings, we changed ours be be different enough that the "practice" of shooting them at other matches, was not much help. Our hosting club had run one of these stages a year ago, and liked it so much we thought we would share it.

DCarter's reference to "Local Talent" doing well, was not Alabama Local Talent, but his OHIO local talent. One of our stages (the one we ran a year ago), originally came from Tom Tryon, in Ohio.

MK

You mean Tom Tryon from Lexington :-)

MK

I was not implicating your club or the way the match was run I had a good time. I was just stating what happened wither it helped or hurt anyone that shoot at the clubs I could care less.

Since this is a question I have answered so many times - for those that setup stages at their club matches to resemble Alabama's stages, and let's go so far as to say that they were able to 100% replicate the actual stages.....mainly excluding timing targets (swingers, drop turners, and etc.), there really isn't an advantage gained by shooting them beforehand.

I am sure many would love to argue that particular point with me. But here is how I see it - for those that have shot this game for a good bit of time, was there a single target array in the Alabama match that you haven't shot many, many times? When I used to work with folks many years ago, I would setup a simple stage and then ask if anyone has shot this stage yet. I would get a goofy look since they were thinking, "no, we just set this stage up." I would respond by asking - you have never shot four targets around a wall? You have never shot a popper? You never shot a zebra target? They would then realize they have shot every aspect of this stage many times. However, on this particular stage, they may not have assemble those parts in the exact order needed to shoot it properly.

With that said, I shot every single target array at the Alabama match hundreds of times. But guess what? I still didn't properly execute as well as I had hoped and obviously not as well as a few others that beat me.

But as Randall said, clubs trying to emulate stages for a current match is an old habit. Whether they nail the accuracy of the setup or not is not a factor in the overall results and thus isn't anything worth mentioning when commenting about the results or quality of the match.

When I used to work with folks many years ago, I would setup a simple stage and then ask if anyone has shot this stage yet. I would get a goofy look since they were thinking, "no, we just set this stage up." I would respond by asking - you have never shot four targets around a wall? You have never shot a popper? You never shot a zebra target? They would then realize they have shot every aspect of this stage many times. However, on this particular stage, they may not have assemble those parts in the exact order needed to shoot it properly.

Great post Brad! But I think you missed the most important element of our sport ....... In USPSA we are required to shoot the stages COLD (no warm-ups) and shoot well on demand. I don't care how many times you practice something. The key is to be able to show up early in the morning, look at a stage for 5 minutes, and then shoot it to the best of your ability COLD. How many of us (besides the really good GM's (Blake, Travis, KC, etc.) can really say we can do that time and time again?