Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Slap

dagger10k

I just picked up my first 1911 style gun, an SVI double stack 40, and I quite like it.

However, I do have one small problem. It has the typical wide flipper looking ambidextrous thumb safeties that one sees on limited guns. When I get a really solid, high grip with my support (left) hand, the meat of my hand gets high enough to push the safety a little bit upwards. The end result is that when I pull the trigger, the hammer wastes a lot of energy smacking the heck out of my hand. I've confirmed via bic pen launch test that not much goes into the firing pin. I might just grind down the safety that's on there until my left hand can't touch it anymore, or I was also considering buying a new safety, maybe like this one: http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=861789

I'm sure I'll be able to figure out how to fit it alright.

What do people think? Should I modify the one I have? Buy a new one? Learn to grip the pistol differently?

Edited by dagger10k

My weak hand does the same thing. There are several ways to fix it. Make sure you have a nice solid "click" when the safety goes off. I sharpen the plunger as well to make it more difficult for the safety to go "on". Then I thin down the back of the paddle on both sides. My strong hand 1st knuckle can also engage wide ambi's.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you're riding your shooting hand thumb on top of the safety lever, how can the support hand push it upward? And how would having the safety lever in a slightly "up" position lead to " the hammer wastes a lot of energy smacking the heck out of my hand"?

I don't know much about 1911s, but I can tell you that if the safety is a little bit up from the fully down position, and you drop the hammer, it gets pushed all the way down. The only thing that can be pushing it down is the hammer, which is not pushing the firing pin forward very hard because it's too busy smacking the safety into the meat of my hand. I do ride the safety with my thumb, but I'm not actively pushing down with my thumb; it's just sitting there. I generally try not to exert any influence on the gun with either thumb,

I think he’s saying his grip is high enough that his right thumb doesn’t have solid contact with the safety. I have the same issue, the weakhand is high enough that it pushes the thumb above the safety. My weakhand doesn’t put positive pressure up on the bottom of the safety though (although it’s close). Think of the issue some folks have with the extended slide release on glocks.

The thumb safety does not make contact with the hammer. If your firing pin isn't hitting as hard, it means you are causing damage to the sear and possibly the thumb safety. This will eventually lead to serious problems like hammer follow, or the thumb safety not doing it's job.

I was worried it might cause problems... I'll have the guy who did the trigger job take a look at it next weekend hopefully.

Also, I removed some metal, but it looks like I need to remove even more! That safety is going to be pretty small by the time I'm finished.

You must have some big ol' meathooks !! :roflol: Kidding...

Might be a simple case of "just getting used to it" that may go away with practice and time. If not several of the already posted suggestions should be able to correct the problem.

Does the gun go bang? or does your grip actually cause a FTF?

Yeah, the safety goes all the way off, and seems to work fine. Nothing is hitting when the safety is totally off, and I can't drop the hammer when it's all the way on. So basically, it seems to work fine.

Sounds like yu need some safety, trigger, sear hammer work. They safety should have a detent. that gives it a pretty positive click on and off, I also dont use ambi safeteys and have never had an issue at a match where I missed one.

I hope not. :(

As far as the detent, that could be improved, but it won't fix this problem per se. I could still push the safety up a bit. Isn't this what would usually happen when you drop the hammer with the safety up a bit?

I haven't done it too many times. Hopefully nothing is too badly damaged yet. I'll remove more metal from that safety to make sure it cannot happen.

Sounds like yu need some safety, trigger, sear hammer work. They safety should have a detent. that gives it a pretty positive click on and off, I also dont use ambi safeteys and have never had an issue at a match where I missed one.

You might need a new plunger tube spring and make the detent deeper in the thumb safety. Have you thought about adjusting your grip to better suit the 1911? 99% of 1911 shooters like a large safety to ride their thumb on.

I was worried it might cause problems... I'll have the guy who did the trigger job take a look at it next weekend hopefully.

Also, I removed some metal, but it looks like I need to remove even more! That safety is going to be pretty small by the time I'm finished.

I would think twice about taking it back to the guy who did your trigger work (assuming that the trigger job is the problem). There are a number of safety checks that need to be done PRIOR to getting your gun. Brazos has a nice article explaining what the safety checks are. Here is another link specifically on the thumb safety.

If I understand you correclty, your trigger job is fine. When the safety is off, the gun functions normally. When the safety is on, the hammer doesn't fall. The problem is that your grip puts the safety into a halfway position. This position keeps slight pressure against the sear, so the sear nose is dragging against the hammer when you fire the gun.

You've got to find a way to make sure the saftey stays in the fully disengaged position. A stronger detent might help, but adjusting your grip is probably going to be the real answer. I can't roll my weak hand thumb up as much as I would like, because it keeps me from getting my strong hand thumb on the safety. I've thought about putting my weak hand palm on the belt sander, but I think the cure would be worse than the disease. :surprise:

I deepened the dent in the safety, and removed more metal. It's hardly a flipper anymore. Getting pretty small! However, it's just about impossible to get my weakhand to push up the safety anymore. The problems should be fixed now.

I did all the safety checks and they seem fine. Hopefully everything will be ok, and I didn't damage the sear enough to make it malfunction. I guess I'll find out during live fire tomorrow.

Edited by dagger10k

While we are at it, can you guys have a quick look at these pictures? Is this normal, or would this be considered frame battering? The recoil spring in this gun feels pretty light. Just wondering if I should switch it out before I shoot it.

post-20598-001776200 1307497210_thumb.jp

post-20598-040326000 1307497230_thumb.jp

While we are at it, can you guys have a quick look at these pictures? Is this normal, or would this be considered frame battering? The recoil spring in this gun feels pretty light. Just wondering if I should switch it out before I shoot it.

Hey Dagger,

Do us a favor and when you change subjects, please start a new thread! Mixed stuff like this makes search results confusing. Imagine someone searching for "frame battering" gets a result thread titled "Safety Slap". Not real logical.

Thanks!

Chuck