Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you see?

robot

Then why do you bother with the Forum? I mean, it sounds like you don't trust the advice given here.

To be fair, this is what he said: "I would personally not count on any one opinion from this forum."

On any ONE... reads kinda different, heh?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todds weak hand is tight againest the strong hand and looks like his weak thumb is touching the frame.

There is a difference between pointing the thumb at the target and touching the frame with it. Experiment for yourself. Go out and point the gun at a berm and without aiming at anything focus only on the front sight. Watch it very closely through the entire recoil arc. What you are looking for is straight up and down tracking.

I used to put my thumb on the frame too. I took BE's advise and did the testing and now I don't.

Here's another one to try. While dry firing, take a good crisp sight picture with your thumb not touching. Then touch the frame with your thumb while you have that crisp sight picture. Watch what happens. That happens while you are shooting too.

No. The best place for it is on top of your weak hand index finger not touching the gun at all.

hmm that's exactly what I'm doing right now, so the thumb stays straight and away from the frame right?

That's what works best IMO. Try just shooting at a berm without aiming at anything. Watch the dot tracking. Try it with the thumb touching and without.

You do not need your thumb to "control" recoil.

(in case it matters, I'm at 82% too :lol: )

It does matter You are THE MAN .See you at Cherrokee

:roflol:

So, what do you want?

3 %

Then why do you bother with the Forum? I mean, it sounds like you don't trust the advice given here.

To be fair, this is what he said: "I would personally not count on any one opinion from this forum."

On any ONE... reads kinda different, heh?

;)

I've been thinking about getting an open gun, so have been reading this part of the forum quite a bit. One thing I really like about this forum is that there is a really open exchange of ideas. Face it, unless it involves hacking up your gun, a lot of this technique stuff costs you nothing to try. Same thing with reloading and loads, as long as you're safe. If there are differing opinions, try both ways, and maybe in between too.

I hadn't thought about my grip presure much lately until I read this thread. Today I went out and tried varying the grip in my support hand and lo and behold I found a level that seemed to really work for me and improved my results. Obviously what works for some may not work for all, which is why I think differences of opinion are so healthy. Gmanbart and madscientist are both Masters. I think they're both very much worth listening to. Like a lot of things your results/experience may align more with one than the other. I'm just thankful that so many are so willing to share their viewpoints.

Yep, they both have mad skills. Good stuff to read and learn in this thread.

Now get some more video of that gun in slow motion with different loads and grip pressures defined.

Personally, I thought your grip looked good and firm. I looked at how your WH pinkie and ring finger nails looked. It's hard in a slow mo to make definitive statements about someone elses grip pressure IMHO.

Please do some more video and let us know stuff like relaxed grip, medium, full bore crushing WH grip etc.

Thanks.

Edited by fourtrax

Personally, I thought your grip looked good and firm. I looked at how your WH pinkie and ring finger nails looked. It's hard in a slow mo to make definitive statements about someone elses grip pressure IMHO.

I think this is one of the best observations in the thread. You can tell by fingernails how pressure being applied. Half of the grip observations didn't match up with what I saw, and it really don't think you can judge much when someone is just pushing the go fast button.

I got a new HD video camera that is supposed to be capable of capturing enough data to slow it down to see if you can see differences in the gun movement with different types of grips. I know the targets don't read the same, so I'm curious to see how it comes out.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a movie in slow mo :wacko:

Scott, get a camera that takes film at 120fps or more. I shot that with a Casio EXLIM FH100 at 420fps. There are higher end cameras like those used in Top Shot (Phantom HD) but that's just over the top :) (pardon the pun)

You're slapping the trigger, the further in the string you shot the More pronounced it got

Just read this article about "sweeping the trigger". http://imomags.com/handguns/2011/05/25/a-sweeping-trigger-technique/

it looks like that's what I'm doing because I was shooting 12 rounds very quickly. How does "slapping" compare to "sweeping"?

and after reading that both Todd and Rob use this technique, doesn't sound so bad after all if I can still get my hits. right?