Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a mini red dot

barrysuperhawk

Hi guys, I am seriously considering building up an open Glock with a mini red dot on top of it, but I am having trouble with all of the choices. This came especially to light when I started shopping for slides with the "melted in" cut and found I had to choose which sight I wanted to use. Silly me had just assumed up til now that other than some minor differences like on-off switches, they were all just individualized copies of old School Tasco Optimas and all about the same. Now I find out that even the mounts are subtly different - Who knew?

So, educate me on the mini-red-dots. Which ones have switches, which ones are [or are not] water proof, what are they made of, what batteries do they use (or not use), etc. In the interest of being thorough, if anyone has tried any of the generic or knockoff varieties I am interested in hearing about these too [they ought to be good enough for a .22 practice gun, right?] as well as why the $400 variety is worth the $$.

If possible, let's try not to start a brand war, just tell me what you use, what you like about it, and anything you don't like.

Barry

I shoot I.P.S.C in Spain with two Open Glock 17's. One has a Burris Fastfire sitting on a weaver rail frame mount. The other has a CMORE STS mounted directly on the slide using the standard dovetail adapter that came with it.

When shooting there is nothing to choose between the two, as the sight picture they both give is virtually identical. The only advantage that the CMORE has is that it has a sliding battery tray that comes out of the side at the base. So you can replace the battery easily and quickly without re-zeroing. The Burris you have to remove it from the mount.

They both have switches. CMORE's is three position top located OFF,ON auto brightness setting and MAX brightness.

The Burris has a side mounted switch OFF and AUTO brightness. They both work great on the auto setting in varying light conditions.

Waterproof? I don't know.

Both are of very high quality construction and up to now no durability problems.

There is a similar sight made by TASCO the XT2 which is advertised as waterproof but I have no experience of that.

I had the misfortune to try a cheap Chinese made "BSA" stamped one. It lasted 30 rounds of 9mm before the lens fell on the floor. You get what you pay for ?

I have a G-17 SJC Major with a STS C-more here is info on waterproof:

The STS is C-MORE Systems smallest reflex sight. Just like our competition sights, the STS head up display provides an unobstructed sight picture in which the red dot hovers on the sight line, illuminating the point of impact on the target, creating the fastest target acquisition in existence, and unlimited eye relief. Similarly it uses a beam-splitter lens made of glass; hard coated for maximum scratch resistance, and light transmission, while the parallax free design enables targets to be acquired without the need to center he dot in the lens.

The STS uses a CR2032, lithium battery that is contained within a removable battery tray which permits battery replacement without dismounting the sight; this eliminates the need for re-zeroing when replacing a battery.

***** The battery tray is O-ring sealed, and is part of the waterproofing that goes into every STS. A 3 position switch provides automatic intensity adjustment; a high brightness setting; and an off position.

***** Water Resistant to 1 meter

Try the dovetail mount before you cut the slide. That way if you don't like the particular optic (or open for that matter) you won't have to buy a new slide.

Very good advice, but my plan is to order the slide already cut for the one I choose. I guess I need to know which of these little buggers will interchange on the same mount. They *cant* all be different, right? Anyone know of a resource that can tell me exactly how the sight cuts differ so I can maybe sort out which might interchange?

The mounting patterns for the Jpoint and Leupold deltapoint are the same (although the outer profiles could be different). The mounting patterns for the docter and burris fastfire are the same (same screw hole locations and size, different peg locations, perhaps a different exterior size) but different from the jpoint. The cmore sts is different from everything else.

I've got a Trijicon LED RMR melted into a G22 slide.

PROS: Click windage and elevation adjustments. Probably the toughest of the breed. Chicks dig it more than the others.

CONS: It has some distortion through the lens, which is pretty small. For these reasons, it is probably the slowest to acquire the dot and probably the worst choice for competition.

Bottom line: I shoot Production, so this is just a range toy... and soon to be a suppressor host.

Hope this helps!

