Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Gold Medal

steel3924

I recently picked up a Gold Match II in SS, and my 16yr old son shoots a Kimber Custom Classic. We will be attending our first USPSA match next month. Both guns are more accurate than we are, and seem to be great choices for SS.

I shoot a Kimber SIS. Have over 12,000 rounds with 0 malfunctions since I started USPSA just over a year ago.

It was all stock at first, still is for the most part (other than the wear to the finish :P )

Along the way I changed grips/added a Techwell SP, changed to a fiber front, and blacked out the rear tritium inserts, and more recently added an extended mag release button. Nothing "needed" changing, just did to make a little more competition friendly.

Now take your's out and get 'er dirty!! :D

Edited by Gatekeeper

Hello: I used to shoot a Kimber Grand Raptor and a Kimber Eclipse 10mm that I put 40 and 9mm barrels in. They all worked well. Thanks, Eric

I've been shooting a Kimber Super Match II in SS for 5 years. I just made Master with it. At the Texas Single Stack Championshion held at the Blackhawk Range hosted by the River City Shooters, the top three finishers were shooting Kimber, and 4 of the top 5 were shooting Kimbers.

The wonderful thing about SS Division is it's tight restrictions on modification and core gun. Most shooters ad a magwell and some a fiber-optice fromt sight. Have a smith polish the trigger and you are ready to run.

Why do you ask?

Edited by Steven Cline

• 3 months later...

I am getting ready to run my CDP in the singlestack division. I am a bit nervous because after I get residue from a hundred rounds or so it has some hiccups. Today at the range after 150 rounds the firing pin failed to hit the primer and it failed to fire. After a cleaning I went out and it ran fine. This has happened with several different types of ammo. I have never had this problem with my Raptor or my crimson carry just the CDP. It just seems this thing has to be spotless to function reliably. Thought?

I would say Kimber 1911's are probably one of the most popular and most used guns in SS division.

That's what I've seen. Various Kimbers, Springfields and A LOT of Spartans.

That's what I had suspected, but every try to find a Kimber shooting shirt????? :angry:

I would say Kimber 1911's are probably one of the most popular and most used guns in SS division.

That's what I had suspected, but every try to find a Kimber shooting shirt????? :angry:

Yeah, good luck with that one. Kimber has virtually no support for the shooting sports.

Yeah, good luck with that one. Kimber has virtually no support for the shooting sports.

I'm not sure what is going on at Kimber, because I love my 12 year old Kimber a LOT. In fact, it's probably still my favorite gun, even though the stable has grown a lot.

But you're right, besides buying ads in Front Sight, Kimber basically has no showing in the shooting sports. They refuse to donate guns for prize tables nor sponsor any shooters. It really is a shame, because when I first started shooting this game in 2004, Kimbers were the gun of choice for those still shooting a single stack. :(

I wish we could bring back the Kimber of the 1990s. Sadly, I think they're long gone though.

I suggest a Spartan every chance I get as a result.

That is just par for the course for Kimber. Their QC and CS is spotty at best, they easily spend more money on marketing than R&D and they just change finishes and add some aesthetic flare and call some of their guns custom shop as a result. I also can't stand when their guns aren't reliable and they blame it on break in like their guns are super tight custom builds. Kimber once told a customer of mine that his raptor wouldn't cycle because it needs 1K rounds break in, BS.

Hmmmm. I guess loyally buying the back cover of Front Sight for as long as I can remember is showing "no support for the shooting sports". Or making a USA Shooting model that part fo the proceeds were donated to Olympic shooting.

Why does everyone equate supporting shooting sports as only giving away free junk at matches? Or selling you a $75 jersey with their name on it, and then calling you a "Team" shooter? :P

I've got a six or seven year old Kimber Gold combat that I carried as aduty weapon for about three years. That gun runs anything I load in the mags, and I have never experienced a malfunction (typing that is probably the kiss of death). I runs clean or dirty. I took it to an police instructors course for a week and shot 1500+ ball and duty rounds with only a couple passes with a bore snake and a couple of drops of oil each day. The pistol is too pretty to carry as a duty weapon,but it feels good.

Hmmmm. I guess loyally buying the back cover of Front Sight for as long as I can remember is showing "no support for the shooting sports". Or making a USA Shooting model that part fo the proceeds were donated to Olympic shooting.

Why does everyone equate supporting shooting sports as only giving away free junk at matches? Or selling you a $75 jersey with their name on it, and then calling you a "Team" shooter? :P

It's all relative. While Kimber is buying advertising in Front Sight, Springfield and STI are sponsoring stages and matches, and STI has a contingency program that is second to none.

Don't get me started on the companies that won't even buy me a shirt to advertise for them--that's ridiculous. But a company that won't donate a cent to a match isn't supporting our sport no matter how much they advertise and try to market to us.

After all, it's not our money that should matter. Most of us aren't shooting a gun out of the box anyway. It's everyone else we tell about the shooting sports--the newbies--who make them all of their money. They seem to have forgotten that.