Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

purpose of quick detach mount

sdm74

Just getting into rifle and im looking at mounts. What are the main purposes of having a quick detach mount?

Thanks

steve

The real purpose is to aid in quick removal if the optic becomes damaged or malfunctions. If you plan to keep the optic in place there is no real need for a quick detach.

Just getting into rifle and im looking at mounts. What are the main purposes of having a quick detach mount?

Thanks

steve

The real purpose is to aid in quick removal if the optic becomes damaged or malfunctions. If you plan to keep the optic in place there is no real need for a quick detach.

Thanks, I don't really plan on taking it off once its on

Edited by sdm74

If I only had one gun/optic and did not play around with equipment so much I would not need QR mounts. But I do and am very happy to use them. I do have one optic without QR mounts, and whenever I go to move it go uuuuggh, then dig thru a pile of like a 100allen wrenches. Its always like the 98th or 99th one you try that fits, never the first.

versatility is why I like larue mounts, for quickly switching to higher magnification scopes

on my multi-gun rifles.

mainly for the purpose of load development, varmint hunting, small targets at long distances.

it only takes a few minutes to swap scopes and check zero.

During the last training class we had, it was raining a not too cold. Two Trijicon TR24 got waterlogged (two buddies of mine), one H1 (mine) and a T1 (another buddies) stopped working (that I know of). Other optics got so covered in water along with our eyepro and then everything started fogging over (the lenses of our glasses and then the glass on the optics) the smart ones in the class ditched thier optics in later strings of fire and went to irons. Optics are awesome, until you can't use them anymore. Doesn't help to have BUIS when you can't even see through the optics anymore or if you can't remove them to get to the irons. That's why you need QD. It's only not worth it until you run into needing them off and they don't come off.

My red dot is fast, and I'm in the NE, so covers pretty much all the shooting challenges I'm likely to be presented with nearby. I can switch out to my magnified optic for verifying load accuracy, plinking, etc. Or if I change my mind again about what works best for me ;)

My american defense mounts return to zero just fine.

If you plan on using more than one sight on the same rifle, you better have a good solid reliable QD or you may have to re-zero each time.

The other issue is cleaning. It's seldom necessary to do a really thorough strip down cleaning, but if you do, it might be best to do it without any optic on the rifle. But this is a pretty rare situation - enough so that having to re-zero may not be worth the cost.

For a game rifle i dont see much use. Loosing them can save 50bucks on a larue mout

I like to take my optic off my rifle when I clean it. With Larue mounts I have no need to worry about zero. Plus if the scope goes down in a match you can have a spare already sighted in for your rifle ready to go. I love Larue mounts.

Pat

I for one don't like punches, hammers, vices, solvents, etc around my glass. It makes cleaning maintenance much easier when you can just pop the optic off and set it on the bench. Besides my optics don't fit in my action block. And I sometimes change optics depending on the match. For example, if i'm going to a club match with the longest shot being 25m then I might run an eotech or acog. Well I used to anyway, since I fell in love with the z6i I can't stand to look through anything else. :roflol:

Just dont trust them to return to zero. Mine doesn't.

What brand?

You really don't need QD but that's what I use in CSS I want to quickly swap my scope over to another rifle when mine blows up.

LaRue

What brand?

You really don't need QD but that's what I use in CSS I want to quickly swap my scope over to another rifle when mine blows up.

LaRue

I like the larue mounts for being made well they just don't return to zero well. ADM and Bobro have both worked without a single issue for me and I will never buy another Larue crapper again. Watch out for the fanboys though they come running like wolves if you say anything that gets their panties in a wad :)

My Larue mounts do as well as the one ADM mount I have. ( I got the ADM when I purhcased a Aimpoint ML2 used)I have tested them several times taking the optics off and on and shooting 100 yard groups and no detectable shift in zero.

Pat

What brand?

LaRue

I like the larue mounts for being made well they just don't return to zero well. ADM and Bobro have both worked without a single issue for me and I will never buy another Larue crapper again. Watch out for the fanboys though they come running like wolves if you say anything that gets their panties in a wad :)

My experience differents with you on this. I have yet to have a Larue mount not return to zero. An example of a test was when I was sigting in an Eotech and a TR21 scope a few years back on the same rifle. I shot a group with one optic then took it off and installed the other. Then shot some drills and swapped optics again. I checked zero at the end of the day with both optics and both were still zeroed. I routinely take my optics off for cleaning and put them right back on my rifle and have not lost zero with a Larue mount yet. So yes I am a fan boy because they work!