Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Accuracy - what is acceptable

Chris_C

I have an M&P Pro 9mm that I am having accuracy concerns with. I'm guilty of not having shot longer range groups with it until this weekend. Using WWB I shot groups at 25 yards that measured between 10 and 12". For comparison I alternated between the M&P and my brand new STI 40 caliber Sentry. The sentry averaged 4 to 5", both with the bottom of the frame rested on a sandbag.

I've noticed in matches I have very few mikes, but a whole lot of C's. I'm starting to wonder how much is me and how much is the gun.

I ordered a drop in KKM barrel. I know there are mixed reviews on these but I figured it couldn't hurt given my results so far.

Do my results seem on par with others? Is this acceptable for a Production gun?

Edited by Chris_C

both with the bottom of the frame rested on a sandbag.

I would not bench rest a polymer pistol that way. Put your wrists on the sandbag and get a good grip with only your hands touching the pistol. I would try other ammo than WWB. You should get better than 10".

Btw, I would think an STI Sentry should do better than 4"-5". Perhaps relative to each other, your results might be OK?

At the state match, my wife shot 15-20-27 yd idpa targets that were mostly protected by hard cover with her Pro and was putting the rounds in just fine................In general she has found that the pro is not fond of 115gr, I think you will find that a good 124 or heavier will do better.

shoot it from a rest if you have not already. Then have a friend shoot it to verify its the gun, and not the shooter. A different brand of ammo would be a worthwhile check as well.

I would definitely try a different brand and possibly weight of ammo. With my M&P Pro WWB accuracy fell apart around 10+ yards.

Of the factory brands, Federal and S&B 124's shot the most accurate. In reloads I have found that the 147gr TC moly coated bullets and 130gr TC bare lead ~140 power factor seem to be the best for my gun.

My Browning 9mm shoots 147 grain bullets a lot more

accurately than 115 or 124 grain bullets.

Good luck - you should be able to get that down

to 4" groups at 25 yards. But, Yes, rest your

wrists on the bags - not your gun.

Jac

M&Ps seem to be very ammo sensitive, and not all of them in the same way (some like heavy, some like light). Take a look at the thread below, and go to the thread I linked in post #4...it has a discussion of the technique. For some crazy reason, M&Ps, and some other polymer guns react very differently than steel framed guns like your Sentry. Give it a try, and see what happens.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114015&view=findpost&p=1293390

This does seem to be a recurring theme lately. I have spoke with four new owners of M&P Pro 9's recently and all reported low hits. I ordered new sights yesterday, adjustable rear to allow me to dial in the accuracy. Before making this decision I ran four types of ammo through it and all were low.

My opinion:

1. Check yourself. You are typically the problem not the gun

2. Check the ammo. Guns are sensitive to different brands and weights

3. Check the gun.

Different cartridge, but my .40 S&W is a laser with 135 gr JHP reloads at 25 yards.

With 180 gr JHP, it's a dog. 12" groups would be about right at 25 yards, although it shoots those loads well enough to get the job done in close @ <=50 ft.

No idea why, but both the stock barrel and a Storm Lake DI shoot the same.

I'd try different ammo first, and bench technique second.

Edited by mizer67

My M&P doesn't like 115s. It shoots the BBI 147 very tight (2" off hand @ 15 yards)with a flier or two during each group, the XTP 147 and Zero 147s well at about 2 1/2" off hand, and the Berry and MG 124's about the same. I like shooting both the 124s and 147 much better than the 147s. The fliers with the BBI are more than likely caused by bullet uniformity because this batch sucks when it comes to that.

Edited by Gary H.

I shoot 147 FP Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets.Through the same hole @ 15 yards.4.2 grains of Silhouette powder.At about 910 FPS.Not ganna change a thing ever.Well maybe not ever,but for a relly long time.My M&P does not like 115s either.Every single gun will shoot the same ammo just a little different.Most of the time.

J.B.

Edited by johnny1gun