Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One powder for 9mm minor and 40 major?

XDman

Of all the powders I've tried I keep going back to Tightgroup. Works for 9mm and .40 perfectly for what I do. Solo 1000 was good but it didn't flow consistantly out the dillon. V320 is too expensive and wasn't as accurate for me. 231 is a good alternate and works in .45 too. Clays I use mostly for .45, not accurate in 9mm but you can make some mouse fart loads with it.

WST works great in both with the bullets you've listed. Only problem with WST

is its an inverse powder; in other words the colder the outside temp the hotter

the load. So the reverse applies; the hotter the outside temp the lower the

velocity (I live in Northern Illinois).

The shooters that I shoot with that use 9mm and the MG 147gr bullet use 3.3 grains

of WST and it makes about a 140pf.

I shoot a 40sw and use 4.6 grains of WST and both MG 200gr cmj and Zero 200gr fmj.

It makes about a 170pf. I shoot the MG indoors and the Zero's outdoors. But when

it gets in the 90's I'm real close to going minor with the same charge.

If you try WST please start the powder charges lower on both and work up to the

loads I've listed. WST works real good in my Dillon 550.

How clean is it in your guns? My XD Tactical is very picky!

So far I see Solo 1000, but another thread indicates Solo is not the best choice for 40.

I really need a clean burning powder with the bullet weights I indicated.

WST seems to burn fairly clean. I clean my 40 (STI) at around 1200 rds. When I shot

a production gun it was a Canyon Creek Custom Springfield XD 40 and I did not have

any problems; usually cleaned that one around 1000 rds. At around 500-600 rds, I'd

re-lube the gun and then clean it at what I've listed above. Buy a pound or borrow

some from a fellow shooter and give it a try. I think you'll like it. I have not

tried Universal Clays, but do know shooters that use it and like it.

My only complaints with WST are the published 9mm data for it is pretty scarce and it seems to be more staticy...i.e. it sticks to the inside of the powder hopper worse than Universal does. I still use it, though primarily for .45acp. It's a common enough powder that you can probably find a 1lb. jar of it at places like Bass Pro or Gander Mountain. Buy one of those "sample sizes" and if you like it, mail order it by the 4 or 8lb jug.

Win231 is old news but works great for both, not the cleanest burning but does great job, good availability, measures great and cheap too.

Edited by CeeZer

• 2 weeks later...