Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Election Ballots

I thought with present day technology, isn't there some way they could've done this through the website. Simple, just log in and vote! ?

Sent via Taptalk for iPhone.

That would definitely make it easier and probably increase participation, though I'm pretty sure it would require a change of the bylaws first.

I thought with present day technology, isn't there some way they could've done this through the website. Simple, just log in and vote! ?

I'm sure they will do this as soon as they start automated electronic classifier processing. :roflol:

I could have a nice election system running in one weekend. - the only catch is auditing and accountability. We use a CPA firm to mail and count the ballots to assure independence, and an auditable process.

I investigated using a professional election firm that runs on-line elections and would provide the level of security and auditabily we require, but it would cost more than hiring the CPA firm. In fact, their commissioned salesman was very interested in USPSA until I emailed a detailed report of our cost and told him I would present something at a similar or lower cost point to the board, but any increase in cost would not be acceptable to us. Those daily calls and emails trying to close the sale stopped - not even a the courtesy of "thanks, but we're out of your price range".

The election is one thing that differentiates USPSA from many other sport shooting organizations where members don't vote for board members unless they are already board members. The board takes the election seriously, and will protect the sanctity of your vote even though it may involve a bit more work and expense than less rigorously administered balloting process.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply have the voting done on the user's classification page - the same way the RO re-certifications are done? That way you have to log in to YOUR account on the USPSA site in order to vote?

Wouldn't it be easier to simply have the voting done on the user's classification page - the same way the RO re-certifications are done? That way you have to log in to YOUR account on the USPSA site in order to vote?

The problem is, Rob, currently the A7 director, has access to the back end of the website. He wouldn't use that to manipulate the election, but a less scrupulous person would. Avoiding even the appearance of impropriety is important.

An reputable online balloting firm can do an election for our size for 5k... in totem.

Money for 30K members to send in their votes by mail 14K plus accounting firm cost paper and printing cost etc???

There are other issues though as in what to do with the people that don't have internet or the technophobes, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. I

Overall, I would say you could do this for a HUGE savings overall. There is no reason this can not be done with all the necessary security issues addressed.

Anyway, not really a debate I care to have.....

JT

Edited by JThompson

No one uses mail anymore, we just lost our regular Postman at work because they are cutting routes. He is a great guy and needs a living just like all of us do, lick a stamp and save a job. :cheers:

Edited by danscrapbags

• 2 weeks later...

An reputable online balloting firm can do an election for our size for 5k... in totem.

Money for 30K members to send in their votes by mail 14K plus accounting firm cost paper and printing cost etc???

If you know of a reputable firm who will do it for $5K, including a US mail notification of the ballot to members, please email me so I can look into it. The ballpark I was quoted was "about $1 per voter" - but that included the ability to vote via internet, mail or 800 number.

I don't think the board would be interested on compromising on the mailing of a ballot, or instructions about how to vote, via US Mail - which is actually a huge part of the cost of doing the election that cannot be avoided if we require the same service be done by an election firm.

If would take a bylaw change (it now specifies CPA firm), but that should not be a big deal.

No one uses mail anymore, we just lost our regular Postman at work because they are cutting routes. He is a great guy and needs a living just like all of us do, lick a stamp and save a job. :cheers:

Somebodies using the mail, I have to haul my trash to the dump, 2 out of the three cans I take are junk mail I never look at.

As an IT project manager, I can understand the call for an electronic method for voting and as a former manager at Deloitte & Touche I understand the need for accurate and unbiased accounting of our votes.

Using a CPA firm may be inconvenient but does add credibility to the process.