Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to improve in Open class

mioduz

I just started shooting competitively this year. I primarily shoot open class major. I thought I was progressing well in my shooting. Shooting near the bottom of the crowd around the C Class shooters sometimes as high as the B's. I understand that I am not going to be todd jarret over night. But then I decided just for fun to shoot limited minor at the last match with an smith M&P 9mm. I surprisingly smoked my open score. Any suggestions where to start looking to improve my open score. I know already i need to practice more drawing and dry firing so i can find the red dot more easily.

Are you more used to using ironsights as opposed to a dot?

Just gotta get the time in on the platform. If you've been shooting a while with ironsights, running a dot will be a pretty significant adjustment for you.

I just started shooting competitively this year.

Any suggestions where to start looking to improve my open score.

I know already i need to practice more drawing and dry firing so i can find the red dot more easily.

My first year, I couldn't find the dot either - it comes with practice -

try raising the muzzle a bit on the draw, and drop the muzzle as it comes

near the target - but only practice really works. (By the way, I'm still

only a Bad B shooter:( - so if you get advice from an A shooter, ignore mine.

Good luck.

Jack

I takes a while to master the open gun. Noise blast and fast reactions are the traits plus that elusive dot. I went side ways after a year of practice failed to unite me and the dot, on an upright mount. Dot practice need tos be in all sort of positions not just off the draw. Most of the itme if the dot is lost, you are short arming the gun, like at a port or leaning around a wall.

A 9 mm minor iron sight gun in a wide open hose fest is going to be faster but on a TX Star at 25 yards I'll take the open gun evey day.

If you are not comfortable shooting the open gun try two things.

1. Double plug.

2. Shoot it minor for a couple matches, that helped me a bunch.

I'm just a B however what I lack in speed I make up for in intelligence, and wisdom.

Dry fire...dryfire...dryfire! Did I mention dryfire? :roflol: And do so with a weighted mag!

Once you have done all of that...realize that you will NOT set the world on fire in your first few matches. You are NOT Todd Jarrett or Max, or , etc.

Next...practice being ready to shoot when you get to a posistion. It may sound simple but is not. Video yourself and watch. Are you really shooting when you hit your mark? Work on that and it will improve your game!

Steve :cheers:

Dry fire...dryfire...dryfire! Did I mention dryfire? :roflol: And do so with a weighted mag!

Once you have done all of that...realize that you will NOT set the world on fire in your first few matches. You are NOT Todd Jarrett or Max, or , etc.

Next...practice being ready to shoot when you get to a posistion. It may sound simple but is not. Video yourself and watch. Are you really shooting when you hit your mark? Work on that and it will improve your game!

Steve :cheers:

Steve - Getting there ready to shoot was the biggest thing I came away with from my class I took. It is huge! It works with production shooters as well, I've been mentoring a couple and those guys are catching up with me, to be young again. Think of it as 1.5 seconds at every shooting position.

I know the feeling! I was doing well in Production and was closing in on making A. But NOOOOOO, I just had to have an Open gun. Now I am finding myself at the bottom of the list every match and truthfully that sucks after being much closer to the top of the list in Production.

I just keep practicing and dry firing. It's really all one can do.

• 5 weeks later...

In open, the shooting is so much easier that everything else becomes a lot more important.

Are you behind your competition in time or points?

Is the shooting really the problem? (can't find the dot)

Are you shooting with a target focus or a dot focus?

We need more info!

In open, the shooting is so much easier that everything else becomes a lot more important.

Are you behind your competition in time or points?

Is the shooting really the problem? (can't find the dot)

Are you shooting with a target focus or a dot focus?

We need more info!

+1.

Shooting open can be as much science as shooting.

You have to know your numbers ( draws, splits, transitions, movement) if you really want to progress.

Edited by maineshootah

I just started shooting competitively this year. I primarily shoot open class major. I thought I was progressing well in my shooting. Shooting near the bottom of the crowd around the C Class shooters sometimes as high as the B's. I understand that I am not going to be todd jarret over night. But then I decided just for fun to shoot limited minor at the last match with an smith M&P 9mm. I surprisingly smoked my open score. Any suggestions where to start looking to improve my open score. I know already i need to practice more drawing and dry firing so i can find the red dot more easily.

I have found that if you shoot faster and more accurately you will win every time. :devil:

Kidding seriously it takes time and practice. I am working on open now.

Pat

Open is definitely fun but harder than it looks. I'm primarily an iron sight shooter but HAD to get an Open blaster. Feels like I'm making little to no progress. I'll shoot a classifier, think I nailed it then run the score and get a so-so %. Gotta put in the live fire practice time (which I dont do enough of) to get used to the gun/dot, no way around it. Starting with a 90 degree Cmore mount helped immensely with picking up the dot.