Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I haven't heard about these before yesterday but they sound interesting:

"The basic make-up of a Sonoran hot dog is a bacon-wrapped hot dog shoved into a soft Mexican roll topped with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeno sauce, cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard. They usually come with a roasted chili on the side – sometimes even with roasted green onions. Sonoran hot dog stands are often found here in Tucson, Phoenix, Nogales, Douglas, and Sierra Vista. These stands are also popping up outside of Arizona, from New York to San Francisco. In comparison, they make chili dogs seem bland and boring.These little babies are thought to date back to at least the 1960′s, but didn’t become more mainstream until the 1980′s."

Can't find them locally but would anyone like to weigh-in on them?

post-1359-0-40764600-1309467414_thumb.jp

Saw these on some food travel show a few months ago. Haven't tried one but they look good to me - I mean what's not to like! Doubt I'll find one locally but when i travel i'll be looking for them.

Saw these on some food travel show a few months ago. Haven't tried one but they look good to me - I mean what's not to like! Doubt I'll find one locally but when i travel i'll be looking for them.

Saw that one don't remember details on it.

There used to be a little hot dog shack where they served a "Redneck Dog". All beef jumbo frank with 4 slices of jalapeno wrapped in bacon and deep fried. THEN, they put it on a bun, douse it in chili and cover it in cheese. Good stuff, hate that place shut down.

Sonoran dog sounds real good though.

Around here any dog that is wrapped and cooked in bacon is called a "Sonoran". There is a guy that sells them outside the Palladium on show nights. When I used to drink, (a lot) I would eat about three before going in and getting lubed up for the show. They are great!

You guys are missing out, these things are great!

There is a guy here in my small town with and old RV (smaller one) turned it into a hotdog truck. One of the people here at the office knows him and will call and "make an appointment" to have him show up outside the building near lunch time.

There are lots of Sonoran Hotdog places in Tucson but this place is great and the best thing is it is on the way back from 3 points shooting range. Nothing better than shooting a club match and then stopping off for some Sonoran hotdogs. :bow:

One of the things I like about these is they don't use a regular hot dog bun, they use a different style roll that has a much better texture and a slight sweet flavor. These really make these dogs stand out.

El Guero Canelo

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Sonoran Hotdog from El Guero Canelo.

img20101002133455.jpg

El Guero Canelo is not far from where I work. Not only are their Sonoran hot dogs the best in town but their Carne Asada burros are the best.

Man I'm hungry now. I'll have to stop by on the way home!