Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Meopta ZD 1-4x24 now available

Just passing this on. No benefit to me. The new updated Meopta Kdot 1-4x24 is now out (this is the new ZD mdl w/ dot and chevron reticle, shorter tube, upgraded turret, etc. ) Was told this dealer just got (3) in. Price is $799 plus shipping. Other dealers will likely start getting some in.

Nick-

Dealer Contact Info-

bryandover@hotmail.com

Bryan Dover

Hunter's Edge

111 N. Main Street

Suite 106

Kirksville, MO. 63501

660-627-2277

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very low res from the website.

1404043223.jpg

1404043223.jpg

Hmm.. Meopta USA is just up the road a piece, I wonder if they take trade in's? :D

Edited by cas

She's a little late to the party for me. And even though she has a new coat of lipstick on, she's still the same girl underneath.

That's not necessarily a bad thing as Meopta makes very good stuff.

I wished for an auto battery saver shut off feature, a smaller dot and target style turrets with an adjustable zero stop.

Maybee at the next party.

Mine arrived yesterday. I pre-ordered it in late March 2010 from EuroOptic. I was going to get a Kdot and heard of the ZD. I decided to stick it out with my Millett until the ZD came out.

I'm really happy with it. Quality is on par with Meopta. It's super clear and light gathering is quite impressive. Clicks feel positive, excellent fit and finish etc. The reticle is just what I wanted. Not too busy but I think with a little practice will be quite effective. The illumination is daylight visible like the std. Kdot (even with the shorter length). Like I said, it just got here yesterday so I haven't gotten any range time yet. My next two weekends are already spoken for so hopefully I'll get to the range around the 25th or 26th.

Fullauto,

Please post everything about this scope. I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself.

The scope arrived this afternoon, so I haven't mounted it yet. These are just my initial observations:

Size - The new Z dot is shorter than the K dot (9.75in vs 12in). The reduction in length comes from reduced tube length forward of the adjustment turrets - aside from this, all other dimensions appear to be identical to the K dot. By heft alone, the Z dot seems to weigh just a bit less than the the K dot (not much, but a little lighter).

Dot Brightness - The new Z dot reticle is just as bright as the K dot at the highest settings (7,6) - played with it a bit on the back porch in the bright TX sun and the reticle "glowed" just like the K Dot. The brightness on the Z dot does drop off dramatically at setting 4 and below (much more pronounced than the K dot). Played with the new Z dot out in the backyard tonight after dark and the lowest settings (1,2) would work well for night shooting - the reticle was very clear. Conversely, with the K dot at it's lowest setting - there is some "blooming" from the reticle being too bright on a moonless night. Indoors - with the new Z dot at it's lowest illum setting (1), is hard to tell the illum is even "on".

Adjustment Turrets - The Z dot turret caps are secured to the scope with a single small cord that threads through a holder loop attached to the scope body (nice upgrade to the old K dot). The turret adjustments themselves have a distinct "click" (better than the K dot) and feature a triangle-shaped mini-handle that makes adjustments quick and easy. An observation - the top turret (up and down) seems to have slightly more distinct "clickability" than the side turret (left and right). Adjustments are 1 click = .5 inch at 100 yards or 1.5cm at 100 meters.

Magnification Adjustment Ring - Appears identical to the K dot - looks like a standard K dot "cat-tail" should fit perfectly.

Lens covers - The Z dot has the same rear "rubbery" lens cover that came with the K dot; the forward lens cover is A quick-release, spring loaded job from Butler Creek. The forward lens cover releases easily and snaps up and out of the way, but it's very hard to close (to the point I thought I might break it) - this may get easier with use. Given the shortened tube length and my prefered eye-relief, I think I'll have to remove the forward lens cover IOT mount the scope on my Larue SPR 1.5 mount (the lens cover appears to be in the way of the forward scope mount).

Reticle - I'll preface this section by saying the owners manual was in Czech and had no English translation so most of this data is by observation and not "by the book" since I can't read the book. The ballistic chevrons in the reticle seems to be a great feature (this is really the only reason I decided to try this scope). From what I can decipher in the owners manual, it seems the idea is to zero the rifle at 100 meters using the dot (not sure what "part of the dot" - again, I can't read Czech). The chevrons are very distinct and easy to see once I got the eye-relief correctly adjusted on the scope. As expected, the distance between the 2nd and 3rd chevron was slightly greater than the distance between the 1st and 2nd chevron. I was able to decipher the following drops from the manual (guess the manual assumes a higher velocity / flatter trajectory for 5.56 than .223):

5.56 NATO

Dot - 100 meters

1st Chevron - 300 meters

2nd Chevron - 400 meters

3rd Chevron - 500 meters

.223 Remington

Dot - 100 meters

1st Chevron - 300 meters

2nd Chevron - 370 meters

3rd Chevron - 480 meters

7.62x39

Dot - 100 meters

1st Chevron - 220 meters

2nd Chevron - 290 meters

3rd Chevron - 360 meters

I've been waiting for this scope to hit the market since it was first announced at SHOT 2010. I'm not ready to make any real judgments until I put it through some hard shooting under match conditions, but at first glance it appears to be slightly superior to the old K dot (with the main improvement being the ballistic reticle). Hope this helps anyone contemplating a purchase.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I'm not up to speed on my Czech either :) but came away with about the same understanding. I honestly thought the English translation got left out of my box...

I've always used a 50yd zero and am interested to see how the chevrons work starting from there.

I was told twice by Meopta USA it was designed around a 55g at 2900 FPS and running a 200 yard zero with 3, 4 an 500 yard holdover points below

oh wel, whatever, gotta hit the range and test it out to really know

Thanks for the write up Full Auto.

Got one for myself and my brother today from Euro Optic.

Looking forward to using them.

Dave -- my manual is in English. I can photocopy it for you if you like.

Robert Adams

L2723

Edited by rma_38sup

Robert,

Thanks, that would be great. I'm going to miss this weekend but might be able to make it to Heritage next week. (pesky vacation is interfering w/my matches...)

I will be at a funeral the weekend for heritage, may be able to find someone at MB who will be at heritage to get it to you.

Will let you know.

Robert

I purchased the new ZD from Euro Optic, and received it last Thursday. I just got it mounted yesterday, and have not had a chance to get it out to the range. This is my first nice optic, and I'm very happy with the quality.

@TigerFan - I don't know a lot about the operation of these optics, but the instruction manual makes it sound like you can loosen two screws on the turrets and reset them to zero. I'll try to post a picture of the uncapped turrets soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone say how big the dot is? If it's as big as it looks, that's a big fail. One of the greatest things about the Meaopta to me was the tiny 1MOA dot.