Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One powder for 55g - 75g .223 out of Sig 556?

slowhand23

Trying to prevent buying several rifle powders as I start loading .223 on a 550b for future 3 gun fun. Already have a shelf full of pistol powders. My barrel is a 1 in 7 twist so looks like heavier bullets are preferred.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm using AA2460, works great and meters perfectly, I tried the extruded powders but they were a pain in the butt to use, very poor metering, with no advantage in accuracy or anything else.

Yes TAC works for both and it's what I just used up.

I think I might use up the keg of AA2520 now.

I did like the small velocity increase from IMR 8208 with the same charge as TAC.

I think AA2230 will work as well but I haven't gone over 69 grain bullets with it.

Most anything but the fastest 223 powders will work for both.

Nick

A question for those using TAC: what kind of SD's are you getting?

I've experimented some with TAC, and while I get good accuracy, I get velocity spreads that are unusually large, even with hand-weighed charges and same-headstamp brass. Which... bugs me.

Anyone else seeing that?

I've experimented some with TAC, and while I get good accuracy, I get velocity spreads that are unusually large, even with hand-weighed charges and same-headstamp brass. Which... bugs me.

Anyone else seeing that?

I'd have to check records but IIRC the ES was usually in the 30's w 69 grn bullets in a 20" AR.

Nick

VV133 works exceptionally well in my 1:8 barrels.

Yes, I know it is more expensive. It is clean and provides excellent accuracy.

it is probably silly but I just standardized on 69SMK for everything. On really short hoser stages, I use cheap commercial ammo if I have some laying around.

Anyone else seeing that?

I've not had that large of ES's with TAC, but I've heard of folks that do. I give mine a fairly healthy bit of neck tension and/or crimp though which I've heard tends to calm down the wild ES numbers. If you think about it though, even with 100fps ES, a 77gr SMK at 500yds only changes POI by around 7.5" and you're unlikely to get those kind of ES numbers. If you're seeing large ES/SD's with TAC though, try giving it a bit of crimp with a Lee factory crimp die and see what happens.

Are the 55's going to be for hoser stages under say 100 yards or do you want an accuracy load for both 55 and 75?

Yes, I've got some Montana Gold 55g for the hoser stages and some 69g Noslers for the 100+ shots. Picked up a pound of Varget but no Tac locally. I've heard Varget doesn't meter well, I was planning to hand weigh the heavier Noslers but not the 55g MGs. Anyone getting consistent charges through a Dillon 550b with Varget? Others? My buddy has the dies so I guess I'll find out later this week.

Thanks!

BLC2 for the win! Nothing meters better. It works in every ar and bullet I have tried. It also works with .308 bolt and gas guns. Commercial manufacturers still use it as well.

BLC2 for the win! Nothing meters better. It works in every ar and bullet I have tried. It also works with .308 bolt and gas guns. Commercial manufacturers still use it as well.

That's certainly another good option. I'd say BLC2, TAC or Benchmark.

Anyone else seeing that?

Metered using a hornady LNL powder measure batch loading on a turret press. 24.2gr of TAC under a 55gr varmint nightmare 55gr soft point. SD is 23.21 Extreme spread was 76fps. I suspect I can bring that down a little bit as it was the first 50 rounds of loading TAC, and after the first 5 or so, it was clear some technique was needed to get the most consistent charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Reloader 15 is the single most accurate podwer that i have ever used. I would venture to say that the standard load for 68-80g pills in .223 used for highpower is 24-25.5. RL-15 is the benchmark powder that i use to guage other loads against in terms of pressure, accuracy and velocity. If you look around you can find RL15 pull down powder.

• 8 months later...

Reloader 15 is the single most accurate podwer that i have ever used. I would venture to say that the standard load for 68-80g pills in .223 used for highpower is 24-25.5. RL-15 is the benchmark powder that i use to guage other loads against in terms of pressure, accuracy and velocity. If you look around you can find RL15 pull down powder.

I picked up a pound of Varget and a pound of Reloader 15.

I spent a lot of today fighting the metering of the Varget loading my test rounds for the chrony.

I have those 100 test rounds from 25 - 27 made up for my 52 grain Speer Target Match BTHP.

I don't know if I will even use Varget no matter how well the test go, it would clump at times and dump all over my 550.

I had tun run 15 - 20 "pre-dumps" when I made a weight change to even start to feel comfortable.

I check my weights on a digital and normally follow up with a 10 charge test on the beam, but man, the Varget was a Royal PITA regarding consistency.

I think I am going to order an 8lb jug of H322 and run with it from the reviews I have seen here.

I have a DTI 20" chrome lined barrel, and want accuracy from my AR from 0 - 200 yards with this load. (I understand about accuracy and being lined, but I want the best with what I have :))

I have polished, tweaked, and everything else. As far as I can tell with a Dillon powder dropper, I can't use Varget.

From your post, I need to play with the Realoder 15!

Edited by joey_safety