Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your club allow video taping?

I've never seen or heard of a club banning video taping. I do know that it sometimes becomes a pain in the ass when guys need to turn on their POV cameras at the line or remind their buddy to run and get the camera. I don't mind it for the most part, but when it starts to hold thing up, it has got to stop. When I am RO-ing, I try to stay out of the videographer's way, but not at the expense of me doing my job. I've made a few match videos of myself, but the fun factor has worn off. Now I just use the video during training. YMMV.

Some people don't want to be put on youtube.com. They don't want people to think they are crazed maniacs with guns.

At least, this is what I have been told. We had a scuffle about it on our range as well. My look on it is this:

Don't like it...don't shoot or get the heck out of the way of the camera.

I don't like the .40 brass (hate separating it) all over the range but does that mean people can't shoot it? Noooooooooo.

Some people don't want to be put on youtube.com.

That would be my guess... My other guess would be that someone shot some video and put it on youtube without first asking permission of the person in the video thereby disrespecting their privacy. The person who was video'd complains about it and rules have to be implemented all because the person shooting the vid didn't consider or respect the feelings of others...

but that's just my guess...no facts whatsoever

Both of my home clubs have their own Youtube channel. We have a dedicated videographer/shooter that posts videos to youtube. All you have to do is show up and you will be on youtube. Everyone is given the option to opt out at the shooters meeting. No one has ever opt out yet. This year we got more organized and put it all in one location. The last couple of years it has been scattered everywhere.

Club Videos.

Edited by Ty Hamby

The only instance of this that I have run into with my firearms forum/group, is teachers. Their school districts here in NJ, came down on them for having pictures of them with firearms on facebook/youtube.

One of my local clubs restricts videoing to the bays only and asks that license plates of vehicles and the range owner's private property not be recorded and put on the web. Not a big deal if you just record your shooting.

Personnally I try to edit out any additional shooters and keep the video to just my shooting from make-ready to reholstering.

The only instance of this that I have run into with my firearms forum/group, is teachers. Their school districts here in NJ, came down on them for having pictures of them with firearms on facebook/youtube.

Ridiculous, they are teachers not slaves.

Does the OP know the reason ? might have nothing to do with hiding, or perceived privacy, I have seen instances where video guys, never taped, never reset, had to be repeatedly called to the line, once even so far as to be told as an RO "I'll be there in a minute". I must say that the gear muct be getting simpler and more reliable because in the last couple years RO ing local and a few majors I havent seen any match flow disruptions, so I really dont see much of an issue anymore.

Did they ban black helicopters too?

*looks around nervously* there are black helicopters around me????

To be fair, we really should respect the wishes of those who don't want to be on camera for whatever their reason may be. But I don't think that it means one should shut out the large numbers of people who have no problem getting in front of a camera lens, me included. What a way to promote the sport.

Did they ban black helicopters too?

*looks around nervously* there are black helicopters around me????

To be fair, we really should respect the wishes of those who don't want to be on camera for whatever their reason may be.

Sorry, but I just don't agree. Don't want to be on camera? Don't go out in public at all, then. There are cameras everywhere in our society. If you don't believe me, talk to a detective or prosecutor sometime.

It's a harsh reality for some people, but there's no way around it anymore. If I left the house right now, it's quite possible that I'd be on camera from the minute I left my truck until I returned to it, everywhere that I stopped.