Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perishable skills

With the knowledge that shooting skills are perishable, which of the shooting skills used in 3-gun takes the biggest hit when you are forced to lay off shooting or practicing for an extended period? An extended period would be defined as 5 months or longer, examples would be due to an injury, deployed, Minnesota winter, etc..

The next question would be, does the skill actually perish? or is it the confidence in those skills that perishes?

Brian, for me it was pistol. I used to shoot a lot of pistol matches. I stopped when I get heavy into 3 gun and my pistol shooting has suffered. I dont think the skill perishes, its like riding a bike. I just think you arent as in tune to it.

planning out your stage for me. IMO thats what happened to me, because even though i didnt spend much range time and i layed off shooting for a while i was still dry firing some at home. my brain power was lacking when i got back into matches.

Stage breakdown and mental management for a long stage gets to me after a good layoff. As far as physical skills, weakhand loading the shotgun suffers if I don't practice it regularly. Of the 3 guns, pistol shooting is the most perishable. Rifle and shotgun skills seem to stick with me much better.

I would say shotgun loading skills followed by pistol shooting/reloading.

And as Jesse said, if you aren't used to hearing a beep of a timer quite often it can get nerve racking on match day.

I have just returned to shooting after a minor injury/surgery would not allow me to even hold a gun for the past 5 weeks.

In the past few days, I found my offhand rifle shooting and pistol recoil management to be absolutely horrible. It was mind blowing when my 9mm Edge felt like a fricken hand cannon. I initially thought the recoil spring must have taken a really bad set or was flat out missing. I was super shaky with my rifle. Everything else was pretty good, from movement to transitions to weapon manipulations.

Contrary to what others have posted here, my shotgun loading was on par or even slightly faster than before my hiatus. Think all my bad habits and conscious thinking was erased or something. I just DID it and it was smooth.

One thing I did over the past few weeks was a lot of "air gunning". I think that hurt the most.

Hope this helps.

KL

I have to agree about the weakhand shotgun reloading skills. After shoulder surjery on my weak hand shoulder, I found my loading speed actually increased when I returned to practice. Possibly because I felt I just needed repetition work before I started to push for speed. The lack of "pushing for speed" made for some excellent times.

Interesting to note the mental aspect of the game seems to be getting as much mention as the actual shooting skills. I obviously need to attend more matches.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was pistol shooting.

I got out for my first practice in a long time this spring, and I felt like I was relearning how to shoot a pistol. It came back fairly quickly, but I'm still rustier than I would like to be.

A five month old at home will do that to you. :cheers:

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

This thread really hits home, as I'm just coming back after a 8 year break. I left because of family issue and I was a little burnt out. Never planned on it being that long, it just happened.

Anyway, Everything mentioned is a skill that can be lost, one of the biggys is the mental part and its been slow to come back.

Shooting has been coming along, but everything is waaayy slow :rolleyes:

Without a doubt, the hardest part is my performance. I'm no where near the level I was and I know its going to be a while. I know whats supposed to happen, it just doesn't :D

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

I agree with pistol shooting being the quickest to fade. You can still shoot fast,reload,etc, but hitting say 5 inch plates at 25 yards with speed seems to fade. The way I reload seems easy to retain your skills without practicing frequently.

I was gone for a month due to military training before RM3G. When I got back I only had a week, so I only focused on pistol skills. (also had Colorado state match 2 days before RM3G) that was a big mistake. After RM3G I can tell you my loading of the shotgun completely suffered after a month+ of not practicing reloads, Rifle Off hand also took a hit, although I was never the greatest at it in the first place :P I've got a month or so before the next big 3gun match, so I'm not gonna let the lack of practice be my excuse why I get beat :P

Edited by DocMedic