-Randy

Edit to add: Mine has no switch so it's alwasys on and adjusts to surrounding light conditions. It uses a CR2032 battery. I've got the 8 MOA dot model and like this size for a pistol. I'm pretty sure it's waterproof, due to the o-ring and the fact that everything else Trijicon makes is waterproof.

post-30069-084824500 1307410435_thumb.jp

post-30069-093590300 1307410452_thumb.jp

Edited by double_r76

If you have the money..... it seems the Triji RMR and the Leupold are the two "real" choices.

I have a Fastfire and it's OK. I also paid $100 for it..... I don't think they are worth what they are asking new now, personally. I still like the dots in the old Docters, but they are getting harder to find.

I'm personally planning on going to Leupold here for two future builds.

I have no complaints out of the Cmore STS, I havent used anything else so cant compare, I am moving to a Cmore frame mounted though so PM me if you wanna deal,

I have a Trijicon RMR dual. No battery ever...!! Its a 9moa. outside its very bright, but not enough to glare. Have had no issues with it what so ever. It was mounted on the slide, but I am moving it a mount. Just my two cents worth.

The mounting patterns for the Jpoint and Leupold deltapoint are the same (although the outer profiles could be different). The mounting patterns for the docter and burris fastfire are the same (same screw hole locations and size, different peg locations, perhaps a different exterior size) but different from the jpoint. The cmore sts is different from everything else.

Do you know if the screw holes on the cmore sts and the deltapoint are the same? I really need this info!! :)

The distance between the screws is the same, but the STS uses a larger screw size. I can't remember exactly what the thread sizes are though. I really wish these guys would just settle on some standard mount, people are making plenty of money of of selling accessories for the picatinny rail system. Standardization isn't always bad.

most of the sights use a .550 center spacing and most use a6x32 screw .Cmore uses a 8x32 screw. up sizing to the cmore is as easy as running a drill and tap thru the holes.Almopst all the sights have slightly different foot prints . I agree standardizing would be a plus. I guess when the best is finalized the rest will fall to the side and then become the standard.

Talked with c-more recently and they have a new sight in the works called the rts Round Tactical Sight .Has a round lense the same size as the standard c-more and an adjustable dot intensity. Imagine the same sight picture without the tunning nightmare of the standard c-more. I prefer a round lense as the human Eye self centers the circle in a circle, like using a peep sight.Suposedly available in the fall. I have one pre ordered.

John

most of the sights use a .550 center spacing and most use a6x32 screw .Cmore uses a 8x32 screw. up sizing to the cmore is as easy as running a drill and tap thru the holes.Almopst all the sights have slightly different foot prints . I agree standardizing would be a plus. I guess when the best is finalized the rest will fall to the side and then become the standard.

Talked with c-more recently and they have a new sight in the works called the rts Round Tactical Sight .Has a round lense the same size as the standard c-more and an adjustable dot intensity. Imagine the same sight picture without the tunning nightmare of the standard c-more. I prefer a round lense as the human Eye self centers the circle in a circle, like using a peep sight.Suposedly available in the fall. I have one pre ordered.

John

That does sound like a pretty sweet sight, should make those side mounted cmores less ungainly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried and use the Fastfire, C-More STS, and the Delta point. If it is going to be mounted on a pistol for USPSA then the Delta point is the hands down winner. Bigger window and easy to pick up the dot. The Fastfire works great on shotguns and rifles but the dot dims out too much at dusk and night. The STS washes out pretty bad in bright sunlight, mine is now mounted on a little used AK...DP is my first choice. The Dot brightness is great for all conditions.

I have tried and use the Fastfire, C-More STS, and the Delta point. If it is going to be mounted on a pistol for USPSA then the Delta point is the hands down winner. Bigger window and easy to pick up the dot. The Fastfire works great on shotguns and rifles but the dot dims out too much at dusk and night. The STS washes out pretty bad in bright sunlight, mine is now mounted on a little used AK...DP is my first choice. The Dot brightness is great for all conditions.

Hmm, I thought that was the purpose of the max setting, or whatever they call the full power setting.