Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help deciding on a 9mm for SSP

EurAzn12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about trying out the 9mm world (always shot .45) and I'm thinkin about shooting SSP a bit too, mix it up ya know? In any case I'm askin if anyone's had good/ bad experience with these pistols and recommendations for either, I know this'll end up turnin into a Chevy/Ford argument but I'd at least like to know the pros/cons of either :D Thanks for the help

-Sid

[edit]- Just wanted to put another metal frame in there that I've been eyeballing...

The Browning HiPower will not be in SSP but ESP - Single action first shot.

The CZ and GP will be SSP but the SP-01 may not make weight.

I'm not voting because of the options.

Ohhh that's good to know about the Hi-Power (is my noob showing?) Haha

Hmmm seriously considering the 34 now, this weekend I'll get the chance to shoot them both to see how they run.

For the CZ does anyone have issues finding parts/ accessories etc?

For the CZ does anyone have issues finding parts/ accessories etc?

? like what? i put some wood grips on mine (from czcustom.com). Other than that the only accessories or parts it needs is ammo. spare magazines are in stock at midwayusa. i even bought a pro-mag spare at cabelas so i would have a 3rd for my first idpa match.

Maybe it's my 1911 mindset, hammers, sears, triggers etc, little performance mods I s'pose. BTW I just drove to a shop and handled the CZ75, I must say it's a very solid 9mm. Not what I was expecting for feel and weight

I'm really a Browning HiPower type of guy, even though I use Glocks, 1911's and revolvers in competition.

I shot my first IPSC match in Nice, France as a guest of Nice Customs, in 1997 using a loaned CZ75, and equipment, that I handled the night before. I came second overall and first in class - I didn't know too much about the game at that time. The man that beat me was using a open Tanfoglio.

A CZ, while not my favourite pistol, is one that I would use any day of the week. They just plain shoot, so if that's what you like, then you wont go wrong.

Good luck.

I think I'm pretty sold on the idea of a CZ, the CZ Shadow, if it makes weight for SSP is the gun I'll go with, online it says they're 2lbs 7oz w/ the 19rd mag, which is right at 39oz for the division. Anyone know of a good place to buy them from online and have shipped to an FFL?

Check Gunbroker.com. I thought I read some where where CZ made a shadow with short dust cover to help with weight. Anyways good lick with ur future shooting I'm sure the CZ will shoot just as good as any other gun

I called czcustom and they said their shadow was within weight and legal for SSP. I think I like the metal frame over the Glock composite feel too... I'll give it a couple more days, maybe tomorrow at the match I'm shooting someone'll have a CZ or G34

Do you recommend going with the tritium sights or some type of adjustable sight?

I use a Warren/Savigny rear sight and a Warren Tactical tritium on the front.I ave install a lot of HiViz F/O sights on Glocks and others - green front and red rear. YMMV.

As someone who was a devout Glock disciple for a very long time and who's owned 17's and 34's that have been enhanced to their max potential (tried about every spring/connector combo , boutique triggers like the Vaneck's and others) I would wholeheartedly recommend going with a CZ. Just no contest in terms of what gun is just plain easier to shoot well with less effort, the CZ's are simply MUCH more forgiving.

Don't worry about finding accessories, everything is available and easy to get a hold of.

That said, an SP-01 can sometimes be tricky to make weight with, many times all it takes is using the $20 plastic grips instead of the rubber ones to get below 39ozs, though it sometimes may also require picking up 3 of the 10rd mags to do it (which can kind of get pricey as the lighter 10 rounders are kind of expensive, and, you also lose the 19 rounder's extended base pad's length which is beneficial to locking in one's support-hand IMHO). If possible (might sound weird) if you can see if the particular SP-01 specimen weighs less than 39ozs w/an empty mags and the grips off of it, before you buy, you're all set (the plastic grips weigh nearly nothing).

Plus, factor in the cost of adding a CZCustom's competition hammer and 13 or 15lb hammerspring, as that unlocks the CZ's full trigger-awesomeness-potential, the parts are only around $70 and if you're semi-handy you can install them yourself; will yield a trigger in SA that will rival or beat the best 1911's and DA will be only 6ish-8lbs and as nice as a good revolver's DA stroke.

If price isn't too big of a concern, I'd highly recommend the new 75 Shadow (http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowsadablk.aspx) as it's already set up to rock with things you'll likely desire to add to an SP-01 (better sights, comp hammer, better trigger shape, etc.), plus, the Shadow variants do not have firing-pin-blocks which allows for a lighter, cleaner trigger pull and halfs the trigger reset distance compared to a garden variety FPB-equipped B-model CZ (that's mostly what you pay the premium for).

Another option to consider is the 85 Combat models as they also do not have FPB's and are usually even cheaper than the SP-01's (though they have the older-style shorter, smaller ducktail instead of the higher, upswept beavertail found on the SP's and Shadows which many like myself greatly prefer).

Even with a B-model with a FPB, the trigger-reset length is about the same as a Glock, so they really aren't a real hindrance.

Sorry for the novel, just thought it'd be helpful to know a little about getting the most out of a CZ for our games, you could get a G34 and spend another $300 on parts and it still wouldn't really compare to a CZ with a comp hammer installed.

In terms of reliability, which is the main advantage many Glock shooters will bring up, I'd say they're pretty much even, the CZ's may be one of the only options out there that can compare to that of the Glock's, in fact, if a Glock shooter uses a reduced-power-striker-spring to improve their trigger (which a lot of guys do) they actually end up making their Glock a fair amount less-reliable than a CZ. 99% of the chatter out there about CZ's having problems is just Internet-hype or can be directly tied to weak mag springs (both Cz 16rd mags and 19rd mags come from the factory with the same mag springs, adding +10% mag springs to the 19rd mags is pretty much a must if you plan on shooting a lot), and CZ's like most guns have a few parts that are consumables and require maintenance or replacement do to their design: the slide-stop pins take a beating, and you've got to keep the trigger-return-springs lubricated so they don't get brittle and pop, and you've got keep an eye on your extractor paying attention for wear or if the extractor spring is losing steam, that's it. Keep an extra slide-stop, trigger-return-spring, an extractor, and extractor-spring on hand and you're covered in the rare event of a breakage, change those out once a year, and maybe pull your extractor for a thorough inspection and maybe a fresh spring every 5000rds or so and you'll likely never miss a beat.

Trust me, 34's are great, but 99.9% of guys who own them and who also own Shadow's end up switching to the CZ...

Point is, while of course it's always more about the Indian than the arrow, a heavier gun, with a better trigger and more built-in inherent-mechanical-accuracy can make one into a seemingly slightly better Indian, I've seen it and experienced it too, can't hurt to equip yourself with best "bow" you can ;).

One more thing: it's fun to shoot the CZ cocked n' locked in ESP too, they give up nothing to even the finest 9mm 1911's, in fact, IMHO they've got an advantage as I routinely beat the 9mm 1911's based on the "bonus time" they hand me as they almost always have an issue or two with some form of malf or by not seating a mag, the CZ's shoot like the good 1911's but run boringly trouble-free like the Glock's!

Edited by ck1